An Important Message to Our Facebook Fans

Facebook timeline cover

Those of you who follow us on Facebook know that we have a very active Facebook page. I update the page several times a day and try to find the most relevant, entertaining and fun information for you from around the web. I share articles from other sites, as well as adorable cat photos, cat humor, and what has become the most popular feature on the page, our daily “good night Facebook” photo.

Our community of cat lovers on Facebook is over 20,000. So why is it that only a few of you actually see all of the updates I post on the page?

It’s because of something called “algorithm.” An algorithm is a step-by-step procedure used for calculations. Companies like Facebook and Google use algorithms to determine what a user sees on his or her computer. These calculations are proprietary information, and they change constantly.

Recently, Facebook changed its algorithm. According to AdAge magazine, Facebook said “we expect organic distribution of an individual page’s posts to gradually decline over time.” What this means is that the best (and in the future, possibly the only) way to get what I post on The Conscious Cat Facebook page seen by as many of you as possible, is that I would have to pay for it.

As much as I would love to make sure that you still see all the content I offer on the page, I simply can’t afford to pay for each and every post and each and every adorable cat photo.

There are a few things you can do to make sure you don’t miss out on any of our great content:

Make sure you are subscribed to our daily posts

I know many of you find out about new posts on this site via Facebook. If you’re not already a subscriber, make sure you’ve subscribed to our daily posts. This way, you will receive them in your inbox every single day, first thing in the morning. You will receive the full post in the email.

At the bottom of each email are social media share buttons, and of course, we’d love it if you shared our posts on your social networks.

Click here to subscribe to our daily updates.

Don’t miss any of our updates on Facebook

If you don’t want to miss any of the updates on our Facebook page, there are three things you can do:

1. Bookmark The Conscious Cat Facebook page and visit the page directly, rather than taking the chance that you’ll miss any of our updates in your newsfeed. This is the best way to ensure that you won’t miss a single update.

2. Get notifications of new content on Facebook. Simply hover your mouse over the “Liked” button on The Conscious Cat Facebook page, and click on “Get Notifications.”

3. Create an Interest List on Facebook. You could create a list called “Favorite Pages.” To add The Conscious Cat page to that list, click on the arrow next to the wheel at the top of the page (next to the “message” tab). Click on “Add to Interest Lists.” When you’re browsing Facebook, Interest Lists will show up in the left sidebar of your home page. You click on the link, and some (but not all) of the updates from pages you’ve added to that list will show in your newsfeed.

We hope this information is helpful. We love having you as part of your community, and we love finding interesting and entertaining content for you.

Thank you for your reading, sharing and supporting The Conscious Cat!

15 Comments on An Important Message to Our Facebook Fans

1. toni / rctees
    January 3, 2014 at 11:14 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks Ingrid! Very interesting….and informative. I do look forward to your daily posts…would hate to think of loosing them!! A favorites page huh? Sounds like a plan.

2. Raine
    January 3, 2014 at 11:00 pm (6 years ago)

This was very helpful- I’ve been a FB fan for quite sometime but my feed is overwhelming. I wasn’t aware that I could create a favorites page and more ( I admit I’m terrible with a lot of social networking) I look forward to being able to prioritize my favorite sites into one place- thank you!

January 3, 2014 at 8:26 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you. Facebook is always changing things. Drives me crazy. I do miss a lot of my favorite posts.

4. Jobi and Fisher
    January 3, 2014 at 5:01 pm (6 years ago)

Well said! Thanks for letting us know.

January 3, 2014 at 5:15 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks, Jobi!

5. Cynthia Southern
    January 3, 2014 at 4:07 pm (6 years ago)

Your fans can also go to your page under the like/liked category. There is a tab in that same drop down menu that says ‘notifications.’ If you click that it will automatically send notifications to your message section on the globe at the top of Facebook every time you post something new. I do that with your page and several others because I don’t want to miss any new posts.

January 3, 2014 at 5:15 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks, Cynthia – I added this option to the post!

6. HH and the Boys
    January 3, 2014 at 3:11 pm (6 years ago)

HH has begun to understand this with her art page as well. It seems that since she boosted a couple of posts, the number of people who see the unboosted ones is lower than the unboosted ones prior to boosting. It’s as if Facebook is trying to teach HH to boost. Just like you. she can’t afford to do it every time. We will visit your page….. that’s for sure.

Have a great weekend.

hugs, Bugsy and Knuckles

January 3, 2014 at 5:15 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks HH and boys.

7. Mwroc the Cat
    January 3, 2014 at 11:54 am (6 years ago)

I’m a fan on Facebook, (but not a fan OF facebook) but I’d be just as happy to follow your interesting posts and insights via email or through your website or other ways… so yes, I agree with previous posters, we can do without facebook =^..^=

January 3, 2014 at 5:14 pm (6 years ago)

As long as you follow us, it doesn’t matter to us how! Thank you for your kind words!

8. Margaret
    January 3, 2014 at 11:40 am (6 years ago)

I’m not a Facebook fan although I am registered with same – but find it a muddle and a puzzle to work my way round the site, so your daily posts are enough for me.

As the first responder has said, there is always something interesting and informative in your posts and we all learn a lot from them. You write so well and so knowledgably
    about things, so do keep up the good work.

We can do without Facebook!

January 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you so much, Margaret!

9. Viki Worden
    January 3, 2014 at 11:19 am (6 years ago)

I do follow you on Facebook however, lately I haven’t been on there much. I never miss your posts that come in my inbox though. I usually find something interesting from your posts that I didn’t know before. I love reading about information related to cats because I always think about my kitties and see if they fit the information that is discussed. I love sharing about my kitties too, although sometimes I am long winded :-). I hope your posts continue for a very long time.

Thank you!

January 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you for your kind words, Viki! And I love that you are so active with your comments – I always enjoy hearing from my readers!