Conscious Cat Sunday: Celebrate Your Senses

cat-window-perch

Our senses are how we connect with the world around us. By seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling, and tasting, we appreciate life in its fullness as both an individual and a shared experience. Most of us are blessed with five fully functional senses, and it’s difficult to imagine how to get through life without any one of them. But how much time do you spend on a daily basis truly appreciating all of your senses?

I’m pretty sure cats appreciate their ability to smell every moment of every day – because that’s one of the primary ways they experience the world. A cat’s sense of smell is fourteen times stronger than a human’s. Cats depend on their sense of smell for survival. Scent signals allow them to find food, to determine whether another animal is friend or foe, and to identify their territory.

For me, it took losing my sense of smell temporarily to a bad cold to realize just how much I took it for granted. I’d had bad colds before, and I’d lost some of my sense of smell and taste before, but I had never so completely lost my sense of smell. For three days, I couldn’t smell anything: not the steaming hot herbal tea I drank several times a day, not the cinnamon I sprinkled into that tea. I couldn’t even smell the bacon a friend’s husband was cooking when I was at her house for breakfast one morning.

The experience completely unnerved me. Even though the rational part of me knew that my sense of smell was going to come back once the congestion loosened up, I was pretty freaked out. I couldn’t imagine a life without being able to smell things. What if I could never smell the intoxicating scent of that first cup of coffee of the day? What if I could never smell the scent of fall in the air? What if I could never bury my nose in Allegra or Ruby’s sunwarmed fur and smell that wonderful, sweet essence of cat? What if all those scents that trigger so many memories would remain just that: memories?

For someone like me, who is normally super sensitive to smell, this was a completely unsettling experience. I regretted every time I had ever complained about smelling something I didn’t particularly want to smell. I would have given anything during those few days to smell residual cooking odors, something I normally don’t enjoy, or even the smell of the litter box (not that that’s a big problem in our house, but to not be able to smell anything even while scooping the boxes was unbelievably strange.)

After four days, my sense of smell started to return. It didn’t come back all at once, because the congestion came and went. The first time I was able to smell my morning coffee again, I burst into tears of gratitude.

Two weeks later, I’m back to normal. The experience made me realize that our five senses are a gift, and not something to be taken for granted. And from now on, I’m going to really make it a point to appreciate all the beauty the world offers in color, sound, flavor and texture. And scent. I will never take my ability to smell for granted again.

Today, take some time to really experience and celebrate your senses. Bake some cookies, play some music you love, be aware of the dough in your hands, and smell the intoxicating smell of freshly baked cookies. Pet your cats and feel their soft fur against your hand. Take a mental pause, breathe, be present, and appreciate.

Of course, cats have that whole sensory thing down pat. Just look at Allegra in the photo at the top of this post: she’s enjoying the feel of the soft hammock, the warmth of the sun on her fur, and the breeze wafting in through the screened window.

books banner for posts

12 Comments on Conscious Cat Sunday: Celebrate Your Senses

1. Gail
    October 25, 2015 at 7:09 pm (4 years ago)

Since 2004, auto immune disease has ruined my sense of smell. Cleaning dirty litter boxes at shelter isn’t a problem for me-gentle smiles.
    If something is really strong, like house next door burning, I can get a whiff.
    Enjoy smelling.

October 26, 2015 at 5:53 am (4 years ago)

I’m sorry about your sense of smell being ruined, Gail, but you do make a good point about the litter boxes!

2. kitty finnigan
    October 25, 2015 at 1:46 pm (4 years ago)

I wrote a question to you about cats scratching and itching and using marijuana to ease the need to scratch. I also check the box to see follow up comments about this. I’ve gotten notifications but no replies to my question. I don’t know if I’m missing something or not. Is the notify me of follow-up comments by email for all comments about everything everyone has posted or about my comments? Anyways, just thought I’d ask. Thanks

October 25, 2015 at 2:40 pm (4 years ago)

I’m so sorry, I never saw your question. I’m not sure whether medical marijuana can help with itching. You really need to identify the underlying cause in order to be able to treat effectively. If you are interested in exploring the use of cannabis supplements, I’d recommend working with a holistic veterinarian.

3. Lola The Rescued Cat
    October 25, 2015 at 10:32 am (4 years ago)

So very true. I am deaf in my right ear, and though I’ve learned to compensate, I do miss things. When I first lost my hearing after a surgery music was not the same to me. Something that once brought me so much joy was now disliked. Luckily, as I healed, I was able to appreciate it again.

Now that fall has arrived in the North East, I love the crisp smell of the fall air and the leaves on the trees.

• Paula
      October 25, 2015 at 2:31 pm (4 years ago)

Our rescue Torite, who is affectionately called Lola is true to her name. She walks around with a cute twisting of her back end, which also looks like she has on high heels. She is the ruler of the cats in the home and the humans. Loving, lap cat, sleeps with me and is very possessive of her humans. She has been a much needed and loved cat for my husband who lost his beloved tabby of 17 years old, Simba.

October 25, 2015 at 2:39 pm (4 years ago)

Lola sounds wonderful, Paula.

October 25, 2015 at 2:40 pm (4 years ago)

I’m so glad you were able to heal so you could appreciate music again, Dawn.

4. Fur Everywhere
    October 25, 2015 at 9:06 am (4 years ago)

Oh my goodness, that must have been really unnerving! I have very limited sight, and there is a real possibility that I will become completely blind someday (my sight has degenerated over time already). I cannot imagine not being able to see my Carmine or Milita or all the kitties I love in the shelter. It’s already hard to tell some of them apart, but seeing their beautiful fur coats makes me happy.

It’s so true that we usually don’t appreciate something until we’ve lost it. I had surgery on my right wrist several years back, and they numbed my arm from the shoulder down. I couldn’t feel *anything*. As a woman who relies so much on her sense of touch in the world without having much sight, it was really unsettling for me not to be able to use my right hand to touch anything to feel it.

Thank you for the wonderful reminder to count our blessings and to appreciate our senses!

October 25, 2015 at 2:41 pm (4 years ago)

I can’t even imagine how scary it must have been to even temporarily lose your sense of touch, Sierra.

5. Marg
    October 25, 2015 at 6:57 am (4 years ago)

Couldn’t agree more with you, Ingrid … i have an ear infection and have lost hearing in one ear … so currently feeling like i need a swivel neck as i follow sound around … glad you are on the mend!

October 25, 2015 at 2:41 pm (4 years ago)

I hope you’ll feel better soon, Marg!