Mews and Nips: Cats Who Live at Libraries

library_cat

If there’s a better combination than cats and books, I don’t know what that would be. According to Wikipedia, the relationship between cats and libraries is centuries old. Dating as far back as ancient Egypt and the Middle Ages, it is most likely that cats were utilized to prevent rodents from eating expensive manuscripts. Modern day library cats probably spend less time hunting mice and more time entertaining library patrons and staff. Ernie, the cat shown in the picture above, is the manager at the Bealeton, VA library. Ernie, who is polydactyl, was named after Ernest Hemingway, whose fondness for these cats is well known. Click here to read more about Ernie.

Mental Floss features a whole series of cats who live at libraries. Does your local library have a resident cat?

If you missed any of the stories featured on The Conscious Cat this week, here’s a recap: on Monday, we profiled Nine Lives Blood Bank, on Tuesday, we introduced you to the CritterZone air purifier, which now comes in a convenient travel pack, along with a special discount for Conscious Cat readers, on Wednesday, Allegra and Ruby discussed our sleeping arrangements, and on Friday, we brought you a brief interview with New York Times bestselling author Gwen Cooper, whose wonderful book, Love Saves the Day, is now available in paperback. And don’t forget to enter our giveaway for a $50 Whole Foods gift card!

Today’s video compilation of cats made me laugh out loud at times. I can’t get over how completely unperturbed some of the cats were by the dogs’ efforts to dislodge them from their beds!

httpv://youtu.be/G2vfq-KTx8Q

Have a great weekend!

15 Comments on Mews and Nips: Cats Who Live at Libraries

1. Debbie
    November 15, 2013 at 1:45 pm (6 years ago)

I should have read the article first, there he is! I didn’t know he had his own blog…

2. Debbie
    November 15, 2013 at 1:35 pm (6 years ago)

Oh, there is a cat in our library too, his name is Pages. He is a beautiful black and white kitty who is often laying in a sunny patch in the entryway. I didn’t realize it was common for there to be library cats!

3. Margaret
    October 30, 2013 at 1:08 pm (6 years ago)

Hmmmm, yes, lovely article, lovely pussies – but what about that most famous fellow from Spencer Library in Iowa…. the one we have all read and cried over –
    yes of course I’m referring to Dewey Readmore Books….. I read that about two years ago and still haven’t got over it! I don’t think libraries in the UK have cats – or at least none that I’ve heard of – now somebody is going to prove me wrong I’m sure…….

October 30, 2013 at 1:53 pm (6 years ago)

Of course you’re right, Margaret. Dewey was the library cat that put all other library cats on the map. πŸ™‚

4. Cynthia Southern
    October 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm (6 years ago)

I meant Dewey not Homer in my previous post. I am getting Dewey confused with Gwen Cooper’s Homer. πŸ™‚

5. Cynthia Southern
    October 26, 2013 at 6:37 pm (6 years ago)

I really enjoyed reading Homer: The Small Town Library Cat by Vicki Myron. I have never thought of book drops in the same way. That was so sad that someone put him in the book drop in the middle of the IA winter. It was fortunate for the library though. Homer was loved by everyone and virtually ran the library himself. No one could visit the library without visiting and petting Homer. I wish my two libraries that I am a patron at had library cats.

I used to go to a bookstore in college that had a library cat. I always enjoyed saying hello when I bought my latest tome.

October 26, 2013 at 6:47 pm (6 years ago)

I love how two of you called the library cat Homer – I’m thinking it’s a good sign that you both have Gwen Cooper’s Homer on your minds! πŸ™‚ That was a great story. I keep hoping that the rumors about a movie based on the book are true.

6. Esme
    October 26, 2013 at 12:39 pm (6 years ago)

I never knew about library cats until I read Homer.

October 26, 2013 at 6:45 pm (6 years ago)

Actually, the library cat was Dewey. That was a wonderful book.

7. Glogirly and Katie
    October 26, 2013 at 11:14 am (6 years ago)

So nice to meet Ernie…we suspect he has a wonderful storybook life as a library cat.
    …and OMC, that video! LOVE!!! The part where the dogs are dragging the beds around with the cats in them is hysterical!!!
    Thanks for the giggles!

October 26, 2013 at 6:45 pm (6 years ago)

I can’t believe the cats put up with that! I guess anything to not give up the bed :-)!

October 26, 2013 at 11:10 am (6 years ago)

That video was adorable. No library cats that I know of around here. Happy Caturday.

October 26, 2013 at 6:44 pm (6 years ago)

Happy Caturday to you, too, Sue!

9. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    October 26, 2013 at 10:53 am (6 years ago)

Oh my catness! There were so many great moments in that video that I couldn’t possibly pick a favorite! Thanks for sharing!

October 26, 2013 at 6:44 pm (6 years ago)

I couldn’t pick a favorite, either, Deb.