Conscious Cat Sunday: Cats Are Soul Savers

cats_save_souls

There are hundreds of folk tales and superstitions surrounding cats, and one of them is that cats steal a dead person’s soul. Of course we know that that’s ridiculous. In fact, and I’m sure that all of you agree with me on this: cats are good for the soul.

People may fall into one of two categories: soul suckers or soul savers. But there’s no doubt in my mind that all cats are soul savers.

You probably know a soul sucker or two. Soul suckers are always negative, angry and judgmental. They get their kicks out of dividing people. They trade their soul for some perceived power over others; a power that exists only in their own minds. They’re the ones who always come up with warnings about everything. They leave nasty comments on blogs and on Facebook. Life is always hard, things are always bad, and they just know the world is going to hell in a hand basket. They suck all the energy out of a room, and they want everyone around them to commiserate and live the same miserable lives they do.

Soul savers, on the other hand, see the beauty and light in the world. Just being around them feels good. They believe that basic goodness exists in all of us. They don’t deny that there is pain and suffering in the world, but they don’t constantly share stories of struggle and misery. They are compassionate, and they care for others and uplift them. They’re good listeners. They are there for others when they’re needed, but they won’t allow others to indulge in self-pity and negativity.

Doesn’t that describe purr-fectly what cats do for us? Studies have already shown that cats are good for our health. Simply petting a cat can lower your blood pressure. A 10-year study at the University of Minnesota Stroke Center found that cat owners were 40 percent less likely to haveĀ heart attacksĀ than non-cat owners. But cats are not just good for our physical health, they’re also good for our mental, spiritual and emotional health.

Cats remind us to live in the moment, to slow down, and not take life so seriously all the time. If that’s not the work of a a soul saver, I don’t know what is.

21 Comments on Conscious Cat Sunday: Cats Are Soul Savers

1. Mary
    September 23, 2013 at 10:05 pm (6 years ago)

This is such a great post. It reminds me how easy it is to fall into spending too much time and energy on the icky stuff. I often find myself struggling with all the evil and cruelty, especially that aimed at defenseless animals. I share these stories because I want others to feel outraged as I do, maybe even enough to take some action to help. But you’re right — it’s better to be a soul saver who doesn’t wallow in it and who spends one’s time inspiring and uplifting as you do here at the Conscious Cat. And obviously you get so much of that great energy from your torties. Thanks for sharing it — and so much of yourself — with all of us.

2. Andrea
    September 22, 2013 at 11:49 pm (6 years ago)

I have to say, though it is a very long story, Mewdy Blue definitely saved my soul. I fear though that he may have taken it with him to the Rainbow Bridge.

September 23, 2013 at 6:44 am (6 years ago)

Oh Andrea, I know what you mean! I feel like each time one of my cats dies, they take a piece of my soul with them.

3. Caren Gittleman
    September 22, 2013 at 3:58 pm (6 years ago)

I sure pray that I am more of a “soul saver” and yes, cats DEFINITELY are!
    xoxo

September 22, 2013 at 4:02 pm (6 years ago)

Yes, you are a soul saver, Caren!

4. Lynda
    September 22, 2013 at 12:36 pm (6 years ago)

Beautifully put, Ingrid. Cats are without prejudice, without hate, without greed. They constantly remind me to NOT fall into prescribed human behaviors. I hurry home every day, looking forward to just being with them; they are my visible soul.

September 22, 2013 at 4:02 pm (6 years ago)

“they are my visible soul” – what a beautiful way of putting it, Lynda!

September 22, 2013 at 12:31 pm (6 years ago)

My kitties sure are good for my soul. Think I would feel very alone without them. Really loved this post Ingrid.

September 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm (6 years ago)

I can’t imagine life without my girls, Sue. I’m glad you loved this post!

6. toni / rctees
    September 22, 2013 at 12:10 pm (6 years ago)

Beautiful, so true and written by one of my favorite “soul savers”.
    Thanks Ingrid!

September 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm (6 years ago)

Aww, thanks, Toni!

7. maru
    September 22, 2013 at 11:13 am (6 years ago)

They are healers, definitely, each one in a different way, but all can change the atmosphere in a purr.

September 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm (6 years ago)

“all can change the atmosphere in a purr” – I love that, Maru!

8. Bobbi Hahn
    September 22, 2013 at 11:02 am (6 years ago)

Great post, Ingrid!

September 22, 2013 at 4:00 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks, Bobbi!

9. Texas
    September 22, 2013 at 9:15 am (6 years ago)

That is very true. I always feel good in the presence of my cats, and they never miss to make me laugh when I need it. It is certainly not the case of everyone I meet.
    Have a great Sunday!
    Carine
    (Texas’ human)

September 22, 2013 at 4:00 pm (6 years ago)

LOL Carine! Cats always make us feel good, don’t they.

10. Jobi and Fisher
    September 22, 2013 at 5:57 am (6 years ago)

Cats are a purfect example of beings that “let” us save them so they can instill their powers of healing, loving, and respect. If we forget to laugh often, they provide the way.

September 22, 2013 at 6:21 am (6 years ago)

Purr-fectly stated, Jobi and Fisher!

11. viki worden
    September 22, 2013 at 1:54 am (6 years ago)

I totally agree with this Ingrid. My cats always make me feel better no matter what kind of mood i am in. I feel calm when they are around. Also, they like being in a relaxed atmosphere, not yelling, etc. This is true whether it’s positive or negative yelling. They keep me in line, lol. I would have to say that i can fall under either category. Sometimes i feel like a soul sucker when things are going bad in my life and i talk about it to people, especially when i go through depressive episodes due to my disability. I don’t want to bring my friends or coworkers down. I have always liked being the soul saver. I always have tried to make people laugh and have had a lot of people tell me that i am always smiling. I’m not really but i like that i present myself that way to them.

September 22, 2013 at 6:20 am (6 years ago)

There is nothing soul sucking about sharing yourself with others, Viki, even when it’s sharing what is troubling you. That’s part of life, and part of having genuine relationships with others. It only becomes “soul sucking” when that’s all someone does all day long – and quite frankly, it’s not just damaging to those around the soul sucker, but to the soul sucker himself (or herself).

And you make an excellent point about cats wanting to be in a relaxed atmosphere!