Allegra, Ruby and the iPad

I had been considering getting an iPad for quite some time, and a couple of weeks ago, I finally took the plunge. The iPad is my first Apple device, and I like almost everything about it. I use it for various aspects of my business, and it has made my life easier – and isn’t that what technology is ultimately all about? And yes, I admit it: it’s also just plain fun.

What I didn’t expect is that Allegra and Ruby would also enjoy it. But why don’t I let them tell you about it.

Ruby: What is that flat thing that Mom keeps staring at, Allegra?

Allegra: I don’t know, Ruby. Looks like a larger version of that other flat thing she reads books on.

Ruby: But look, she’s tapping it, and the picture on it has colors, and it keeps changing.

Allegra: You’re making that up, Ruby.

Ruby: No, I’m not. Look, she’s putting it on the floor for us! There’s fishies! Wee!!!

cats_with_iPad

Allegra: Huh. Interesting.

Ruby: Look, Allegra! When I catch the fishie, it disappears! All you can see are bubbles! Wee!!! Die, fishie, die!!!

Allegra: Let me see, Ruby.

Ruby: There’s another fishie! Get it, Allegra!

Allegra: Out of my way, Ruby!

A note from Ingrid: Ruby loves playing the Cat Fishing Game. Allegra was a little more hesitant at first, and also got bored with it more quickly.

We’ll be sure to check out more games for the girls in the future.

Do your cats play iPad games?

httpv://youtu.be/dH5u-aSodWo

21 Comments on Allegra, Ruby and the iPad

1. Donna
    February 8, 2014 at 3:14 pm (5 years ago)

My cats love Formula One car races on tv.

February 8, 2014 at 5:31 pm (5 years ago)

I can see where that would be fun for cats to watch, Donna!

2. The Island Cats
    August 7, 2013 at 9:18 pm (6 years ago)

We haven’t gotten our paws on the mom’s ipad…yet. That’s about to change!

August 8, 2013 at 9:09 am (6 years ago)

You’ll have so much fun with it – just don’t tell your mom you got the idea to use it here…

3. Meg
    August 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm (6 years ago)

My one-year old loves “Games for Cats” on the iPad — it has a few different target types (the kitty watches them move and bats at them for points!), like a laser pointer, a mouse that squeaks when you get it, and a butterfly that flaps around slowly. He doesn’t stay interested in it for a long time (like, say, my teenage nephew!), but it’s definitely fascinating to him. I’ll have to try out the Cat Fishing Game! Here’s Games for Cats: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/game-for-cats/id406740405?mt=8

August 8, 2013 at 9:08 am (6 years ago)

We’ll definitely check that one out, Meg!

4. Monica Ackerman
    August 7, 2013 at 2:28 pm (6 years ago)

Good for Ruby! my cats won’t even watch the aquarium screen saver with bubble noise but they love to watch the birds flock around the feeder outside my window. I keep bringing cool new toys into the house and no one cares. For a minute they’re both intrigued and then they just walk away. So I’m left alone playing with the remote controlled laser mouse which is really cute, the almost real wiesel which rolls around with a ball, the lady bug on a stick over a magnetic base, etc. etc. . Guess Chelsea and Charlie are not as tech savy as Ruby and Allegra. Have fun.

August 7, 2013 at 3:43 pm (6 years ago)

I’m glad you’re having fun with the toys, Monica! 😉

August 7, 2013 at 11:33 am (6 years ago)

That looks like a lot of fun for kitties. I don’t have an iPad so no kitties games. And kitties wouldn’t look at my desktop. LOL.

August 7, 2013 at 3:43 pm (6 years ago)

Yeah, somehow, a desktop just doesn’t quite seem to do it for cats, Sue – although Allegra loves to follow the movement of the cursor on my screen.

6. dianaberry1985
    August 7, 2013 at 11:05 am (6 years ago)

Hi Ingrid,

So glad you took the plunge. I have a 1st generation ipad (yes its heavy, no camera,etc) but I love, love, love , love. love it. My girls don’t play games but I’m always watching “Friends of Felines (ffrc) rescue center” on Ustream. I’ll see them watching the other cats sometimes and listening to their meows and noise from playing. Not sure if you know about that site but its a great organization. Enjoy your ipad.

Diana, Lucy and Rikki

August 7, 2013 at 3:42 pm (6 years ago)

I’ll have to check out FFRC, Diana!

7. Missy@dawsondogs
    August 7, 2013 at 10:46 am (6 years ago)

What a great way to catch fish.

8. Caren Gittleman
    August 7, 2013 at 8:47 am (6 years ago)

Ruby! Come over to my house and play with me too! I love my iPad! Love, Cody PS: that fishy game is my fave too!

9. Dorothy
    August 7, 2013 at 8:03 am (6 years ago)

Mistletoe enjoys the bird and fish videos on YouTube. There are some actually made for feline enjoyment and other’s that are for all species. Hitch hasn’t found the iPad as interesting as Mistletoe does. Mistletoe also finds the iPad a good napping spot. It doesn’t matter where it is, she likes to curl up on it. I hope Allegra and Ruby enjoy their new iPad too.

August 7, 2013 at 3:42 pm (6 years ago)

Ah, so the iPad is really an expensive cat bed!

10. Dorothy Williams
    August 7, 2013 at 7:46 am (6 years ago)

I have 5 furry mischiefs. They each play for varying lengths of time depending on what orher interesting things are going on at that moment. The shyest one seems more interested in it than in playing with the rambunctious youngsters so she and I tussle for iPad time.

August 7, 2013 at 3:41 pm (6 years ago)

That’s interesting that your shyest cat is more interested in the iPad than the others. In our case, it’s the reverse. Ruby is the rambunctious one, yet she is fascinated by the iPad.

11. Lynda
    August 7, 2013 at 5:35 am (6 years ago)

May I suggest an app called PaintForCats (from hiccup). My Dante and Puck give it 4 Paws Up.

August 7, 2013 at 3:41 pm (6 years ago)

We’ll definitely have to check that one out, Lynda!