Mews and Nips: The Story Behind Topiary Cat

topiary-cat

You may have seen the pictures on Facebook and thought “Wow! I would love that for my yard!” You may also have wondered whether these topiaries were real. They’re not – but that doesn’t make them any less beautiful. The images are the creation of artist Richard Saunders, and they all feature Tolly, Saunders’ beloved Russian Blue cat who died in February. Saunders never thought the images would go viral. “It’s just a bit of fun,” he told the BBC.  You can see more of these magical images on the artist’s website and Facebook page.

If you missed any of the stories featured on the Conscious Cat this week, here’s a recap: on Sunday, we talked about the waste of worry, on Monday, we celebrated Memorial Day, on Tuesday, we introduced you to a new feeder that keeps food fresh longer, on Wednesday, I explained why I won’t be going to see the movie Nine Lives, and on Friday, we reviewed What Cats Should Eat: Keeping Your Cat Healthy With Good Food. And don’t forget to enter our giveaway for a SureFeed Sealed Pet Bowl!

Earlier this week, I came across a video of baby Ruby when she was nine months old, enjoying a sunny morning in my office. Enjoy!

Image via Topiary Cat Facebook page

I’m a guest on The Pet Radio Show today!
Saturday, June 4 at 10:00AM Pacific/1:00PM Eastern
click here to listen

contribute banner ad

6 Comments on Mews and Nips: The Story Behind Topiary Cat

1. Michelle
    June 6, 2016 at 12:31 am (3 years ago)

I love the video. You were kind of interesting to her, but clearly the birds won

2. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    June 4, 2016 at 9:57 am (3 years ago)

I love the topiary cats – thanks for sharing the story!! See you in a bit when we both guest on Pet Radio!! I also wanted to let you know I received a copy of your newest book, Purrs of Wisdom! Can’t wait to read it!

June 4, 2016 at 5:03 pm (3 years ago)

That was a fun interview, Deb! I can’t wait for your new book, and I hope you enjoy mine.

3. Janine
    June 4, 2016 at 7:37 am (3 years ago)

I thought the topiary cats were fake. But it sure would be nice if they were real. I would definitely have one (or two or more).

June 4, 2016 at 5:03 pm (3 years ago)

Wouldn’t it be awesome to have one of these, or even a scaled back version, in your yard, Janine?

4. Margaret
    June 4, 2016 at 3:21 am (3 years ago)

What a lovely post re the Topiary Cat, and a fitting tribute to an obviously much loved cat.