How to Tell Your Cat I Love You

tell-your-cat-i-love-you

I bet we all tell our cats we love them a thousand times a day. We tell them with words, we tell them with touch, and we tell them by taking care of them and keeping them happy and safe.

Allegra doesn’t like to be picked up, so I tell her I love her by kissing her nose (she kisses back!) and by gently petting her for short periods of time. Ruby, on the other hand, loves to be held, so I can snuggle her to my heart’s content, and she reciprocates by rubbing her face against mine.

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I thought it would be timely to share a video of Jackson Galaxy explaining four ways you can tell your cats that you love them. Jackson explains the “cat I love you” slow blink, the how you doing, the bow, and the 3-step handshake.

Have you used the techniques Jackson explains in the video? How do you tell your cats that you love them?

10 Comments on How to Tell Your Cat I Love You

1. Peyton
    February 16, 2016 at 6:08 pm (4 years ago)

New cat owner and I a still trying to get use to the different moods.

2. Marg
    February 15, 2016 at 6:40 am (4 years ago)

Hope you all had a great Valentine’s day with lots of slow blinks. That does work. You all have a wonderful Monday.

3. maggie@shelter-cats
    February 13, 2016 at 1:59 pm (4 years ago)

I love Jackson’s video but the very best teacher has always been my cats. I am a very well trained human.
    Happy Valentine’s Day!

4. Debi
    February 12, 2016 at 9:31 pm (5 years ago)

I knew about the blink, but now have learned more ways to communicate better with my kitty!

5. Janine
    February 12, 2016 at 7:37 am (5 years ago)

I think my husband gets jealous by how often I tell the cats I love them. I even entered a contest one time writing about the love I had for my cat Nani. The contest was about everlasting love put on by a jewelry and everyone else wrote about the significant other. People must have liked it because I came in as a runner up in the top 5.

February 12, 2016 at 8:37 am (5 years ago)

I love it, Janine!

February 12, 2016 at 7:30 am (5 years ago)

I always tell my kitties I love them. Sometimes I just put my face up to there’s and we touch.

February 12, 2016 at 8:37 am (5 years ago)

I love touching noses with both of my girls, Sue.

7. Maria
    February 12, 2016 at 3:04 am (5 years ago)

I have watched this “cat I love you”-video so many times since I first came across it on Jackson’s page (I think), it is lovely, and I adore the tone in his voice. I have learned a lot from his tutorials, and by watching “my cat from hell”. I absolutely love when I blink to my cat and she blinks back, and every time I have to leave the house, I try to find her and tell her “mama is going out for a while, but I will be back soon”, and then I ask” are you OK with that?” and I blink, and wait for her to blink back. She does it 9 times out of 10!

February 12, 2016 at 5:31 am (5 years ago)

I love your routine before you leave the house, Maria!