Music May Benefit Cats During Surgery

cat-vet-stethoscope

I’ve previously written about how music helps cats relax. A study at Colorado State University is looking at how classical music can help make a veterinary visit less stressful and thus lead to better veterinary care for cats. Music specifically engineered for cats can have a calming effect and even help with behavior problems. More recently, a study at the University of Lisbon in Portugal looked at another aspect of how music can help cats: they measured the respiratory rates and pupil dilation of cats who were undergoing spay surgeries.

Classical, Pop or Hard Rock?

Science Daily reports that the 12 female cats in the study were fitted with headphones, and were then exposed to 2 minutes of silence (as a control), followed randomly by 2 minutes each of Barber’s Adagio for Strings (Opus 11), Natalie Imbruglia’s Thorn and AC/DC’s Thunderstruck.

The results showed that the cats were in a more relaxed state while listening to the classical music. The pop music produced intermediate results, whereas AC/DC resulted in the highest readings of both parameters, which is an indicator of stress.

Dr. Carreira and his colleagues are also looking at how music may affect other physiological parameters such as cortisol release (cortisol is a stress hormone) and catecholoamines (a class of neurotransmitters such as dopamine), and expect to have results soon.

How will the study results help cats?

I find the implications of this study fascinating. There have been studies on the human side that relaxing music played in the operating room does not only benefit surgeons by increasing concentration and cognitive function, but that it also benefits patients, so it doesn’t seem like much of a leap to me that this would apply to both veterinary surgeons as well as feline patients.

“We do think that this gives rise to implications that the the use of non-pharmacological agents such as music can become very important in the medical and surgical scenario,” says Dr. Carreira. It may eventually allow veterinarians to decrease the anesthetic dose, which would reduce side effects and promote patient safety. “Improving the life quality and well being of our patients is the aim of any veterinary surgeon,” adds Carreira.

8 Comments on Music May Benefit Cats During Surgery

1. Louise
    April 20, 2015 at 3:41 pm (4 years ago)

How do I get headphones on my cat 🙂

April 20, 2015 at 4:40 pm (4 years ago)

LOL!

April 20, 2015 at 11:50 am (4 years ago)

This is so interesting. We don’t have any music at our vet but; I could bring my own.

3. Fur Everywhere
    April 20, 2015 at 8:54 am (4 years ago)

This is so interesting. The next time I have to take Carmine to the vet, I will try playing classical music on the way to see if that soothes him at all. He gets to be a very nervous and scared boy in the car. It would be wonderful if music could help him relax.

4. Janine
    April 20, 2015 at 8:31 am (4 years ago)

I never would have thought about this. It’s a great idea.

5. Maggie Gale
    April 20, 2015 at 5:17 am (4 years ago)

Wow, this is such an interesting topic! Last month my cat had a tooth removed & I can’t help but wonder if the vet surgeon played music in the OR during the procedure…

Actually, at the time of the tooth extraction, the surgeon spotted a tumor in my kitty’s mouth (directly behind that tooth) & she did a biopsy. It turned out to be cancer.

We now take her to a feline oncologist and she’s been having weekly radiation therapy treatments… Because she needs to remain very still for each treatment, she can’t be awake. I’m now wondering if they also play some type of music while she’s under. I’m going to enquire… for the sake of my curiosity!

Great topic! I really enjoyed this read – as like many others (recent cancer topics specifically) have applied specifically to us & our sweet cancer kitty: “Michelle” – who sends kitty love to both Ruby & Allegra this morning!

April 20, 2015 at 6:02 am (4 years ago)

All my best to Michelle, Maggie. Allegra and Ruby send healing purrs!

• Maggie Gale
        April 21, 2015 at 7:24 am (4 years ago)

Aww, that is so incredibly precious & kind! Thank you so much, Ingrid! Michelle appreciates the loving/healing support from Allegra & Ruby!