Mews and Nips: Does Your Cat Greet You at the Door?

tortoiseshell_cats

The image above is pretty much what I see almost every time I come home, and it makes me happy every single time. I live in a split-foyer home, and Allegra and Ruby usually greet me at the top of the stairs. This is followed by Allegra stretching and rolling over to be petted, and Ruby rubbing up against me demanding attention, too. If there’s anything better than this to come home to, I don’t know what is. Do your cats greet you at the door?

If you missed any of the stories featured on The Conscious Cat this week, hereโ€™s a recap: on Monday, we warned you that your stress can make your cats sick, on Tuesday, Allegra reviewed Cat Crazies, on Wednesday, we told you all about whisker stress and how to prevent it, and on Friday, we reviewed Metal Cats, a new book featuring photographs of heavy metal musicians with their cats. And don’t forget to enter our giveaway for Purrify liter box deodorizer!

And speaking of cats and music, the cat in today’s video is being ever so helpful with her guardian’s music practice!

httpv://youtu.be/mV6lkoB3wRw

Have a great weekend!

14 Comments on Mews and Nips: Does Your Cat Greet You at the Door?

1. Susan
    April 26, 2015 at 9:56 pm (4 years ago)

My kitty Topaz greets me at the door. I used to get a little irritated when I would come in with lots of bags and there she would be, in the way. But then I realized how much I would miss it if she was not there. I just needed an attitude change.

Zesty rarely met at the door, although once she heard I was home she would come out to greet me. I always came home from work with “Girls, I’m Home. ”

The last few weeks of her life, she had taken to being closer by when I got home, not sure why the change.

2. JB
    September 7, 2014 at 2:22 am (5 years ago)

I’ve had Lola for a little over 3 years; adopted her when she was 4. She’d spent most of her life in the no-kill shelter; she’s black (I won’t go into the ridiculousness of the ‘black cats are bad luck’ idiocy).

Only a couple months after I had her, was she greeting me at the door! It’s the most wonderful, loving feeling to have this honor ๐Ÿ™‚ She meows at me and rolls for me to rub her belly, and pet her while she rubs her face in the rug and purrs. It’s the cutest thing ever! She wants this attention for about five, sometimes 10 minutes before I feed her dinner. She does roll a lot, and one of her nick names is ‘Lola the high rolluh’… I wuv hers wittew bewweey.

Sometimes, I hear her meow before I even get the door open. I wonder if she’s saying “hurry up, and come in already.” One time, I entered the first door, at the bottom of the stairs in our complex, and I heard her meow at me already! Either she heard me or could smell me…I’m hoping it was her excellent hearing, and not that I am smelly ๐Ÿ˜‰

I love all animals, but have a fondness for cats (esp. black ones). There is really something special about a cat that greets his/her guardian every time they come home.

September 7, 2014 at 5:58 am (5 years ago)

I agree, JB, there’s nothing better than coming home to a cat who greets you at the door.

3. Kathleen Adams
    May 15, 2014 at 9:46 am (5 years ago)

My 11 year old cat Patch has greeted me at the door for years. After work, or away for a weekend. She always knows it’s me. I live in an apartment building so I have other people next to me. She is waiting to be picked up and petted. It’s my favorite part of the day. Coming home to her.

4. Ingrid
    May 11, 2014 at 5:29 am (5 years ago)

Thanks for sharing your stories of how your cats welcome you at the door – I love all of them!

5. Eva Burnett
    May 10, 2014 at 9:57 pm (5 years ago)

One 2 black rescues, Bixby and Brianna both meet us at the door when we come in. The real antics take place when my husband comes home from work though. Because his schedule is rarely the same from week to week, I find it amazing that they seem to know when he is due home. Brianna stands on the top of the perch, which overlooks the second floor window, when she sees the car, she alerts Bixby, or confirms it and they both make a run down the stairs. If they are in deep sleep, the sound of the engine coupled with the sound of the alarm system on the car is enough to start the procession. Once the bottom of the stairs is reached, you would think that these two have suffered from intolerable cruelty and total starvation while he was at work. The pathetic sounds coming from the pair of them is heart wrenching. I can only hope for this level of attention if I am the only one at home with them, otherwise I might as well be an inanimate object of no catly interest.

May 11, 2014 at 5:21 am (5 years ago)

That’s quite a welcome, Eva!

May 10, 2014 at 12:42 pm (5 years ago)

Funny video. I have two that are usually there but; the other two could take it or leave it. LOL. Have a great weekend.
    Sue B

7. Will Hodges
    May 10, 2014 at 12:08 pm (5 years ago)

Anya is usually asleep in her mom’s office upstairs. She listens for the garage door to open . . . waits for it to close . . . and then comes running down the stairs when I come in the garage door. Then she stretches, and asks for a scratch! Oscar, who has been with us only 2 months now, has learned the routine, and is sometimes waiting at the door even before Anya comes down. But he’s more interested in either getting more food, or going downstairs for a “tour” of the basement . . . to make sure the house is safe from those community cats that he sometimes sees outside. Nothing like being met at the door by your “kids”!

8. Diane Ricciardi Stewart
    May 10, 2014 at 10:58 am (5 years ago)

yes, most of mine greet me, or my son when we come through the door. . . <3

9. Alice
    May 10, 2014 at 10:39 am (5 years ago)

One of my cats, Maggie, whom I adopted as a stray 4 years ago, always greets me at the door. Matter of fact, she can hardly wait for me to open it enough to squeeze her little face in it! My older boy, Mingo, is more laid back about it. Only once did Maggie not greet me at the door, which was really strange since she never misses. So I called to her and heard an answering meow. Stranger and stranger! I called again and followed the sound of her meow: Somehow she had snuck past me when I was getting some clothes out of my walk-in closet and got accidentally trapped in it for several hours before I got home. Lesson learned: Check to make sure my cats are not in the closet before leaving.

10. Tulsi G
    May 10, 2014 at 8:36 am (5 years ago)

Nope, there’s nothing better. My new rescues are slowly but surely becoming relaxed enough to show more of their personalities, and I hope I will see something like this some day! One of my fondest memories of my cat, Tulsi, was when we were living in San Jose, CA. My cats were indoor/outdoor then, and I remember driving around the corner approaching our house when…here’s Tulsi, ball of fluffy grey fur, running across the lawn to greet me with a protracted meow that would “bounce” as her paws hit the ground. ( Me-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow)!!!! It warmed my heart and made me laugh out loud. Of course, she may well have been saying, “You’re late! I’m hungry. I want dinner now-ow-ow-ow-ow!” But I prefer to think she was happy that her big sister was home!

11. Julia
    May 10, 2014 at 7:16 am (5 years ago)

My tortie girl Iggy sees me from my upper flat window when I pull up, and greets me at the door–only, she stands so close to it I end up having to push her away with the door every time!

12. Marilyn
    May 10, 2014 at 6:42 am (5 years ago)

I live on the third floor of an apartment building now and Gordon must recognize my footsteps coming up the stairs. He is always right at the door when I come in no matter how long I’ve been gone – all day, or just to get the mail. It just warms my heart every time. Jasmine can’t be bothered having her nap interrupted, but she is very affectionate when it suits her. Aren’t cats just the greatest?!!!!!!