Mews and Nips: Cats Can Be Trained

Samantha-Martin-Acro-Cats

I had a chance to meet Samantha Martin and see the Amazing Acro-Cats perform last month, and it turned out to be an absolutely wonderful experience. This week, I came across an article on the Huffington Post that featured an indepth interview and podcast with Samantha. Samantha uses only positive reinforcement (no spray bottles for her), and mainly uses two techniques — whistle training and clicker training. If you’ve ever been curious about how to train your cats, I highly recommend reading the article on the Huffington Post and listening to the podcast.

If you missed any of the stories featured on The Conscious Cat last week, here’s a recap: on Sunday, we provided some suggestions on how to cope with email overload, on Monday, we explained heart murmurs in cats, on Tuesday, we introduced you to a new blood test that detects kidney disease early, on Wednesday, mystery writer Clea Simon’s Cat Musetta had a lot to say about human foibles, and on Thursday, we told you how to pick the right scratching post for your cat. And don’t forget to enter our giveaway for an autographed copy of Code Grey, Clea Simon’s newest cat-centric mystery!

Today’s video of cats hugging toys made my heart melt – enjoy!

Have a great weekend!

Photo via Huffington Post

7 Comments on Mews and Nips: Cats Can Be Trained

1. maria grazia swan
    August 5, 2015 at 1:25 pm (4 years ago)

Samantha martin is the greatest, been following her and her cats since I found an article in the local newspaper. can’t wait to meet her in person next time she brings her show to Phoenix.

August 5, 2015 at 2:15 pm (4 years ago)

She is awesome, isn’t she, Maria!

2. Glogirly
    August 2, 2015 at 12:12 am (4 years ago)

That video makes me smile from ear to ear. So sweet!

I keep hoping the Acro-Cats will make their way to Minneapolis. I’d LOVE to see them!

August 2, 2015 at 6:01 am (4 years ago)

I hope you get to see them some day, Debbie. You will love the show!

3. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    August 1, 2015 at 1:12 pm (4 years ago)

It must be Caturday – another video from Conscious Cat to put a smile on my face!

4. Janine
    August 1, 2015 at 7:28 am (4 years ago)

Right now, I would just love to train one of my cats to not give me a face wash at 5:00 every morning. I think it’s sweet, but I just want to sleep that extra hour before getting up at 6:00. This morning I tried to cover my face with the sheet and she got very upset. But I know I need to treasure these moments because one day she won’t be here and I will wishing for one last face wash.

August 1, 2015 at 4:48 pm (4 years ago)

I feel your “pain,” Janine! Allegra starts pacing up and down the side of the bed about half an hour before I really need to get up 🙂 I keep toys in my nightstand drawer to toss to distract her – but by the time I reach for the toy and toss it, I’m usually awake anyway…