Catnip Nation: Documentary Looks at Unsung Heroes Who Care for Feral Cats

catnip-nation

For every one of our spoiled house cats, whose biggest problem may  be where to find the nearest sun puddle, there’s another cat who has to fend for herself. These feral cats, also knows as community cats, often go unnoticed, and if it wasn’t for dedicated caregivers who feed and care for these cats, often at great personal sacrifice, these cats would be even worse off. Catnip Nation, an hour long documentary, will explore the dichotomy between our beloved pet cats and the cats who live on the streets.

Created by socially-conscious, award-winning journalist, author, and filmmaker Tina Traster, and award-winning writer, editor and producer Lennon Nersesian, this film will take an in-depth look at the unsung and often unseen heroes who care for feral cats. You’ll meet Stony Point resident Andrea LeResche, who climbs into a tangled copse to feed a colony of cats every day, no matter the weather. You’ll be introduced to Ken Salerno, a one-man cat whisperer who makes frequent visits to a New Jersey sanctuary, where he has relocated more than 60 beach cats who would have been rounded up from under the boardwalk in Seaside Heights and taken to shelters, or killed.

feral-cat-colony

The documentary explores how it truly “takes a village” to not only care for these cats, but also overcome adversity, which can range from angry neighbors and misguided animal control officers to politicians and developers. You’ll get to know the characters throughout the documentary, and you’ll learn why they do what they do, and how they sustain themselves through such adversity.

feral-beach-cats

The filmmakers are hoping that Catnip Nation will change hearts and minds on this important topic. They are hoping that the documentary will inspire cat lovers to help ignite a grassroots movement demanding a humane solution for feline homelessness.

feral-cats

Catnip Nation launched a crowdfunding campaign to make this documentary a reality. For more information about the film, visit CatnipNation.com.

New Dr. Goodpet banner

8 Comments on Catnip Nation: Documentary Looks at Unsung Heroes Who Care for Feral Cats

1. Sean
    May 14, 2017 at 10:11 am (6 months ago)

I’m glad this documentary will bring the issue of feral cats to a wider audience. It’s so sad there are cats roaming around without owners and undomesticated. I hope this documentary helps something to be done about this.

2. Beth
    May 10, 2017 at 1:28 pm (7 months ago)

This is the 2nd such project I have heard about. So great that people are getting the word and the visuals out there to educate people and make them aware of such an important issue.
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention 🙂

3. Sharon Trafford
    May 10, 2017 at 12:09 pm (7 months ago)

I live in a gated community in Central California. I have one house cat, however, there are at least seven or eight kitty cats that come to my back yard to eat several times a day. I feed them because I don’t want them to be hungry. Am I doing a wrong thing? What do you recommend? Thanks

• Tammey
      November 19, 2017 at 7:51 pm (2 days ago)

You are wonderful to care for them. Feeding promotes breeding, however, so I would suggest contacting a local TNR (trap / neuter / return) group to help get them all fixed. If not, you will have an ever-growing population of cats on your hands. If neighbors begin to complain about the ever-growing number of cats, they are likely to call animal control whose normal protocol is to trap and euthanize. And you sound caring enough that this would bother you greatly. You’re not doing the wrong thing at all, just take it one step further so the population doesn’t get out of control.

4. almazul
    May 10, 2017 at 11:49 am (7 months ago)

Hmmmm…there’s another documentary on feral cats that is crowd funding that i just donated to…Two different films i guess….curious.

5. Janine
    May 10, 2017 at 7:42 am (7 months ago)

I think it’s wonderful they are making this film and educating people about ferals and cat colonies.

6. Sheryl Holland
    May 10, 2017 at 7:13 am (7 months ago)

Thank you – I live in Rockland County, feed outside cats and didn’t even know about this!

7. mary
    May 10, 2017 at 5:48 am (7 months ago)

Compassion doesn’t stop with fellow man! Although we could use a lot more of that, cats and animals too need mercy. I know several dedicated cat people who care for cat colonies and also give me help with my rescued cats. I’m so glad that this documentary was made; I learned about it on the Conscious Cat newsletter. I hope it makes it to Animal Planet or somewhere we can see it. (??)