Studies Offer Hope for Treating Oral Cancer in Cats

oral-cancer-in-cats

Oral cancers account for about 10% of all feline cancers. Squamous cell carcinoma is one of the most common oral cancers. It is a very aggressive cancer with a very poor prognosis. Even though these cancers can be treated with surgery, chemotherapy and/or radiation, survival time is poor, with a median survival time of three months, and an only 10% one-year survival rate.

Anytime a disease has such a poor prognosis, it’s encouraging when there is news about research that is looking for better and more effective treatments. Two new studies are looking at two different drugs to treat this invasive and aggressive cancer.

Oregon State University

Researchers at Oregon State University evaluated the effects of the drug Dasatinib in the treatment of FOSCC. In a study funded by Morris Animal Foundation, the researchers tested the drug on cultured feline oral squamous cell carcinoma (FOSCC) cell lines and found that Dasatinib suppressed replication and spread of FOSCC cells and interrupted the cell signaling circuits that promote cancer growth.

Dasatinib is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor, a unique class of targeted anti-cancer agents, which has shown promise in treating oral squamous cell carcinoma in humans. While the data is encouraging, further study is needed to evaluate Dasatinib as a potential treatment for feline oral cancer. Next steps will include clinical trials to test the drug’s safety and efficacy in cats.

Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine

A study at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine is evaluating the drug Anginex to see whether it would provide a safe and effective means of treating FOSCC. Anginex is a peptide (small protein) that interferes with the ability of a tumor to make and maintain its blood supply, a process known as angiogenesis. Anginex has so far only been used experimentally in mice.

For more information about these studies,please visit VetCancerTrials.org.

6 Comments on Studies Offer Hope for Treating Oral Cancer in Cats

1. Sarah Tollefson
    October 22, 2018 at 2:30 pm (10 months ago)

My 7yo Kitty just got diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma. I’m beside myself.

October 23, 2018 at 5:31 am (10 months ago)

I’m so sorry, Sarah.

October 19, 2015 at 8:42 am (4 years ago)

I hope this new drug works and gets oked. Sounds promising. Thanks for the post.

3. Lilo Huhle-Poelzl
    October 19, 2015 at 2:34 am (4 years ago)

P.S. I neither sell Essiac tea, nor am I related to or associated with anyone who sells Essiac tea.

I am also not the author of any books on Essiac tea nor, nor am I related to or associated with any author of any books on Essiac tea.

I am just trying to help.

We came across Essiac tea when, in 2011, my husband was–thank God, falsely!–diagnosed with cancer.

4. Lilo Huhle-Poelzl
    October 19, 2015 at 2:26 am (4 years ago)

I would try Essiac tea with each and every cancer in humans and in animals. We had 3 miracle cures of cats with cancer when we used Essiac tea.

We had 4 cats suffering from cancer.

Two of these cats had metastasized cancer and were more dead than alive in 2013, when we treated them with Essiac tea as a last resort. They improved instantly and are still out and about. (They went downhill each time they were off the tea [when we were out of town] but recovered as soon as they were back on the tea.)

A 3rd cat had a huge tumor in her belly believed to be cancer. She stayed symptom-free with Essiac tea for 1 1/2 years but died peacefully of old age, last May. (She was 20+ years old.)

The 4th cat had abdominal lymphoma (a very aggressive cancer). She could not be helped with Essiac tea and died within 3 weeks.

We think that that 3 out of 4 is still a success that has yet to be matched by any mainstream treatment.

If–heaven forbid!–my husband or I were struck with cancer, we would have the necessary surgery and after this rely on Essiac tea.

(There are several books about Essiac tea on Amazon.)

October 19, 2015 at 6:06 am (4 years ago)

Thank you for sharing your experience with Essiac tea, Lilo – very interesting. I’ll have to look into this more, I’ve heard of it but don’t know much about it.