The Scoop About Cat Poop

cat-litter-box

Sometimes a headline just writes itself… but seriously, your cat’s feces can tell you a lot about her health. And while it may not be the world’s most pleasant topic to discuss, it is a part of sharing your life with cats. It’s important to know what normal stools look and smell like, and what any deviations from normal might mean.

Healthy bowel habits

Even though bowel habits may vary slightly, a healthy cat will generally defecate once a day. Normal stool will be well formed and easy to scoop. The size will depend on the cat’s diet. Cats who eat a grain-free diet will have a lower volume of stools and stools will generally be less smelly than cats who are fed a diet with lots of fillers. The reason for this difference is that nutrients in better quality diets are better absorbed by the body. Healthy stools are usually dark brown in color, although there will also be some variation depending on the type of diet fed.

It is interesting to note that cats who are fed a raw diet will have very small and hard stools that have virtually no odor – a testament to how well the nutrient content of these diets is absorbed. Raw fed cats may only eliminate stool every other day. Very dry, hard stools in cats who are not eating raw food may be an indicator of constipation.

Diarrhea

Diarrhea occurs when indigestible portions of food pass through the intestines too fast, or when excess fluid is added to the stool by the large intestines. It can be the result of a dietary indiscretion, a change in diet, parasites, viruses, exposure to toxins, ingestion of a foreign body, or systemic illness such as kidney or liver disease, inflammatory bowel disease and intestinal cancers.

It is sadly very common in cats, and comes in various degrees. Stool may be formed, but soft, or it may be shaped like a cow patty. Diarrhea may also be completely liquid and mixed with mucous. If a cat has one or two soft stools, but is otherwise alert and eating and drinking normally, diarrhea of 24-48 hours is most likely not going to be a problem. However, if your cat is lethargic, refuses to eat, and has multiple episodes of diarrhea a day, or if vomiting occurs at the same time, dehydration is a concern, and your cat will need veterinary attention.

Constipation

Constipation occurs when feces are retained in the colon. Feces become hard and firm, and the longer they stay in the colon, the more water is resorbed out of the colon. Constipated cats may strain while using the litter box, and any stools they produce may be very small, hard and dry. (As mentioned above, small dry stools that are produced without straining are normal for raw fed cats.) Constipation can be life-threatening if not treated.

Defecating outside the litter box

Diarrhea and constipation may both cause cats to defecate outside the litter box, but some healthy cats regularly pass stool outside the box. The first step is to take your cat to the veterinarian to rule out medical issues. If the problem is behavioral, some detective work will be necessary so you can take the necessary steps to correct and prevent the behavior.

Grossly abnormal stools

If your cat’s stool is black, pale white, grey, or green, your cat may require immediate veterinary care. Black stool usually indicates internal bleeding. Pale, white, grey or green stools may be indicators of liver disease or intestinal bacterial infections.

161 Comments on The Scoop About Cat Poop

1. LYNN
    October 31, 2018 at 7:02 pm (2 years ago)

HI, My cat Sophie is a 3-year old domestic short hair (indoor) Her bowel movements have always been regular: 3 times per day (approx), without any apparent constipation. Three weeks ago, however, her bowel habits changed. She still has approx 2 normal bowel movements per day. However in-between, she will visit the litter box numerous times throughout the day, and produce tiny pieces of stool. I’ve had her to her Vet twice. He can find no apparent physical issue for her change in bowel habits. She does not exhibit extreme constipation symptoms, is not running a fever, is active, etc. He also determined that she does not have a bladder infection. Her Vet is now treating her for irregularity – even though she has 2 normal bowel movements per day, she also frequents the litter box many other times throughout the day.Whenever she has issues of running to her litter box frequently, however, I notice that her appetite decreases. Her Vet has prescribed 1/8 tsp of Miralax power, in with her wet food, 2 x per day. I cannot really see any real Improvement over the past 3 weeks. Do you have any other suggestions? THANK YOU!

November 1, 2018 at 5:22 am (2 years ago)

Beyond pursuing additional diagnostics, I’m not really sure what to add, Lynn – you’re already doing all the things I would have suggested. Did you change her diet when this behavior started? If not, then maybe consider changing to a different diet?

2. Michelle
    October 13, 2018 at 1:15 am (2 years ago)

Hi Ingrid and everyone! I just thought I’d leave a comment in case you have some insight for me. We have two cats, one year old brothers from the same litter. One of them had to have surgery this summer for a bowel obstruction after eating a toy but has thankfully made a full recovery. We feed them nearly all wet food (mainly Hound and Gatos chicken and chicken liver formula) and a tiny bit of kibble overnight. We’ve noticed that their bowel movements seem to vary quite a bit. They typically go once or twice a day but sometimes they produce what I would consider a normal volume of stool (normal shape/size as well) and other times they produce only small amounts which are sometimes dry and seemingly constipated. I’ve taken the one to the vet to get checked out for fear that he had another obstruction but she didn’t feel that was likely after examining him. He did regurgitate his dinner once a few weeks ago which is what got me worried but that’s the only time he’s thrown up since his surgery nearly four months ago.

Anyhow, apologies for the long run-on post. I just wondered if it is common for cats on a good diet to fluctuate like this. We give them probiotics fairly often and have also tried giving them laxatone but they still oscillate between regular and small poops. Hoping that perhaps just like humans this might be normal?

Thank you!

October 13, 2018 at 5:33 am (2 years ago)

It’s possible that they don’t consistently absorb the nutrients in their their food, or, less likely, that the formulas of the food aren’t always consistent. I would give probiotics every day to see if that helps, and I would consider adding digestive enzymes. The probiotic I recommend is a blend of both: http://amzn.to/YRaNcE I do not recommend laxatone.

• Michelle
        October 13, 2018 at 10:58 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Ingrid! And that certainly could be the case. We gave them Adored Beast Healthy Gut digestive enzymes for a bit but with limited results. With that said, our vet didn’t think the ingredients seemed great so perhaps the brand you recommended will have better results. I will look today to see if I can get it in Canada!

Also, do you think the smaller poops could have anything to do with the fact that we feed them in four small meals throughout the day (plus the tiny bit of kibble at night)?

Thanks so much for your recommendations!

October 14, 2018 at 5:43 am (2 years ago)

I don’t think the smaller stools have anything to do with the frequency of meals, unless they stools are also more frequent. Generally, the smaller the stool, the more nutrients are absorbed. That’s why you tend to see voluminous stools in cats on poor quality diets, especially cats on dry diets.

• Michelle
        October 13, 2018 at 10:59 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Ingrid – One more question. Have you ever heard of using this herbal product for cat digestive health? I know it says “hairball” in the name, but I’ve heard that most of these herbs are good for feline digestion/regularity.

Hairball Gold by Pet Wellbeing. https://www.petwellbeing.com/products/hairb-ez

October 14, 2018 at 5:35 am (2 years ago)

I’m not familiar with this product. I’m also not a fan of using herbal products unless guided by a veterinarian trained in herbal medicine.

October 14, 2018 at 5:41 am (2 years ago)

I’m not familiar with the brands, so I can’t comment on whether this is going to be a good product. Innulin is considered prebiotic. To my knowledge, there are no studies that would help determine how much innulin cats should get, so I’m not sure whether I would use this.

• Michelld
          October 14, 2018 at 12:15 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you thank you thank you! I really appreciate your replies! Also, thank you for the information on nutrient absoption. I will worry less about stool size now. Perhaps it’s most important I just ensure there is no straining /true constipation. I’ve never had kittens that eat almost all wet food and so this is all such great information! Thank you!

3. Chikka
    July 14, 2018 at 9:50 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Ingrid & everyone else. My 10 month old male kitty is currently on his 3rd week of homemade raw food (using feline nutrition recipe). Previously he was on grain free dry & wet food and his stools are always a tad bit soft. He passed stools once to twice a day. My vet suggested to put him on RC sensitive but I wanted to try raw first to see how it goes. During the first two weeks, the result was great, his stools are dry, the volume significantly decreases, and virtually has no odor. However, earlier this week his stool started to become soft again, however the volume and odor doesn’t change compared to the first two weeks. This morning, I found a small drop of blood outside his stools. I haven’t contacted my vet yet since she’s not pro-raw and probably will prescribe RC or Hill’s to my cat. The raw food he eats this week is from the same batch like what he ate during the first two weeks. He just got dewormed around 3 weeks ago. He’s been eating, sleeping, and playing as per usual, very energetic. Should I be concerned with the drop of blood on his stool? I’m scared it’s salmonella or any other pathogens 🙁 Thanks before Ingrid, really appreciate your insight on this.

July 15, 2018 at 5:44 am (2 years ago)

I would get him checked out just to be safe, Chikka. While the risk of salmonella is probably low, it is increased in homemade raw food, since raw meat used for human consumption does not have the same “zero tolerance” policy as commercially prepared raw food (the reason for this is that the assumption is that meat sold for human consumption will be cooked.)

4. rija
    July 6, 2018 at 12:14 am (2 years ago)

my cat is breathing very fast has fever,it come and goes and lethargic.He is also having poop problems.I give him lilac 2ml twice a day.he poops every morning after running here and there like he is in pain.today he pooped green DARK GREEN.2 WEEKS ago we had his x ray and cbc taken.his wbc count was higher and the Doc diagnosed him with pleurisy but my aunt human radiologist expert said that his lungs are clear and i also took Sam to another vet.this vet also said that the lungs look fine after looking at the x ray and feeling Sams lungs.I dont know what to do?!

July 9, 2018 at 5:32 am (2 years ago)

It sounds like you need to pursue additional diagnostics for Sam. I would ask for a referral to an internal medicine specialist.

5. Katherine
    February 6, 2018 at 8:48 am (3 years ago)

Hello I have a almost five year old cat. Very happy and healthy. Well this morning I found that there was vomit on the floor from this morning I believe. And then I found a soft stool that was also from this morning I believe. Should I be concerned ? Otherwise She’s acting very normal right eating and very energetic. I think I’m also a bit wound up also because we just lost our pet budgie last week so like I’m feeling very emotional about my pet. Las I want to mention we have a4 month old and she’s play leave in a lot more vocal and energetic and our cat is terrified of her so I wonder if that could be increasing her anxiety. Just would love any feedback or support cuz I’m just worried. Thank you

• Katherine
      February 6, 2018 at 8:51 am (3 years ago)

Sorry meant playing * not play leave. Also wanted to mention she’s an indoor cat

• Katherine
      February 6, 2018 at 9:16 am (3 years ago)

Just to let you know I think the soft stool was actually a hairball because it did not smell and I looked closer and it looked like was hair in it

6. Paula Washburn
    December 10, 2017 at 3:59 am (3 years ago)

I had to put my cat to sleep this past Thursday (12/9). She was going downhill very fast within a 24 hour period. Her blood work came back good. Nothing on x-rays. But, she was pooping slimy green jelly-like substance Tuesday night. But because there was so much litter covering the substance I just thought it was watery diarrhea, no feces. she threw up her food Wednesday morning. Took her to the vet that morning. Everything seemed fine. Was told to bring her back the next day if she still seemed sick. So I took her back Thursday when they opened and dropped her off. She was having neurological signs of being spacey. She was lethargic. She also was a diabetic and 13 years old. I just can’t find any answers to what happened to her. :'(

December 10, 2017 at 5:48 am (3 years ago)

I’m so sorry, Paula.

7. Barbara
    September 8, 2017 at 5:54 pm (3 years ago)

I have a 3 1/2 yr old manx mixed breed cat.( no tail) He is fed fancy feast classic pate canned food. He gets 2 scoops daily of a probiotic. He uses the litter box fine and has a normal stool in the box but when he is done after covering his poop he will fling a couple of small soft stools outside the box on the floor after he leaves the box. Any suggestions?

• dave
      November 4, 2017 at 7:59 am (3 years ago)

Could be breed-related. I adopted 1 yr old female Manx cat, and she always preferred to poop outdoors: dig a hole, often miss the hole when pooping, then aggressively cover up the hole (sometimes with nearby poop). Litter box had high sides so if she did that inside, it would have stayed in. In other words, maybe inaccurate enthusiasm when covering up. Cats often run around after pooping.

8. Anne
    March 29, 2017 at 1:43 pm (4 years ago)

I have a 2 year old indoor cat that is healthy and playful. She defecates twice a day. In the morning, she will go on the box, dig a deep hole, then jump out and finish just outside the box. In the afternoon/evening, she will finish inside the box. The morning mishaps can go on for a few weeks at a time, then cease for a few days to a few weeks, and then start again. The stools are well formed. The only thing I notice with the morning stools are that they generally always start with a small lump, maybe half an inch long, that is dry and hard. I cannot say for certain that this is not the case with the evening stools as well, but I have not noticed these small lumps when cleaning her box. Her food does not change (apart from a higher bug intake in the summer which I cannot really do anything about 🙂 ). Any thoughts or ideas?

• Rachel
      July 13, 2017 at 8:45 am (3 years ago)

My cat just started having a similar problem about a month ago. The vet said she seems to be suffering from constipation, and we are trying laxatives but haven’t had much success. Did this situation ever resolve for you? Or are you still dealing with the same thing?

• Samantha loftus
        March 24, 2018 at 5:10 am (3 years ago)

My cat is chronically constapated. Since he was little he has had a condition known as a mega colon, he is medicated with cisapride and lactose and normally deficates normally. However he does have irregular backing up sometimes. A few pointers if you can’t is having issues “doing their bussiness”
        -Try wet food, water it down if possible to increase moisture to make stool easier to pass
        – sometimes I also utilize cat sip and water that down and add some miralax( powder stool softener , recommend by my vet. It is totally safe for cats .
        – pumpkin purée adds bulk and moisture ( you can also add an organic low sodium brother to make it more enticing.

Hopefully that was helpful and you little kitties feel better soon!

• Rachel
      July 13, 2017 at 9:29 am (3 years ago)

My cat has been having the same issue for about a month now. The vet says she seems to be suffering from constipation and we are trying laxatives (1/4 tsp of Miralax, 2x daily) with limited success. Are you still dealing with the same issue, or did you find a solution?

• Glenda W
        July 13, 2017 at 12:19 pm (3 years ago)

Rachel, my vet suggested that I smear olive oil on top of his paws every other day. He licks it off, doesn’t seem to mind it, and I’ve had no other problems. Apparently he was constipated.

• carolyn
          February 2, 2018 at 12:51 pm (3 years ago)

Be careful with the constipation problem can cause them to prolapse if they push and strain to defecate ask vet for stool soaftner that is given before each meal

9. Maggie
    March 11, 2017 at 3:57 am (4 years ago)

I had to change my cats from Instinct grain free wet to Fancy Feast pate due to a drastic budget cut (becoming single mom). They were getting dry at night because they were so picky about eating the Instinct and would often waste it, and one is 12, so I don’t like to let her go too long without food. At first they gobbled down the Fancy Feast like crazy, they couldn’t get enough. After about 5 days, they are turning their nose up at it, and their stools are very dark, almost black. They get plenty of fresh water. They haven’t had any dry food since they were eating the FF so well. I am not sure what to do.

March 12, 2017 at 7:16 am (4 years ago)

Does the Fancy Feast formula you feed contain any dyes? I haven’t looked at the brand in a while, but I do seem to recall some of their formulas have better ingredients than others. If that’s not the case, take a stool sample to your vet. Black stools can be an indicator of a health problem.

10. MalindaAntonette
    March 5, 2017 at 6:43 pm (4 years ago)

My 10 year old tabby cat has been having poop problems. Couple weeks ago, she pooped 3x on my bed. The color was pale, thin but not watery and smelt like…OMG!!! Thus I quit giving her this pale dry food that she loved, quit giving her water from canned human tuna. Back on slowly to the dry Friskies in purple package. Things went well. She doesn’t like human food, but gave her liquid off canned Alaskan Pink Salmon. She loved it, and went crazy over it for 2 days. Now she won’t eat it, she won’t eat Friskies canned chicken with gravy, which is pale in color. While ago I seen where she tried to cover up her poop with my bathroom throw rug. There’s that pale SMELLY thin poop all covered up. I just now tossed away that throw rug. She’s shut in her room cause I don’t want any more of that poop for the rest of the day. I don’t know what to do. Thinking just keep the girl on dry Friskies and forget about any other food. Otherwise, she seems healthy and still loves to play at 10 and she doesn’t sleep all that much when I am awake. Still, this poop and SMELL has got me worried. Any comments will be appreciated. THANKS, MalindaAntonette.

March 6, 2017 at 6:22 am (4 years ago)

If you haven’t already done so, please take your cat to the vet for a thorough exam. Frequently eliminating outside the litter box can be an indicator of a serious health problem. And I can guarantee you that dry food is not the answer. A premium grain-free canned or raw diet is a much better choice. You can find my recommendations on what to feed here: http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/

11. Veronique Lavine
    February 22, 2017 at 11:30 am (4 years ago)

Good day. I recently rescued two adorable kittens. They are 4-5 weeks old. I have been feeding them a mix of wet and softened dry food and they are very active and playful. The female eats quite a lot but does not take much water and I am concerned that her tummy is a bit large for her size. Today she was having a difficult time trying to poop. When I gave her a little tummy rub it helped, however the stool seemed to be more mucus than poop. I know I should take her to the vet but that may not be possible until next week. Is there anything I can do in the mean time. Thanks in advance for any advice I get. 🙂

February 23, 2017 at 5:56 am (4 years ago)

If this continues, I wouldn’t wait until next week to take your kitten to the vet, Veronique. You may also want to eliminate all dry food.

• June Walsh
        February 23, 2017 at 6:33 am (4 years ago)

I had this with my two when I brought them home and I made the mistake of messing around with their food and made it 10 times worse. The were first treated for worms, then giardia, then finally with metronidazole for clostridium and put on a prescription wet food diet which sorted them. Vets very important if it’s mucous and/or blood.

• JC
      September 26, 2017 at 9:46 pm (3 years ago)

Your kittens have worms. Please go and get them dewormed. Feed them kitten food.

12. Loretta
    February 22, 2017 at 1:08 am (4 years ago)

We took in a cat that was abandoned. We have taken him to the vet several times. All tests have come back normal. His poop always stunk horribly but has been getting better (the vets believe he was outside for months). Tonight was different, I happened to be in the basement with him and took notice because he seemed to be taking awhile, not really straining. There was a small pool of bright red on top of his bowel movement. His stool has never been completely solid, it is definitely formed, just not solid. We feed him a top quality dry cat food and he does get raw meat once a day. As a treat he gets a small amount of high quality can cat once a day.

February 22, 2017 at 6:06 am (4 years ago)

You need to contact your vet, Loretta. Blood in the stool is always a cause for concern.

• June Walsh
      February 23, 2017 at 6:33 am (4 years ago)

• Katie
      March 5, 2017 at 5:10 pm (4 years ago)

While bloody stool should always be checked out, bright red is usually less concerning as it usually an injury to the anus or lower intestine.

13. G Williams
    February 13, 2017 at 12:14 am (4 years ago)

I’m not sure if this is still a continuing topic . My 5 year old male indoor cat has a daily regular stool in his litter box. Then 15 to 20 minutes later he goes to another room and leaves a small amount of loose stool with blood on the carpet. He eats only dry food, and drinks adequately. He’s very active and seems to feel fine with no other changes in behavior…….. any ideas?

February 13, 2017 at 6:14 am (4 years ago)

You need to take your cat to the vet. Blood in the stool could be an indicator of a serious health problem.

• Carol
        February 20, 2017 at 11:35 pm (4 years ago)

He needs his anal sacs expressed by a vet or vet technician. His anal sacs are likely clogged and the thick fluid in the sacs gets brownish red which is why he leaves a stain on the carpet. My cat has this problem occasionally as she eats mostly dry food.

• Glenda
        February 21, 2017 at 3:19 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks so much!

14. Mark
    January 23, 2017 at 5:44 am (4 years ago)

Hi our 9 year old British short haired cat has recently been sick – the vet thinks it was a mild form of cat flue despite him being immunised. He was given two shorts of antibiotic and has had diarrhoea on and off for a week or so now. The vet can’t find anything wrong but what is worrying is that he has started to pass small pellet sized pieces of stool in the house – mainly while he is still with us on the sofa or on the floor. These are moist and brown and unlike the stools he seems to be passing outside. We have tried a fish and chicken diet and probiotic but nothing seems to help. The vet says everything is normal but clearly something has changed. Any ideas folks ?

January 23, 2017 at 6:17 am (4 years ago)

If he’s passing hard, pellet sized stools, that could be an indication of constipation, but based on your description, it also sounds like he’s passing loose stools outside? I’d pursue further diagnostics.

• Mark
        January 25, 2017 at 7:31 am (4 years ago)

Thanks very much !

15. Michelle
    December 11, 2016 at 8:08 pm (4 years ago)

I am at the end of my rope and going insane. I have a 10 year old purebred persian that Im looking after. it belongs to my mom.
    It started about 6 months ago where she would drag her butt across the floor and leave fecal streaks everywhere and it got worse and worse. She actually defecates outside her box regualrly and runs her behind all over the house. Ive been to the vet several times and has been given different medications- antibiotics mostly, she has been given de worming medication, had he anal sacs expressed, several courses of antibiotics, ointment for her butt and all failed but he says that we need to do a stool exam which is about 300$ here and then if that does not show anything then ultrasounds and then x rays and so on and so forth. Im looking at atleast a couple of grand and no guarantee that she will be cured. Im literally cleaning poop everyday off the floors and furniture and have actually talked to my mom about finding someone who can better care for her. She eats a combination of natural raw food and some canned food and some science hills dry food. her food has been the same for years and nothing new has been introduced. I scoop her litter box daily but still everyday Im cleaning poop streaks off the floors, carper, furniture. It really is tiresome.
    Please any help would be appreciated. If someone has dealt with something similar in the past.

December 12, 2016 at 6:10 am (4 years ago)

It sounds like your cat does need additional diagnostics to figure out what is causing this. I would also recommend eliminating all dry food, and you may also want to consider adding a good probiotic to her diet.

• jan
        May 17, 2018 at 11:49 am (3 years ago)

get her checked for c-dif

• dee
      December 16, 2016 at 7:49 pm (4 years ago)

She needs her anal sacs expressed and that should stop it if it happens again they can take them out they only need them if they are breeding.

December 17, 2016 at 6:36 am (4 years ago)

Anal gland removal should only be used as a last resort, as it can result in fecal incontinence.

• Mary
      January 11, 2017 at 8:54 pm (4 years ago)

When I fed my cat canned food with gray /juice she did the same thing. Had to go to the Vet and have the anal glands expressed be put on antibiotics . I now feed her Fancy Feast “classic” and she no longer has the problem of dragging her bum on the carpet. Use only the can that says classic on it.

• Mary
        January 11, 2017 at 8:56 pm (4 years ago)

I meant gravy /juice not gray.

16. Crystal Torres
    October 19, 2016 at 10:29 pm (4 years ago)

Hello, I found a kitten (about 5 weeks old) outside my home last week and took it in. (I dont know much about cats as I have always been more of a dog person) I fell in love with this little guy!!! The day i found him I took him over to Petsmart in hopes that someone could shed some light on his age, luckily the Cat Rescue ladies were still there! They lady said he was between 3 and 5 weeks, she told me to put him on kitten formula, and so i did. Since I had him he didnt pass a bowl movement, being a nurse I immediately thought maybe he’s constipated or something else, so I waited til the next day to take him to Animal Samaritans to find out what the problem could be (i was hoping maybe he just had stage fright). Those lovely ladies said he was 5 weeks old and needed to fed formula in combination with canned food, they were kind enough to give me a few cans of their food. I gave him the food and he chowed down!
    Anyway, two days later I noticed he pooped, but it was runny, not quite diarrhea yet. That same night i saw that diarrhea was definetly the case. I planned on taking him to the vet the next day and had made an appointment. THe next morning I noticed blood in it. He was eating fine and playing a lot so i wasnt extremely worried but absolutely concerned. The vet gave me a container to collect a sample there, and also gave me a few cans of HILLS PRESCRIPTION DIET; DIGESTIVE CARE and said to feed him small amounts 4 or 5 times a day. He also gave me 2 medications; METRONIDAZOLE & ALBON which i give one a day for 5 to 7 days.
    my question is, would this medication cause his stool to look darkish brown almost black? He still plays a lot and eats a LOT! I feel like a new mother and want to rush him back to the vets, however im a single mom of two human kids and the cost of these vet visits are adding up!
    Any help would help at this point. His stool is a little more FORMED but somewhat soft still but not runny.

October 20, 2016 at 5:32 am (4 years ago)

Check with your vet about whether either of the medication could turn the stool black, Crystal. It is possible, but black stool can also mean that there’s still blood in the stool.

I would also encourage you to look into feeding a better quality diet. I don’t recommend Hill’s diets because they contain a lot of fillers and grains. You can find lots of information on what to feed your cat and why here: http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/

You may also want to consider adding a good probiotic to your kitten’s food.

• June Walsh
      October 20, 2016 at 5:50 am (4 years ago)

I had this with my two kittens who were from a breeder and metronidazole sorted hem along with all other wormers. Very young for this, but any change of diet will cause soft poops. Take a stool sample with to your vet who will check for blood. I don’t like Hill’s myself it didn’t help wy two but they have royal canin sensitive chicken and rice in pouches. I wouldn’t give a cat dry food but that’s my own choice. Avoid chopping and changing food, I did this with mine when I got them and really made things worse. Kitten formula and kitten wet food little and often should be good, and water down as well. Though with wet food it is in the diet. Stool tests very important though. Goodluck

17. Cheyenne
    October 9, 2016 at 11:57 pm (4 years ago)

Hi. I recently got a kitten that’s about 4-5 weeks old in a very poor condition. He had lots of fleas and a bloated stomach. The fleas are nearly gone now but his bloated stomach is still there. His eating habits are normal but he like gorges himself full of water. Sometimes so much he vomits. I’ve had to limit his water intake because of it. Also his stool is a concern. Over the course of 4 days his poop has changed from bright orange to a lime green color and it smells putrid. I’ve checked for worms and haven’t saw anything. He is on a soft/hard food diet. I was just wondering if anyone had some insight on why his poop is those colors and why he is drinking so much water? Any thoughts and advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance -Cheyenne

October 10, 2016 at 5:38 am (4 years ago)

You need to take your kitten to a vet as soon as possible, Cheyenne.

18. jacky
    October 7, 2016 at 10:30 am (4 years ago)

I hope people reply to this post. My cat is normally an outside cat that hunts for her own food, so I naturally thought that’s what she was doing. I finally seen her and she loss a recent amount of weight. I brought her into my house and immediately gave her pedialyte to keep her alive. She eats bits if food here and there, so she finally poop, but it was like a dark greenish color. She’s moving a little more, but is still weak. At the moment I don’t have the funds to take her to the vet. I really need home remedies to help her want to eat food. Can anyone help?

• Name*
        October 10, 2016 at 9:44 am (4 years ago)

Thank you Ingrid!! My cat has been doing better ever since she’s been on pedialyte. Now she’s eating normal, wanting to eat a lot but I’m limiting her food until she slowly regain herself. Her poop went from a greenish color to a brownish color, which is a good thing. She’s moving a lot around not like she was when she was very sick. Thank you for your concern!!

19. Jyo
    October 5, 2016 at 6:33 am (4 years ago)

I have a Seven day old kitten. He tries to suck on my finger when he’s hungry and he’s pooping like a orange brown poop. He can also poop by himself. I was just wondering if all of that was normal for a baby kitten.

20. lily
    August 22, 2016 at 2:58 pm (4 years ago)

Hi, I have 3 stray kittens I found in my back yard, I recently changed their diets and one of the kittens stools have turned white… could this be due to the change in her diet or something more serious?

August 23, 2016 at 5:32 am (4 years ago)

I would get it checked out by your vet, Lily. It could be the diet change, but since it’s only happening to one kitten, I’d worry that there’s something else going on.

21. Samantha Hartings
    August 3, 2016 at 12:43 pm (4 years ago)

If people still respond to this thread, I’d appreciate the help. My brother brought me a stray kitten in near-death condition about 6 days ago. She couldn’t see or meow or even move. Using what little skills I have (poor vets in my area and I don’t have the cash for her to go to a good vet hours away 🙁 no one in my area likes cats either so she’s better off with me) I managed to get her in top condition. To keep this short, I’ll say one of the MANY issues she had was constipation. I fed her a small tube of pumpkin (the kitty is so small she fits in my hand) and her poop is now orange, soft, and pipe-like. Other than her orange poop and respiratory infection, she’s very energetic and playful, seemingly happy as can be. She still sleeps a lot (usually in my lap lol) but I was wondering if the orange stool is from the pumpkin I have been feeding her? It doesn’t smell horribly bad, and she even kept a temperature of 98.5. Could it be from worms? I’d like help if possible. Thanks!

• Sarah
      August 5, 2016 at 8:47 pm (4 years ago)

It’s from the pumpkin. My cat has been getting some mixed with er food, and her poo is a bit more orange as well.
      If you need more help about worms and such, join a cat forum, I use the cat site forum. Has been a huge help for me.
      Best of luck to you.

• Caroline Findlay
        August 14, 2016 at 3:12 am (4 years ago)

You can buy probiotic paste at good pet stores. It will make a huge difference to your kitty!

22. Katie
    July 8, 2016 at 7:18 am (4 years ago)

Heya, I’ve learnt a lot more since i first asked for help, but the problems the same?

I don’t trust my vet and i don’t think I’m getting a full story from the rescue centre either.

My cats 1 yr 3 months old, and his stools are very smelly! My parents don’t want to visit anymore 🙁

He has very soft stools, and I’ve pretty much tried everything i feel. They seem normal colour, but sometimes he’s lethargic, and looses appetite.

At the rescue centre he was on whiskers and go cat, being given pro-kolin… (I’m from uk btw) to help his stools; apparently all the cats had smelly watery stools?! And if ever in pain are given loxicom (containing meloxicam!!)

I’m feeding him on high end wet food (thrive and heading towards raw meat diet), found out that kibble is bad for cats, but i give him high end kibble (mostly meat ingredients, no grains but bits of veggy in) as a nighttime snack (cats can’t properly digest the carbohydrates/fibre)

But his stools still smell damn awful!

• Les
      July 8, 2016 at 8:48 am (4 years ago)

Maybe he has IBD or an intolerance to a certain protein?

• Katie
        July 8, 2016 at 9:42 am (4 years ago)

I’ll add that to a list of things I’m going to ask the vets x
        I have enough knowledge now to hopefully understand what theyre doing, so I’m not being taken for “a ride” x

I’ve just read symptoms for FIP, and they match a bit too well for my liking!

• Caroline Findlay
      August 14, 2016 at 3:14 am (4 years ago)

My kitten was smelling us out of our house till we started giving probiotic paste! What a difference!! No smells now!!! You can buy on line or any good pet store

August 14, 2016 at 5:48 am (4 years ago)

These are the two probiotics I recommend – both are flavorless powders that can easily be mixed with food. Dr. Goodpet Feline Digestive Enzymes http://amzn.to/YRaNcE and Mercola Pet Probiotic http://amzn.to/1PxIlch

23. Halsparrow
    May 29, 2016 at 1:06 pm (4 years ago)

I have a kitten who fell off the roof in February this year. He broke his back and was paralysed in the lower half of the body. the back healed but he still can’t walk. 20 days after this incident his aunt was attacked by stray dogs. She was so badly mauled that she can’t walk. She lost her babies in the trauma. I have a lot of other healthy cats. We keep the windows open for them. But these 2 crawl out into the garden all the time. I’ve noticed every time they crawl out there they get diarrhoea. And I have to have them treated over and over. Not to mention cleaning up long trails of diarrhoea they both leave behind. I tried confining them but they won’t stay put. The stool starts off as soft semisolids mass that turns darker over the days and more liquid. When diarrhoea sets in it is completely liquid and dark greenish brown. It is very hard to care for 2 paralysed pets. The diarrhoea is complicating things. Please tell me what the causal organism could be. I can try treating them at home. The vets here don’t care. They only care for money. I live in India. Small towner. Limited access to amenities. Please help. Thank you

• Cat Kennie
      September 13, 2016 at 2:48 am (4 years ago)

You should keep your cats indoors only or you may always have health problems. Your cats with diarrhea are eating something bad so they must NOT be allowed to access where they are eating this. As an adult you should be able to keep them indoors. I am sorry that you are having this problem. Cats often eat grass outside to help their digestion so you may have to grow it indoors for them. Please, please do not let the 2 cats who crawl go outside. Thank you and I hope that this helps you and your cats.

24. Vennetta Haas
    May 19, 2016 at 3:47 pm (5 years ago)

What does orange feces mean? When I moved into my new house in 2007 my cat of Ten years started to become very unhealthy due to the carpeting the landlord’s had brought into the house and caused her to start having the orange feces, weeks later she spasmed and past away. I’ve never been able to find out what the orange ment.

May 19, 2016 at 3:51 pm (5 years ago)

I’m so sorry about your kitty, Venetta. It’s possible that she had a reaction to the VOC’s in the new carpeting.

• Katie
        May 19, 2016 at 4:07 pm (5 years ago)

Omg! I’m so sorry about ur cat hun! 🙁 xx

• teresa
      July 28, 2016 at 1:47 pm (4 years ago)

Did you ever find out the cause for the orange stools? My 13 year old has started over the past month with orange pumkin pie-like stools. Can’t find any info on this.

• Katie
        August 3, 2016 at 3:48 pm (4 years ago)

I read somewhere about coatings on carpets etc, but i can’t remember where i got the info from?

• Katie
          August 3, 2016 at 3:49 pm (4 years ago)

Oops, just here, above! I actually hadn’t remembered where, sorry about that!

25. Katie
    May 6, 2016 at 8:39 am (5 years ago)

Just a query… I got my cat from a shelter, she’s been there as a kitten, n lived off whiskers wet with jelly and go-cat

Now i intend to give her ‘proper food’, i give him 2 stomach treats a day (he doesn’t like them) to ensure his tummies in top condition, giving him 70% meat content in pouch foods, and awaiting for my go-cat box to finish before i give him truline…

I’ve only had him 2-3 weeks, his poo smelt vile, seems to b smelling better, but he doesn’t seem very interested in the new food (whiskers content of cassia gum can reduce appetite?), he LOVES 100% pure stuff but struggling to find anything that good in wet (other than complementary)…

I dunno, any advice is welcome, I’m totally new to cats, and last night he had a loose stool that smelt worse than ever… He uses his litter box a lot (about 10 times a day?) and most fit in description of normal… But he seems to be getting a bit bulkier than when i first met him… I have no idea on food quantities… Ughhh, so confused…

The vet made me believe there’s no pure healthy food out there, but i found better than what she recommended…
    He breaths heavy, but she automatically checked on his first check up n didn’t say anything…
    She didn’t ask for a stool sample, n wondered if i should have offered?

Basically, i don’t trust my vet… She was saying that “royal canin is the best for him, and has been feeding hers on it since they were kittens”… I contended the” 4% meat and chicken from derives”… She still seemed to believe it’s the best out there… Since then I’ve found high meat dry kibble with veg in for the other nutrients…

Conflicting info everywhere, I’m pretty lost tbh!

May 6, 2016 at 8:54 am (5 years ago)

I think you need to find a different vet, Katie. Not only does she not sound like she’s well-educated about nutrition, the fact that she wasn’t concerned about your cat going to the litter box 10 times a day or his heavy breathing has me concerned.

You can find my recommendations for what to feed here: http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/ If you’d like more detailed and personalized advice, I’d be happy to schedule a consultation.

• Katie
        May 6, 2016 at 12:15 pm (5 years ago)

Aww thanks for info, i guess in uk they’re not given enough respect? I’ll have a word with a vet clinic n see if i can find someone who shows real interest. Dog aisles where i am are bigger n have more food selection. I’m struggling to keep him entertained too, so he lies lazily beside me…

And i have no idea about how much food either!

• Michelle
          May 12, 2016 at 11:24 pm (5 years ago)

A great way to keep lazy cats entertained is bathtub soccer. Put a toy ball in the bathtub for them to play with, when they bat it, the sides of the tub will roll it back to them. You can also toss it for them for some more bouncy fun. Works for my fat lazy cat.

• Katie
            May 13, 2016 at 8:20 am (5 years ago)

Haha awesome!
            Yeah, i tried it a couple of days ago, i couldn’t get him to come n join me in the bathroom
            I’m only in a flat, n i wonder if the rooms too small for him to feel he can comfortably escape…

I’ve done loads to try n improve his digestion; treats specifically designed (but theyre too big n he doesn’t like the taste)
            Bought him the best complete food i could find; he hated natures menu, seems to quite like hi-life tempt me, doesn’t seem mad keen on hi-life indulge complimentary or fish (tempt me) lol… He likes his dry easy digest food though… I got him these dried fish cat treats (nearly wrote that the wrong way round ) he doesn’t seem interested…

In terms of play, my friend who i call “cat whisperer Kim” told me to get some ribbon, so thankfully that works… And a piece of paper rolled into a stick – my own design but he seems to like it…

The Catit rolling ball game seems quite successful, but he seems to hit n watch, doesn’t get him activated… (bit like me on games consoles… Hitting buttons but bored lol!)

Taught him some new tricks (getting treats out of a jar) so his brain works

Running out of ideas in general now, but I’m definitely getting some things right… Learning more each day how to b a better “mommy”… Just my finances have taken a nose-dive while i look for solutions that he likes

I’ve not had him a month n think I’ve spent at least £300 on him (litter, carry case, toys, bed, post, different foods [complimentary/treats/complete/wet/dry] etc) MADNESS!

Most ppl think im crazy, but even tho ive found bargains that’ve saved me a fortune, everything seems necessary?

• layla
          June 20, 2016 at 9:51 am (4 years ago)

Cats are independent and they do sleep a lot lol Just allow him to be himself. If he wants attention he will come to you 🙂 Ive had cats all my life and i usually leave dry food and water out at all times and give a can of food through out the day when he meows for it. like a tablespoon because they rarely eat all in one sitting. they like to nibble. if you leave out dry cat food then you dont have to worry if they re eating or not because they can go nibble anytime they want.

• Sylvia Butler
      May 29, 2016 at 6:55 pm (4 years ago)

I only feed my animals Science Diet The litter box don’t smell at all.
      Also you need another Vet, I had one of those kind of vets, men who just didn’t like cats I think. Find a woman vet and don’t start those shelter animals with grocery store pet food, at least until you find out what their issues are.

May 30, 2016 at 5:42 am (4 years ago)

I do not recommend Science Diet. Their diets contain by products, corn and soy.

• Katie
        May 30, 2016 at 5:56 am (4 years ago)

She was a female vet, although i see Where you’re coming from, some male vets can be good too!

I learnt though that what vets learn in their course is sponsored by food companies, and so are lead to believe this is the best…

In America, vets are getting more and more aware, whereas Uk, we’re a step behind…

And wow, my replies section is too big and won’t show on mobile anymore (just blank boxes lol)

26. Les
    May 6, 2016 at 3:22 am (5 years ago)

Love your awesome site and hello from Sydney, Australia! Quick question and would love your feedback (if you have time). Have recently put my 9month old kitten onto a Holistic Select canned diet with only a tiny bit of kibble in between on working days. She also gets raw Hines and raw chunks of meat to help with dental health. I have noticed that since switching her from the old 50/50 kibble & canned diet into a predominantly canned diet, her stools have become smaller, a bit lighter, a little tapered on each end and happens around 24-36 hours. Is this normal and healthy for a cat on a premium mostly canned diet?

• Les
      May 6, 2016 at 3:23 am (5 years ago)

Oh sorry ‘Hines’ is supposed to be ‘bones’. Silly auto correct!

• June Walsh
      May 6, 2016 at 3:26 am (5 years ago)

Very normal from my experience. My cats are 11 months old and are on half canned and half raw and they go once a day but from the CRAP facebook group (cats on raw and proud) it is a fact that the raw is almost all digested so less waste products produced so less poop and definitely less pong. I would cut out the kibble altogether it’s devils food for cats (obviously that’s only my opinion)

• Les
        May 6, 2016 at 3:32 am (5 years ago)

Phew! Thank you. A lot of the sites on google mention the stools should be dark chocolate brown and be the size of a tootsie rolls! She’s definitely not doing that at all haha. Oh yes that Facebook page is so helpful. Yes trying to cut out the kibble but for the moment she only gets a little tiny bit while we’re at work. Thank you for letting me know my cat is ‘normal’! Phew!

• June Walsh
          May 6, 2016 at 3:39 am (5 years ago)

You’re welcome!

May 6, 2016 at 5:45 am (5 years ago)

I do not recommend any dry food for cats, either.

May 6, 2016 at 5:44 am (5 years ago)

Yes, that is completely normal, Les. The reason why stools become smaller and firmer on a premium canned (and especially on a raw) diet is that more nutrients get absorbed.

• Les
        May 6, 2016 at 7:01 am (5 years ago)

Thank you Ingrid! Your blog is incredibly useful – just love it!

27. Daymoe5000
    April 22, 2016 at 1:37 pm (5 years ago)

Hi there,
    We have a large (20 lb.) male that has been on a canned food diet for some time now. We feed him weruvia brand canned food, supposed to be one of the better ones out there, everything seemed fine for a while but now his poops are really starting to smell bad. Checking the litter after he’s gone reveals a soft, grey stool. Looks like soft grey clay, and STINKS!
    is this an indicator of anything in particular?
    Thanks!

April 22, 2016 at 1:55 pm (5 years ago)

Grey stool is not normal. I’d have your kitty checked over by your vet.

28. Rosalie Smith
    April 19, 2016 at 4:41 am (5 years ago)

I have 2 cats 121/2 & 9. They are strictly indoors. Had them on “Holistic Select ” diet since kittens. Recently adding grain free”Nulo” to old food. They also get some canned (same brands) in am &pm.Before new food, the older cat had diarrhea episode and vomited.Took her to vet next day. Did blood work, all tests were normal.No parasites in stool. Gave me meds,liquid & pills.She’s always eaten good. But since June 2014 has lost 3lbs. Seems to be doing better but stool smells awful!

April 19, 2016 at 5:55 am (5 years ago)

Eliminate all dry food, which isn’t good for cats, and you’ll most likely find that their stools will improve. Generally, feeding a premium grain-free canned or raw diet will ensure that more nutrients are absorbed, which means less smelly poop.

• June Walsh
      April 19, 2016 at 6:02 am (5 years ago)

Have you tried adding Saccharomyces Boulardii to their food and taking away the new food, not sure why you would change a tried and tested food plan at their age. I used half a capsule on my cats food morning and night as they suffered terribly from smelly poos from when I got them. Now I do’t even now when they’ve been and they are exclusively indoor cats too. I did ask my vet to do a more sensitive stool test which eventually did show up a bacterial infection which needed 15 days of anitbiotics (stomagyl) to clear

• June Walsh
        April 19, 2016 at 6:04 am (5 years ago)

I should also say that mine do not have any dry food as it does give them the runs and I believe it’s rubbish for cats, and they are half raw food half wet food fed

29. Chris Paull
    April 13, 2016 at 3:02 am (5 years ago)

Hi, I brought my car to the vet because of favoring his anus quite obviously. We figured out that he had blocked anal glands, he couldn’t feel any hard feces to cause constipation, but prescribed miralax to expel the glands and he said it would be led also help pass any hard stools he may not have been able to feel if there was any, which there ended up not being any. I keep switching back and forth with the required dose max time length mixed with wet food, and then dry food for a little then back to the miralax and wet….etc. it seems like it’s helping and he must have been quite backed up, but I was wondering, if he is expelling more of whatever the “liquid” from the glands is on his stools, what would the stool look like and what consistency would it have. He isn’t having diarrhea, just a few loose ones from the miralax maybe once at most twice in the cycle. Just curious.

• Chris Paull
      April 13, 2016 at 3:03 am (5 years ago)

*cat* haha sorry no proof read

April 13, 2016 at 5:42 am (5 years ago)

Anal gland secretions are typically a watery, yellow-brown fluid that can become thicker and gritty if the glands are impacted. It would be pretty hard to see if they come out mixed with stool, though.

30. Gerry
    March 27, 2016 at 11:21 am (5 years ago)

My cat’s poop is quite hard and she sometimes goes outside the litter box. Sometimes when she does this she also throws-up, but not always. She is Really very healthy. Is there something I can give her to soften up her stool just a little? She is a complete Indoor cat, doesn’t get much exercise, ONLY eats Friskies dry cat food ( cause that’s what she likes)–I’ve tried others. Other than her throwing up on occasion (like maybe 2 times a month) and her pooping, sometimes outside the litter box, she is very healthy and good. She has done the “going” outside litter box for a number of years. Sometimes it’s once in 1 and 1/2 months, once a month, or once or twice a week—never know.!! She is 11 years old.

March 27, 2016 at 3:02 pm (5 years ago)

Please take your cat to your vet for a check up, Gerry. If she’s straining so hard that she vomits from the exertion, there’s something wrong. Vomiting twice a month is not normal.

31. Mona
    February 20, 2016 at 3:18 pm (5 years ago)

Hi, my kitten is around 8 months old and she has been suffering from extreme laziness and loss of weight. She has not eaten in around 3 days and has attempted vomiting but there’s nothing in her tummy. She has also had spouts of diarrhea in the past 2 weeks but nothing that seemed serious. I’ve taken her to a vet and he said that it was an infection in her digestive tract and gave her shots that we’re supposed to follow through with for 5 days, but her health hasn’t been looking up at all. At this point, her health is deteriorating at an alarming rate and any help would be so appreciated.

February 20, 2016 at 5:10 pm (5 years ago)

You need to contact your vet or an emergency clinic, Mona.

32. Tamara
    February 8, 2016 at 11:36 am (5 years ago)

Hi, I’ve had my cat for about a year now, her name is Ginger, and she’s my baby. She has had a few of her shots already. She is well behaved other than the normal rough playing she does, but we’re working and making progress on that. Now we have a puppy, who has worms but we are treating it at this moment.. the cat likes to eat the dog food which we try hard to keep her away from, so here’s my thing .. lately 1) our cat has been extremely needy lately.. normally she’ll let you love on her for a few minutes and run away to go back and play.. but lately she just can’t get enough.. she will cling and never wants you to put her down, but we show equal attention to both dog and cat, 2) she ALWAYS uses her litter box, but today I came home and she had pooped on the floor and her stool is white-gray.. she still acts normal, extra clingy, but still playful like always .. but her stool color is abnormal to me… could anyone tell me what could be wrong? I’m really worried about her. 🙁

February 8, 2016 at 12:48 pm (5 years ago)

Contact your vet, Tamara.

33. Angrydonut7
    February 2, 2016 at 12:48 am (5 years ago)

Hey,

I was changing my cats litter box today and found a green stool. Should I be worried?

February 2, 2016 at 6:18 am (5 years ago)

Contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.

34. yara
    January 13, 2016 at 4:43 pm (5 years ago)

hi. i have a 2 month old cat. when we first got her she was on a certain dry food diet. she was ok the first week but after that she had diarrhea and started doint it outside the litter box. took her to the vet, she gave her antibiotics and serum for 6 days and changed her food brand. its been 7 days we’re off the treatment and her poop has been solid. today her poop was not runny but not solid as well. sourcream/yogurt consistency and she did it in the litter box. should i be concerned? she is eating drinking and playing normally

January 13, 2016 at 5:20 pm (5 years ago)

I’d give it another 24 hours. If your cat’s stool is still not back to normal, consult with your vet.

35. JIM
    November 21, 2015 at 11:48 pm (5 years ago)

I just adopted a 2½ yr old tortie, a female. Her poo stinks and she doesn’t cover it. I’ve been varying her diet, both wet and dry. It smelled at PetsMart the day I got her about 2½ weeks ago. She’s active and has no visible signs of anything wrong. Stool is a little loose, but not totally and only once a day. Any thoughts?

36. June walsh
    November 16, 2015 at 5:42 pm (5 years ago)

Reading these comments made me want to share my kitten’s exoerience. I got them 3 months ago at 13 weeks. Both had loose stools, thought it was dietary but after vet tests found they had clostridium perfringers with toxins. They’ve completed several courses of antibiotics when I read about a probiotic called saccharomyces boulardii. They’ve been on it a week now and I’m almost scared to hope they’re getting better. Proper stools first time since I got them

• Faye
      November 21, 2015 at 6:06 pm (5 years ago)

Hi june. My kitten has been told the same by the vets after a stool sample. How stool is always lose and orangy brown in colour and very frequent. He’s been given prescription cat food and Anti biotics for his colostridium perfringements and that was a week ago and no change. Are the pro biotics still working?

• June walsh
        November 22, 2015 at 7:50 am (5 years ago)

Yes so far so good. They did respond to the flagyl (brabd name if antibiotic when given to humabs, not st home so can’t renember pet btand name, stomagyl I think) but they are on half a capsule of the probiotic twice a day in their wet food, hills i/d. The transformation has been unbelievable, I’ll keep them on this dose for 30 days, then a maintenance dise of one quarter capsule twice a day for as long as I feel it’s necessary. Hope tgat helps, don’t delay get some and give it them. Good luck

• meow meow mittens
      December 7, 2015 at 6:36 pm (5 years ago)

Hi so i live on a ranch and we had a kitten that ran away for three years and he came back today and his poop is brownish with a little bit of yellow and mucusy at the end is he ok

December 8, 2015 at 6:53 am (5 years ago)

That’s remarkable that your cat returned after being gone for three years! Take him to your vet for a thorough check up.

37. Leslie
    November 6, 2015 at 6:34 pm (5 years ago)

Hi! I have a 10 year old cat. He’s had a vaccine induced fibrosarcoma survivor, and as a result had a hemipelvectomy last year. Recently I adopted a younger cat, which seems to stress the older cat because the younger always wants to play. The older cat has started defecating and urinating outside the litter box (I have 3), and it is usually close to the boxes or on the bathroom floor tiles. I thought this was a behavioral problem and was recommended to buy feliway and attract a cat litter – it has been a few days but no changes except the cats seem calmer. The older cat had diarrhea that was green with traces of blood for 1-2 days, and now has regular formed avocado green stools (still not using the box). His food and activity levels are normal. Should this be a cause for concern? Coincidental? Medical? Behavioral?

November 7, 2015 at 7:10 am (5 years ago)

I think you need to take your cat to a vet, Leslie. The green stool definitely is a cause for concern.

38. Amylia W.
    November 2, 2015 at 12:57 pm (5 years ago)

My 13 year old inside cat has been feeling sick lately. He has a heart murmur and anemia; he’s been a little dehydrated and has white stool. He has this weird cough that he does nonstop whenever he gets still and lays down. What could it be?

November 3, 2015 at 6:22 am (5 years ago)

If your cat hasn’t recently been seen by your vet, you need to take him immediately, Amylia. I’m very concerned about these symptoms.

39. Aimable Cats
    March 16, 2015 at 9:44 am (6 years ago)

When the feral cats lived in the shed, we had a litter box they used (until they got a bad bag of litter).

One of the cats at one time pooped what looked more like sausage patties than sausage links (sorry if you like sausage). What would cause that and should we be worried ?

March 16, 2015 at 10:02 am (6 years ago)

It’s impossible to say what causes loose stools without a fecal and/or medical exam. As mentioned in the article, one or two soft stools are probably not cause for concern if the cat is otherwise alert and eating and drinking normally. However, if the cat is lethargic, refuses to eat, and has multiple episodes of diarrhea a day, or if vomiting occurs at the same time, dehydration is a concern, and the cat will need veterinary attention.

40. Kitties Blue
    March 15, 2015 at 11:45 am (6 years ago)

Thanks for the run down (so to speak). Good info for all cat owners to have. XOCK. Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

41. Georgia and Julie
    March 14, 2015 at 8:25 am (6 years ago)

Lots of good information here, thanks!
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ

42. Deanna
    March 10, 2015 at 10:04 am (6 years ago)

My 15yr old boys suffers from constipation issues quite often. I have recently much switched him to Evo which is a wet food that is 95% meat and grain free. Prior to that he had Friskie’s wet food which definitely wasn’t the best thing for him. I also give him Miralax daily mixed in his food since pumpkin just wasn’t his thing. So far with the new food and Miralax things have improved but could still get better. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thanks

March 10, 2015 at 10:16 am (6 years ago)

I would add a good probiotic to your regimen, Deanna. I like the Dr. Goodpet product: http://amzn.to/YRaNcE

43. Lisa
    March 9, 2015 at 10:15 pm (6 years ago)

Very informative article Ingrid. I’ve seen my IBD cat go from having smelly, mounds of stool that looked like Play-Doh, to the normal stools you describe, on a commercial raw diet. Indeed, what a cat eats is a good indicator of what their stool will be like.

March 9, 2015 at 2:07 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks for the informative post. I try to watch my cats stools for any changes.

45. Glogirly
    March 9, 2015 at 1:26 pm (6 years ago)

I was absolutely amazed at the difference in the litter box after I was able to transition both Katie and Waffles to a whole food diet. (Waffles is on a 100% raw whole food diet now and Katie on a cooked version of the same.) You are right, there is NO odor. The color is slightly lighter as well… kind of a cafe au lait. …sorry to the coffee drinkers out there.

Scooping has never been so fun!

March 9, 2015 at 2:01 pm (6 years ago)

Cafe au lait will never be the same…. 🙂

46. Diane
    March 9, 2015 at 8:26 am (6 years ago)

My cat always had loose stools. I tried different foods but found cooking chicken and rice helped. About 6 months ago it got really bad and he started going outside the box on a regular basis. He was also eating a lot and losing weight. We went to the vet and found he had a nodule on his thyroid and his bloodwork indicated hyperthyroidism. After fighting with him to tak meds we opted for thyroidectomy. Only the one side was removed and we hoped the part that was left would begin to work. It did and now he is eating normal portions, stools are firm and he is gaining weight. I can only say taking him for testing saved his life..

March 9, 2015 at 1:19 pm (6 years ago)

I’m glad your cat is doing so well after his surgery, Diane.

47. Janine
    March 9, 2015 at 8:05 am (6 years ago)

Thanks for this post. it’s something we all need to know, but sometimes don’t like to talk about.

48. Minh
    March 9, 2015 at 7:28 am (6 years ago)

I volunteer for a rescue and had to send a cat back to the main site for orange colored stool. Do you know what that may be a sign of?

March 9, 2015 at 1:20 pm (6 years ago)

Orange stool can be a sign that there is too much bile in the stool, which can be an indicator of liver disease.

49. mary
    March 9, 2015 at 7:22 am (6 years ago)

hi. always keep canned plain pumpkin and plain greek yogurt in fridge for your cat. we give one cat daily pumpkin and yogurt. while cats like it, one cat sometimes needs it “administered”. the pumpkin keeps them regular and the yogurt has probiotics in it. A tsp a day of each for our cat with the chronic health problems. your post is an important one.

March 9, 2015 at 1:21 pm (6 years ago)

Yogurt is a great source of probiotics, Mary. Not all cats like it; for those who don’t, I recommend a daily probiotic supplement. I like the Dr. Goodpet product http://amzn.to/YRaNcE