Mews and Nips: Tortie Passed Over for Adoption for 21 Years

tilly-tortoiseshell-cat

Today’s lead story may require a tissue or two, but while it’s sad, it’s also very beautiful, and I wanted to share it with you. Tilly, a 24-year-old tortie, was brought into the West Midlands Animal Sanctuary in the UK in 1995 after she was found giving birth to kittens. Since then, she has been passed over for adoption 30,000 times, because she’s not a cuddly cat. Joyce Clarke, who owns the sanctuary, says that this elderly cat with a gentle nature often cares for blind or paralyzed cats at the sanctuary. Clark feels that at this  point, re-homing Tilly could be detrimental to her well-being, so she will live out her remaining time at the sanctuary. I suspect she’ll continue her mission to help other cats. For more about Tilly, please visit The Mirror.

If you missed any of the stories featured on the Conscious Cat this week, here’s a recap: on Sunday, we suggested that you eliminate the phrase “I don’t have time” from your vocabulary, on Monday, we explained how to cope with and correct petting aggression, on Tuesday, we invited you to join us for a free webinar on how to find a cat friendly vet, on Wednesday, we celebrated Allegra’s 6th adoption anniversary, on Thursday, mystery author Lucy Burdette introduced us to the cats of Key West’s Tarpon Pier, and on Friday, we reviewed Lucy’s newest mystery, Killer Takeout (enter to win an autographed copy!)

Enjoy today’s video of a very patient kitten waiting for her bed to be cleaned.

Have a great weekend!

Photo  via The Mirror

15 Comments on Mews and Nips: Tortie Passed Over for Adoption for 21 Years

1. dano
    April 10, 2016 at 8:34 pm (4 years ago)

Tilly was meant for a greater treasure. i’m happy for her long life, and all she’s done for other kitties.

2. Kelsey
    April 9, 2016 at 8:25 pm (4 years ago)

300,000 times?! Can that even be real? Poor girl! 🙁 I am glad she has a safe and loving place to live out her golden years.

April 10, 2016 at 5:46 am (4 years ago)

Actually, supposedly it was 30,000 times, which still sounds high to me. My guess is that they calculated that number by using the total number of applications for all cats at the sanctuary over a period of 21 years.

3. Melissa & Mudpie
    April 9, 2016 at 6:38 pm (4 years ago)

That story about Tilly is truly incredible. She’s a little angel on earth.

4. Lynn N.
    April 9, 2016 at 2:46 pm (4 years ago)

It does sadden me that beautiful Tilly wasn’t adopted, and passed over for too long! I don’t understand why not one person chose to take her home!??We had a Tortie who looked just like her, she was with us for 18 1/2 years, named Sabrina. She was the sweetest, smartest girl, who bonded with me so deeply, and she was the boss of our cat clan too, lol.. I’m glad she is such a nurturer to the other cats in need. I hope she gets lots of love and attention where she lives..Our family will always love Torties and will adopt another one in our future I’m sure! We have a multicat home always and adopt many in need….thank you for giving Tilly a home in this way..

5. Nancy
    April 9, 2016 at 2:04 pm (4 years ago)

Obviously Tilly was meant to be there, helping the disabled kitties. Sending her lots of love and light!
    PS–I have a couple of kittens that never got adopted, they are now 4-5 year old cats. But at least they are in a foster home. Many of them were “shy”.

6. Peyton
    April 9, 2016 at 1:30 pm (4 years ago)

That is a great story, and for all the blind and paralyzed cats in the shelter, thanks Tilly.

7. Stephanie B
    April 9, 2016 at 12:19 pm (4 years ago)

Sounds like Tilly has been right at home all these years.

8. june bullied
    April 9, 2016 at 9:15 am (4 years ago)

I either read this story or one similar. but I thought she was living in a shelter. a sanctuary is different. she is free to roam not stuck in a cage all day. I think this special kitty is very content to stay there. after all she has been there a very long time

April 10, 2016 at 5:41 am (4 years ago)

I think she’s exactly where she’s meant to be, June.

April 9, 2016 at 7:29 am (4 years ago)

I am glad she can live out her life there. Sounds like she’s a special kitty.

10. Marg
    April 9, 2016 at 6:42 am (4 years ago)

I agree with Summer. I think that Tilly was meant to stay at the sanctuary. We all have a reason to be here and that is her reason. I bet she does a great job too. Great story.
    Thanks so much Ingrid and those ladies that live there with you for the nice birthday wishes.

11. Summer
    April 9, 2016 at 1:54 am (4 years ago)

Honestly, while humans may find Tilly’s story sad, I think differently because I bet all the blind and paralyzed cats at the sanctuary are glad for her being there. I think Tilly is more of a cat’s cat, so maybe she is just where she should have been all along – not all kitties are meant to belong to a human.

April 9, 2016 at 5:38 am (4 years ago)

I agree, Summer – it seems that Tilly was meant to do the work she is doing at the sanctuary.

12. Raine
    April 9, 2016 at 1:31 am (4 years ago)

Such a sad story, thankfully she has someone like Joyce to be there for her, thank you for sharing such a touching story.