Happy Mother’s Day 2015

mothers-day-cats

Happy Mother’s Day to All the Moms of Human and Furry Children!

Mother’s Day is a bit of a bittersweet holiday for me. My mother passed away in 1994, but even after all these years, I still feel a pang when I see Mother’s Day cards appear in stores.

I owe many things to my mom, but the two most important ones are my love of cats, and my love of books. Even though we didn’t have cats when I was growing up, my mom was a cat lover. The photo below shows her with Feebee, my first cat. I have a lot of photos of my mom, and I’m not sure she’d be all that happy with me sharing this particular one, but of all the photos I have, this slightly blurry one, caught in a moment when she thought no one was paying attention, is one of my favorites.

Mom and Feebee

Today will be a day of memories of my mom for me, and a day of gratitude for all she gave me. I love you, Mom.

Whether you’re the mom of human or feline children, enjoy your special day!

We have a special Sunday giveaway for you next week. Conscious Cat Sunday will return in two weeks.

23 Comments on Happy Mother’s Day 2015

1. Margarite
    May 11, 2015 at 12:33 am (4 years ago)

Truly lovely heartfelt words of love, Ingrid. As so many here as well who have lost their mother’s, I understand as well. My dear mom is gone but never forgotten, for over 28 years. God, I miss her terribly, even more so as I now enter my golden years (56). She loved all animals, cats too and was a “proud Leo” lol. I feel her spirit was here for me again for my dear sweet Tuxedo cat, Sabrina, who just very recently had intestinal surgery after being quite ill for several weeks. She is now recovering, thank God, and her strength is increasing slowly but surely. Her weight, I heard, should follow suit (she is a small but healthy 8 lb 2 oz cat, but her weight plummeted to a deathly 5 lbs). Her prognosis is encouraging and I am SO thankful to my Veterinarians and their staff. Without their professionalism, kindness, patience, compassion, encouragement, thoroughness and optimum knowledge, I truly believe my dear sweet Sabrina would not be with us…and OH Yes, of course, my prayers answered speaking to my mom. . . Thank You, Mommy, “Makees” : )

May 11, 2015 at 6:18 am (4 years ago)

Thank you for sharing how your mom’s spirit supported you during Sabrina’s illness, Margarite. It must be so comforting. All my best to Sabrina for a quick and complete recovery!

2. Dawn
    May 10, 2015 at 7:59 pm (4 years ago)

Happy Mother’s Day, Ingrid. I, too, am missing my Mom. But she lives forever in my heart.

May 11, 2015 at 6:23 am (4 years ago)

I hope your day was filled with lovely memories of your Mom, Dawn.

3. Melissa & Truffles
    May 10, 2015 at 6:55 pm (4 years ago)

My love for cats and books came from my Mom as well. She’s my best friend and the thoughts of life without her one day takes my breath away. I cherish every day with her.

Happy Mother’s Day!

May 11, 2015 at 6:24 am (4 years ago)

I hope you had a wonderful day with your Mom, Melissa.

4. Vickster
    May 10, 2015 at 3:57 pm (4 years ago)

Today, as I held my Angel girl in my arms, I got all teary. I am so fortunate to have become a cat-mom, and I love my kitties dearly. No need for a card or flowers; Angel and Chuck, and Sweetie and Patty O’Malley fill my heart with joy and love, and for every worry I have over their health, there are ten times the purrs and soft meows and snuggles that make my heart swell. A Happy Mother’s Day to all!

May 11, 2015 at 6:24 am (4 years ago)

Being a cat mom is the best, isn’t it?

5. Caren Gittleman
    May 10, 2015 at 2:25 pm (4 years ago)

Happy Mother’s Day to your most PAWESOME Mama and we are so sorry about your Mom’s Mama (((hugs))))

Sending you much love, today and EVERY DAY! Caren and Cody

May 11, 2015 at 6:25 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Caren! I hope Cody spoiled you today. 🙂

May 10, 2015 at 1:46 pm (4 years ago)

Happy Mother’s Day Ingrid. My mom has been gone many years but; forever in my heart.

May 11, 2015 at 6:25 am (4 years ago)

I hope memories of your mom made today special for you, Sue.

7. Will Hodges
    May 10, 2015 at 1:44 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you Ingrid for this lovely post. Though my mother was never a cat “parent”, and though I only recently became a “cat daddy” since her passing, one of the last photos of my mom was of her being visited by a cute little Siamese kitty at her care center. I was so fortunate to have her with us until she was almost 98 years old, and she totally enjoyed the love and snuggles that she received during these kitty visits.

May 10, 2015 at 5:06 pm (4 years ago)

What a lovely memory of your mother, Will.

8. Nancy Dloughy
    May 10, 2015 at 11:08 am (4 years ago)

I lost my mom a week before Christmas in 2001. She had an aortal aneurysm and passed away overnight in her sleep. She was my best friend, and we talked on the phone several times a day and saw each other at least once a week and sometimes more. I still find myself wanting to call her even 14 years later. The pain of losing her has lessened some, but will never go away. I miss her terribly.

A Happy Mother’s Day to you, Ingrid. Cherish the memories. I do.

May 10, 2015 at 12:49 pm (4 years ago)

I’m sorry about your mom, Nancy. You’re right, the pain lessens, but we never stop missing our moms. I hope your day is filled with happy memories.

9. Robyn
    May 10, 2015 at 10:06 am (4 years ago)

Ingrid, a Mother is irreplaceable and the loss is felt for eternity. My Mother lost hers in ’94 as well. Bereavement is very personal and individual. Yes, after so many years you would think it would be a little easier but it never is. Take heart that you had a close and loving relationship with her. You are a wonderful tribute to your Mother carrying the love of felines and books and of course writing as well. Have beautiful memories of Mom today Ingrid.

May 10, 2015 at 12:49 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you for your beautiful words, Robyn.

10. S
    May 10, 2015 at 9:11 am (4 years ago)

Happy moms day Ingrid

Diana, Rikki , and Lucy

11. Janine
    May 10, 2015 at 7:29 am (4 years ago)

It’s good to have great memories. Have a good mother’s day.

12. marg
    May 10, 2015 at 7:20 am (4 years ago)

Happy Mother’s Day to you Ingrid. You have such good memories of your Mom and we love that picture of her looking at the cat. How Purrfect is that. Allegra, you and Ruby sure have a great Mom so be sure to give her some extra purrs today.

13. The Swiss Cats
    May 10, 2015 at 5:28 am (4 years ago)

Mum is sadly in the same case as Summer’s mom, but we celebrate that special day anyway because she’s a super crazy cat lady and a super mom for us ! Mothering is not necessarily born of blood… Happy Mother’s Day ! Purrs

14. Summer
    May 10, 2015 at 1:34 am (4 years ago)

This is not a day my human enjoys because she did not have a positive relationship with her mother. The two of us actually celebrate Administrative Assistant’s Day instead, since that most closely describes our relationship.