Keep Your Cat’s Urinary Tract Healthy

urinary-tract-health

This guest post by Courtney Taylor is sponsored by In Clover

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are one of the top reasons why cats visit the vet. They are painful for your cat, and often lead to messy cleanup and expensive vet bills for you.

UTIs are most prevalent in male cats and may be caused by excess weight, lack of exercise and poor diet. However, the most common causes are dehydration and a high urinary pH. Crystals and struvite stones may form, which are extremely painful to pass. The urinary tract will be inflamed and uncomfortable, and may even become restricted or blocked. Urinary blockage in male cats is a potentially life threatening condition that requires immediate veterinary attention.

Common symptoms include straining to urinate, frequent and incomplete urination, yowling during urination, and blood in the urine. Because urination is painful, your cat may start to associate the litter box with pain and eliminate outside of the litter box in search of relief.

Once a cat develops a UTI, he or she is more likely to develop future infections.

Because UTIs are so prevalent, there is no shortage of urinary tract support food, treats and supplements on the market. Unfortunately, many of these products feature ineffective formulations. They’re loaded with animal by-products, wheat, soy, corn and salt. They’re using cheap fillers but charging a premium price. Salt is the worst thing you can give to a cat with a urinary tract issue. Salt makes a cat thirsty, which causes them to drink, satisfying the pet parent but providing no benefit to the cat. Salt causes water retention and results in further dehydration.

To effectively treat and prevent urinary tract infections, you must treat the problem holistically.

First, feed a high quality diet free of fillers, artificial ingredients and grain. Cats are obligate carnivores and require a meat-based diet.

Second, monitor your cat’s weight and ensure he or she gets adequate exercise. Provide puzzle toys, chase toys, perches, boxes and other enrichment to encourage daily activity and regulate feeding (and treating) to avoid over-indulging.

Flow_urinary-tract-health

In Clover Flow Daily UT Support Promotes Urinary Tract Health

Finally, feed a high quality, natural urinary tract supplement with a holistic formulation that provides support to the entire system. For a healthy urinary tract, the cat must not only drink but also urinate regularly, keeping the system flushed. To ensure proper hydration and urination, dandelion leaf is a gentle and effective choice. Cranberry lowers and regulates pH balance. Marshmallow root soothes and lubricates the urinary tract, promoting internal comfort. A natural anti-inflammatory like yucca is ideal for calming inflamed and irritated tissues.

Find all these ingredients in In Clover’s Flow daily UT support soft chews. Flow was formulated by an animal health expert and biochemist, using evidence-based scientific research. With 100% natural and human-quality ingredients, a money-back satisfaction guarantee, a formulation that promises results in the first bag, and 80% cat approval in feline taste tests, Flow is a wholesome (and affordable) solution for daily urinary tract care.

Special 20% discount for Conscious Cat Readers

Use coupon code TCC to save 20% on your purchase of Flow or any other supplement at inclover.com.

Courtney Taylor holds a bachelor’s in animal science and is the director of customer care & marketing for In Clover. Since 1996, In Clover has been providing pet parents with holistic, natural supplements with a clinical foundation for everyday care you can feel good about.

FTC Disclosure: This is a sponsored post, which means that I was compensated to feature this content. Regardless of payment received, you will only see products or services featured on this site that I believe are of interest to our readers.

20 Comments on Keep Your Cat’s Urinary Tract Healthy

1. Deb
    August 17, 2017 at 6:41 pm (4 years ago)

Are any of you familiar with Mycoplasma Haemofelis ? Constant UTI could be a result that you cat has this. And although the cider helps it does not cure. It is a simple blood test smear. Google it and read about it. My cat has it. There are different levels and some can be cured. Other can have it their whole life. The only proper med is Doxicilina 50mg once a day for 3 to 4 weeks. Many Vets will not even think to test for this, but it is a worldwide problem.

2. Clare
    January 29, 2017 at 10:18 am (5 years ago)

our cat is on 100% raw diet and does drink water,but has got 2 urinary infections in the past year, you are correct with the vet bills. i am not sure what more to do with him to try to prevent more infections, our vet said his urine pH is still high and wanted us to switch to a prescription diet which i am apprehensive about doing, would it be sufficient i wonder to add a can of prescription food to his diet a few times a week, if he will eat it. i intend to try him with the treats mentioned here to start with. He is 8 years old and very healthy otherwise

January 29, 2017 at 11:05 am (5 years ago)

I would consider consulting with a holistic vet, Clare.

3. Kim
    August 9, 2016 at 10:14 pm (5 years ago)

I agree with the comment that Raine made. The fountain with moving water definitely has encouraged my cat to drink. Sometimes he likes to drink from the “bubbling” area on one side and sometimes from the “well” area on the other, but I think both the visual movement and the very mild sound of the moving water both encourage him to drink. I believe it is well worth the money.

4. Margaret
    August 5, 2016 at 3:30 am (5 years ago)

Very interesting and informative Post and likewise the Comments… it’s one of the many things I dread; have two female cats who seem prone to this, sometimes caused by “stress” I understand, which I can believe… thankfully the male cats haven’t experienced it – and i hope never well. Hard to say who gets more distressed – the cat(s) or me! Many thanks for this advice

5. Denise
    August 2, 2016 at 2:33 pm (5 years ago)

Great info, thanks all.

6. Connie
    August 2, 2016 at 2:07 pm (5 years ago)

And yet one maker of rx urinary food feels that adding a lot of sodium to encourage water consumption is a good thing..

August 2, 2016 at 2:19 pm (5 years ago)

Sigh…

7. Denise
    August 2, 2016 at 1:28 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you so much for posting this. I recently wrote you about my boy and the prescription food being full of junk. I have gone back to his original diet and he is eating well. I just ordered these too. I read about a little apple cider vinegar water but not sure if that is safe. He also was just diagnosed with thyroid issues. He seems a little better but lost his site. I am so grateful for your blog and for Jackson. Love you.

• Connie
      August 2, 2016 at 2:06 pm (5 years ago)

I would think cats would avoid drinking water with ACV in it..

August 2, 2016 at 2:19 pm (5 years ago)

I agree, Connie – see my response to Denise.

August 2, 2016 at 2:19 pm (5 years ago)

I’m so glad your boy is eating well again, Denise. There’s not much information about apple cider vinegar for cats, but it does balance out the body’s alkalinity in humans. If you decide to try it with your cat, I’d check with your vet first. For certain types of urinary tract issues, such as bladder stones, you may not want an alkaline urine. Then, of course, there would be the challenge of getting a cat to take the vinegar…

• Denise
        August 2, 2016 at 2:31 pm (5 years ago)

Yes, I agree. And he does have crystals so I decided to be safe and just make sure he has plenty of water and food. He eats the girls food too. Thanks to everyone. He lost his sight during this battle but may be temporary.

8. Kathy Greathouse
    August 2, 2016 at 11:54 am (5 years ago)

The best thing you can do to prevent UTI is NOT to feed dry food. If you can’t feed a balanced raw diet then at least feed a quality canned food. catinfo.org

• Denise
      August 2, 2016 at 2:32 pm (5 years ago)

No dry, he doesn’t like anyway. Thanks!

9. Shauna Gamble
    August 2, 2016 at 10:47 am (5 years ago)

One of the most important but understressed part of this equation is stop feeding cats so much dry food. Cats do not have the thirst drive that dogs have, and many cats on dry food diets are perpetually dehydrated. I always add even a little more water to their wet food (which is very high quality food.) I never have a problem with UTI’s in my cats, all three males.

August 2, 2016 at 2:15 pm (5 years ago)

I absolutely agree, Shauna and Kathy. It’s why I’ve been preaching “never feed dry food to cats” for many years.

10. Raine
    August 2, 2016 at 9:21 am (5 years ago)

I haven’t seen any symptoms in my crew but I do have two chunky guys. I’m definitely going to get them the supplement treats. I have them on a high quality diet so that’s a plus. Since I started using fountains last year the clumps in the box went from golf balls to baseballs, I was very surprised and happy. Very helpful information, thank you!

August 2, 2016 at 6:57 am (5 years ago)

Thanks for the informative post.

12. Anita "Nadbugs" Schnee
    August 2, 2016 at 6:06 am (5 years ago)

Please add corn silk to the list of helpful supplements. My Bugs had a urinary inflammation caused by none of the usual suspects (dry food, I’m looking at you!) and corn silk was the answer.