Transmittable Diseases in Cats

transmittable-diseases-in-cats

Cats are susceptible to a number of infectious diseases, ranging from upper respiratory disease to Feline Leukemia (FeLV0, Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV), panleukopenia, toxoplasmosis and rabies. Some of these are preventable, and most veterinarians, boarding and grooming facilities require cats to be current on vaccinations. However, no vaccine is 100% effective, and regardless of a cat’s vaccination status, scrupulously clean facilities and a staff trained to understand disease transmission protocols are a must to prevent disease transmission.

I recently wrote an article on transmittable feline diseases and how to prevent them in a boarding facility for Pet Boarding and Daycare Magazine. While the article was written for operators of cat boarding and grooming establishments, the information can help all cat guardians better understand these diseases and how they are transmitted.

Click here to read the full article.

7 Comments on Transmittable Diseases in Cats

1. Sandy
    June 1, 2015 at 10:15 am (5 years ago)

Hi Ingrid,
    I have been searching high and low for a good quality canned food for my brood. I have spent a lot of time looking for as much info as possible to make an educated and good food change for my guys at home. Currently they are on Weruva’s Paw lickin chicken, and Orijen dry which only a couple of my kitties get as a side dish. It’s just gotten so expensive to keep up with this Weruva (main food), and needing large cans, I thought I had finally settled on Holistic select for their grain and carrageenan free recipe. However, I now find out that Wellness is the company that produces this product and I have reservations about using Welleness products. I had actually been feeding Wellness no grain until my kitties started throwing up. I contacted Wellness company and found out that they had started using different facilities that processed their food. That explained why their food had all of a sudden become so “mushy” and my guys had started losing their appetite for the food. That’s when I decided to switch them over to Weruva which they do love and gobble up in seconds. 🙂 Unfortunately, it’s just too expensive for me to keep this as their main food.
    So I’m wondering if you had any suggestions for good quality food that is packaged in large cans, over 10oz cans. I have already gone through the list of foods you feed your girls (2012 article) but I would really appreciate your input on this. Smaller cans just end up being way more expensive in feeding my brood. So any ideas on good quality foods packaged in large cans?

Sandy

June 1, 2015 at 1:03 pm (5 years ago)

Unfortunately, I don’t think many of the premium foods come in the larger cans, Sandy. My advise to you would be to feed the best quality food you can afford, as long as it’s not dry food. Some of the less expensive foods on my list of recommended brands are the Hounds and Gatos and Merrick lines – perhaps they’ll be within your budget?

• Sandy
        June 1, 2015 at 1:24 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you for reply Ingrid. I looked into these brands, and it ends up being about same pricing. Also, merrick has carrageenan which i really want to avoid. I know merrick is out with a limited ingredient with no carrageenaqn, but pricing is waaaay more expensive! I guess I’ll need to keep looking.

Thank you for all your info on your site! It is invaluable!

– Sandy

2. Annette
    June 1, 2015 at 3:11 am (5 years ago)

In December an adult male showed up at my house; in January I had him neutered and he came to live inside. At that time he was diagnosed as FIV+, but was in such good shape. Friday he was diagnosed with FIP (wet). It’s been a stressful few days here. He’s not ready to die, so I’m going to see about having his belly drained this week (from the ultrasound the vet suspected he had at least a liter in there). I knew I wasn’t guaranteed a long life for him, but I didn’t think the end would come this soon. Best, most loving cat I’ve ever had.

June 1, 2015 at 5:51 am (5 years ago)

I’m so sorry about your cat’s diagnosis, Annette. All my best to both of you.

3. Joyce
    June 1, 2015 at 1:25 am (5 years ago)

Hi Ingrid, My son adopted 2 cats, at separate times with FIV. One has had it for years, and the other is just a year old. Both have been asymptomatic, until recently, the older one i having a few issues, nothing major. However the kitten just went for her check up and the Vets determined that she is no longer FIV positive. They did some extensive bloodwork, and upon looking at her previous med records, which took almost an act of congress to get from the original vet, they discovered that she had been a “weak positive” – a 3 on a scale of 1 – 10. Not sure what all that actually means, however, do you suppose now this means that she may be at risk if she continues to live in the household with the older cat? They’ve all bonded beautifully, and she has since been vaccinated. What are your thoughts? I’ve not heard of this rarity before now.