Happy Mother’s Day 2016

Mothers-Day-cats

Mother’s Day is still a bit of a bittersweet holiday for me. Even though my mother passed away 22 years ago, I still feel a pang each year when Mother’s Day cards start appearing in stores.

I owe so many things to my mom, but the two most important ones are my love of cats, and my love of books. Even though we didn’t have cats when I was growing up, my mom was a cat lover. Of all my cats, she only met Feebee, my first cat. The photo below shows her with him. I have a lot of photos of my mom, and I’m not sure she’d be all that happy with me sharing this particular one, but of all the photos I have, this slightly blurry one, caught in a moment when she thought no one was paying attention, is one of my favorites.

Mom and Feebee

Whether you’re the mom of human or feline children, enjoy your special day. And if your mom is no longer with you, I hope today is filled with wonderful memories of your time together.

Purrs pre-order banner

23 Comments on Happy Mother’s Day 2016

1. Maria
    May 10, 2016 at 3:39 am (4 years ago)

Well, Mother’s Day was last Sunday in many countries, but luckily here in Sweden, Mother’s Day is celebrated the very last Sunday in the month of May, this year it will be May 29th.
    It’s been almost six years since my Mom left this world, she was an amazing lady who dealt with many health issues, but still always was a cheerful person. She showed endless love for cats, and dogs, and would do anything to help an animal of any kind. However, my love for insects and bugs, I probably got from my father 🙂

2. Pam Wheelock
    May 9, 2016 at 2:47 pm (4 years ago)

Happy Mom’s Day to us all! This was my third Mother’s day without my mom. I thought a lot about what being a mother really means. I have never birthed a human but I still feel a strong sense of motherhood– my children are all very furry. When it is all said and done- -Love is still love.

May 9, 2016 at 4:57 pm (4 years ago)

You are so right, Pam – love is love, no matter what form it takes or who it’s for.

3. nancymlasserre@hotmail.com
    May 9, 2016 at 8:17 am (4 years ago)

Happy Mother’s Day to you too!!!!
    I love your newsletters !!! They are informative and entertaining !!!

4. Caren Gittleman
    May 8, 2016 at 8:54 pm (4 years ago)

I love when you share this photo of your Mom. I think you have before, but I love it. I am sure she is smiling down on you with love and immense pride. Happy Mother’s Day

May 9, 2016 at 5:48 am (4 years ago)

You are right, Caren, I have shared this photo before because I love it so much.

5. Cynthia Southern
    May 8, 2016 at 6:35 pm (4 years ago)

Happy Mother’s Day and thanks for sharing the picture of your Mother with a kitty. Thanks for bringing us such great cat stories every day. All of your cats are lucky to have you as a cat Mom.

6. Ellen Pilch
    May 8, 2016 at 4:06 pm (4 years ago)

I am sorry your Mom is no longer with you. Happy Mother’s Day to you, you are a great kitty Mom.

May 9, 2016 at 5:47 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Ellen. I hope you had a great Mother’s Day.

7. Stephanie B
    May 8, 2016 at 10:30 am (4 years ago)

Happy Mother’s Day to everyone Furmoms too!

8. Nancy Faulkner
    May 8, 2016 at 10:28 am (4 years ago)

Ingrid,

Happy Feline Mother’s Day!

Am sure, Allegra & Ruby, will give mom extra rubs & licks/kisses. Thank-you for sharing a special mom moment about your mom.

Am just a feline mom. Today makes me think of all my cremated feline children. How I miss them. Along with the happy & sad times too. And the last
    two I have left.

May 9, 2016 at 5:46 am (4 years ago)

These special holidays are always bittersweet when we have lost loved ones, aren’t they, Nancy. I hope you were able to remember lots of good times despite the sadness.

9. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    May 8, 2016 at 9:01 am (4 years ago)

Happy Mother’s Day – and thank you for sharing a bit of your life with your mom!

10. Marie
    May 8, 2016 at 8:31 am (4 years ago)

Happy Mother’s Day, Ingrid, Ruby, & Allegra!
    Thank you for your daily expressions of warmth and compassion, and especially today for the poignant and beautiful memory and photo of your Mom and your first kitty.

May 9, 2016 at 5:46 am (4 years ago)

Thank you, Marie!

11. Janine
    May 8, 2016 at 7:26 am (4 years ago)

The picture of your mom shows how much she loves cats. I can see why this one would be your favorite. Have a good mother’s day.

May 9, 2016 at 5:45 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Janine.

12. Diane Ricciardi Stewart
    May 8, 2016 at 6:03 am (4 years ago)

Ingrid, I so understand how you feel. My Mom has been gone for 13 years. I am a human and pet Mom –I have one son, Tyler, and 12 adopted/rescued kitties. I will continue to honor my Mom by get all my kitties cremated as they cross RB, and per her idea, they will all be buried with me. It wasn’t until she became very ill that she truly noticed the special bond I have with cats, and she had even told me, “Don’t ever lose that”. I even took one of my kitties to visit her in the hospital (they had animal visitations once a week). Her face so lit up when I took my special needs baby in to see her. I will always honor her by being the best cat Mom I can — and my son feels the same. . . God bless you and Happy Mother’s Day. . . ♥♥♥

May 9, 2016 at 5:45 am (4 years ago)

I love that you were able to visit your Mom in the hospital with one of your kitties – and what a lovely way to honor her memory, by being the best mom to your cats.

13. Anita Botman
    May 8, 2016 at 3:11 am (4 years ago)

What a beautiful picture! My mon is still around, I’m going to visit her today, but I’d be devastated to loose her. Lots of hugs from Bibi (my catdaughter and me)

14. Summer
    May 8, 2016 at 1:41 am (4 years ago)

My human doesn’t celebrate Mothers Day because she and her mother did not get along, and her mother is gone now, so it’s pretty meaningless for her. I get to celebrate though, because I had an awesome mother, Bluesette, and she gets to retire from being a mom this year! I’m sure she is thrilled that she will get to have a home of her own soon.

15. Raine
    May 8, 2016 at 1:33 am (4 years ago)

Happy Mother’s day, what a wonderful photo, thank you for sharing it. You are a great cat mom and we hope you relax and enjoy the day.