Do You Suffer from Separation Anxiety When You Have to Leave Your Cat?

cat-looking-out-window

Separation anxiety disorder (SAD) is a well-documented psychological condition in which an individual experiences excessive anxiety regarding separation from home or from those to whom the individual has a strong emotional attachment. And while we usually think of separation anxiety in terms of pets being stressed about being separated from their guardians, I think it exists in reverse, too. For most of my adult life, I’ve felt anxious about traveling – and I actually like to travel. I’m not afraid of flying, and I enjoy a change of scenery, whether it’s visiting friends in familiar places, or whether it’s traveling to someplace I’ve never been before.

But traveling means leaving my cats behind – and that’s something I’m never completely comfortable with. And I’m pretty sure that many of you feel the same way.

I have the best cat sitter on the planet. Renée comes to visit Allegra and Ruby twice a day, and she doesn’t just feed them and scoop their litter boxes. She plays with them and gives them plenty of love and attention. She texts me after each visit to let me know how they are. So obviously, there’s absolutely no reason for me to worry about the girls, right? But I still do.

People who don’t understand what it’s like to love a cat may accuse me of having a co-dependent relationship with my cats. And maybe I do. I miss my girls when I’m not home, but more than that, I worry about them being without human company for such long stretches of time in between Renée’s visits, because they’re so used to having me around all day, every day.

I know that they probably sleep most of the day and night when I’m not home. They probably chase each other through the house for a few minutes, and they probably spend some time watching the goings on outside the windows. They probably don’t spend a lot, if any, time worrying about when I’m going to come home.

I’ve learned to cope better with being gone. Knowing that the girls are in such good hands with Renée is a huge help. I try to let go of my need to be in control of the universe, and trust that they will be fine. And I connect with them energetically several times a day, sending them love and letting them know that I’ll be home soon.

I won’t let my separation anxiety stop me from traveling, but I rarely go away for more than three or four days at a time. I can’t remember the last time I’ve taken a real vacation of a week or more, the way I used to before I had cats. And while it sounds tempting at times to do that, I know I’d just be too anxious about being away from my girls to really enjoy it.

So tell me: do you experience separation anxiety when you have to leave your cats? How do you handle it?

207 Comments on Do You Suffer from Separation Anxiety When You Have to Leave Your Cat?

1. David
    May 20, 2019 at 7:15 am (3 days ago)

This article helped a lot.
    I know I am being completely illogical but somehow this doesn’t help.
    Nerina is a Greek rescue cat who was abandoned by her mother at a very early age with a bad eye infection.
    We have a very close bond a despite having ideal care arrangements (a friend who loves the cats and lives in my studio apartment with access to my flat) I still miss her when I go away and I know she misses me.
    She has access to the garden and a brother cat. She will be fine in her own home but still I will miss her.

2. Louise Nash
    May 14, 2019 at 9:33 am (1 week ago)

I’m the same, I’ve just left to go to the airport for a 2 week holiday, my uncle is looking after our cats while we away and I’m sat in floods of tears right now.

• Cathi
      May 15, 2019 at 11:28 am (1 week ago)

I know that feeling… sitting in a flood of tears in the airport. I even had security ask me what was wrong. Let us know how it goes. Have your uncle text you if he can daily with photos. That always helps me.

3. Amanda Gildenhar
    April 18, 2019 at 3:42 am (1 month ago)

I just for the first time left my two cats Harley Quinn and Weasley for an entire week for a vacation with my husband. They were taken care of by my best friend who they know well and appreciate. I cried many times especially at night missing my cats and it honestly ruins my vacations to an extent and I just miss my cats so much and feel so badly for leaving them. We stick together like glue! I’m relieved I’m not the only one who feels this way, but I’m starting to wonder if I’ll be able to ever go to Europe or even hell Texas without missing my everythings the entire time…

• Cathi
      May 15, 2019 at 11:29 am (1 week ago)

Amanda, how were your cats when you got back?

4. Carolyn
    April 7, 2019 at 7:09 pm (2 months ago)

One of my cats was injured in a car accident and i nursed him tube feeding him every fours hours. He was always clingy but became more so especially as now he is blind. I did all the tricks that sas recomends and he will now settle if im away. Unfortunately my separation anxiety from him and his brother hasn’t! X

5. Bells
    March 22, 2019 at 5:50 pm (2 months ago)

Omg I am so glad that when I put into goggle that I’m anxious to leave my cats when I travel, that there were people who felt the same way! I’ve asked my friends whether they get anxious and miss their cats when they travel and they kind of look at me like I am a little crazy! Thank you for actually posting this it made me feel so much better. I am the proud mummy of 6 rescued kitties who are always used to me being around as I work from home! But I am actually due to go on holiday in a month (only for three days) and I get so emotional thinking will it distress them that it sometimes makes me think is traveling worth it. But like yourself I love travelling and luckily my mum is staying with my babies until I return. Thank you for posting this it has really helped.

6. Jessika
    February 7, 2019 at 3:22 pm (3 months ago)

Hi,

This article was so helpful. My husband and I adopted a cat about 6 months ago and she was unfortunately abused before we got her. Since she has had some unfortunate experiences, she is very reluctant with new people. Since adopting her she has come out of her shell and feels more confident. (I did so much research and tried my best to socialize her in ways that she enjoyed, and most importantly on her time.) She absolutely loves me and my husband and has a bit of separation anxiety if we are gone for too long during the day. We both work full time but I manage to come home during the lunch hour so she can have some interaction…

Okay enough background 🙂 We dearly love our Ivy and we are thinking about going on vacation soon and obviously this brings me a bit of anxiety because 1. I’m going to miss her and I want her to be happy 2. I don’t want her to be lonely or sad. Thankfully, my mom will watch over her a couple times a day to give her food/water and ensure that she can have some attention and play time. I hate feeling guilty to leave her but I just do. Do you have any other tips when you have gone on vacation to keep a cat that has a bit of separation anxiety happy?

Thank you again for this wonderful article!

February 8, 2019 at 6:43 am (3 months ago)

Would it be an option to have your mom stay at your house while you’re gone?

7. Cathi
    January 30, 2019 at 1:11 pm (4 months ago)

I’ve been following the story of Aslan and all your kitties. So glad they are OK. Let us know what we can do to help.