Meet Leann Sweeney, Author of the Cats in Trouble Series

The_Cat_the_Mill_and_the_Murder_Leann_Sweeney

I’ve been enjoying the Cats in Trouble series, featuring cat quilter Jillian Hart, who settled in the small town of Grace, South Carolina with her three cats, since the very first book. The latest in the series, The Cat, The Mill and the Murder, was just released yesterday.

In this installment in the delightful series, Jillian volunteers to help a local animal shelter relocate a colony of feral cats living in an abandoned textile mill. She never expects to find a woman living there, too. The woman, who went missing from Mercy, South Carolina, a decade ago, refuses to leave the mill or abandon Boots, her cat who died years ago. After the woman is hurt in an accident and is taken away, those who’ve come to town to help repurpose the mill make a terrible discovery, and Jillian tries to unearth a long-kept and dark secret with the help of a mysterious new feline friend.

Look for a review of The Cat, The Mill and The Murder on The Conscious Cat soon.

I had a chance to ask Leann Sweeney a few questions, and I’m delighted to introduce you to this talented, cat loving author today.

Leann_Sweeney

Leann Sweeney was born and raised in Niagara Falls and educated at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Lemoyne College in Syracuse, NY. She also has a degree from the University of Houston in behavioral science and worked for many years in psychiatry and as a school nurse; she now writes full time. Leann is married with two fabulous grown children, a wonderful son-in-law and a beautiful daughter-in-law–not to mention three amazing granddaughters: Maddison Grace (Maddie), Morgan Elizabeth and Meika Elise. She lived in Texas from 1974 to 2012 and now lives in South Carolina with husband Mike, her two cats Wexford and Marlowe, and Rosie–the smart, retrieving, golf-ball chasing, busy-busy-busy mini-labradoodle.

When did you first get the idea for the Cats in Trouble series?

My editor knew I was a cat lover and we worked out the series idea together.

Who were the real life cats who inspired Merlot, Chablis and Syrah?

When I first started the series I had three cats of my own, all of whom have since left me for the Rainbow Bridge. But they continue to be an inspiration even now. Wexford and Marlowe, two ragdolls, now help motivate me. I couldn’t write the series if I didn’t play with and watch those two boys!

The series is set in South Carolina, and you moved there last year. Did writing the series have something to do with your decision to move there?

Yes. I wanted a different setting than Texas, and since we already had property in South Carolina and planned to build a house (which is now in progress!!) it seemed like the perfect place for a fictional town.

Tell us about your own pets.

Leann_Sweeney's_cats

Wexford is a silver tabby ragdoll and he is very shy. He’s a bird watcher and bug catcher, though. Because he is so shy, I decided to get another kitten and looked for a more outgoing cat to balance his nature. Little did I know I had adopted one very sick kitty.

Marlowe, a bicolor seal point ragdoll, started having seizures a few days after I brought him home. He had an infection (either toxoplasmosis or FIP) that was pretty massive. Wexford and I have fought hard to save him, and though he is still on antibiotics and seizure medicine, he is playing and running and acting more like a kitten every day. Wexford makes sure his new best friend is thoroughly clean and gets plenty of exercise.

We also have a wonderful dog—Rosie, a mini-labradoodle. She is smarter than smart and busy all day long chasing squirrels or begging to chase golf balls outside.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

Read! I am also a quilter and a cross stitcher.

Who or what inspires you?

Besides my cats, it’s probably just the environment and what I see in a news story that says, “well … what if it happened THIS way? Hmmmm…”

What are you currently reading?

I am currently reading Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman

Will there be more Cats in Trouble mysteries?

Absolutely. I am working on #6 and already have an idea for #7!

15 Comments on Meet Leann Sweeney, Author of the Cats in Trouble Series

1. Martha Walton
    February 9, 2019 at 7:17 pm (6 months ago)

I love this series and am eagerly awaiting The Cat, The Boy, and The Bones. When will it be ready for purchase? I understand Ms Sweenet had an accident and I just want to voice my support and prayers for h er full recovery.

2. Jane
    January 5, 2019 at 1:01 pm (8 months ago)

So looking forward to The Cat the Boy and the Bones. Hoping Leann is mending well.

3. Debra Childers
    December 12, 2018 at 5:53 pm (8 months ago)

I am also looking forward to the Cat the Boy and the Bones, which I understand has been delayed due to an extreme accident which injured our much loved author. I continue to pray for her healing, and more delightful Cat books in the years to come.

4. elaine geiger
    September 25, 2018 at 8:57 am (11 months ago)

I enjoy the series very much and an looking forward to the next book, The Cat, The Boy and The Bones. When will it be OUT FOR PUBLICATION?

5. Sandra Borneman
    February 22, 2018 at 4:07 pm (1 year ago)

Have just finished The Cat, The Collector and the Murder. This is my first book reading the cats in trouble. Wanted to read the next titled The Cat, The Boy and the Bones. Library does not have it and can find nothing on the internet. How do I acquire it?

• Janice
        May 6, 2018 at 6:31 pm (1 year ago)

There was an excerpt of The Cat the Boy and the Bones in The book The Cat the Collector and The Killer. When will that one come out it said October of 2017 in the excerpt.

• Monica
        August 14, 2018 at 10:41 pm (1 year ago)

When will the cat the boy and the bones come out? Was this book canceled? The excerpt was in the Cat and the Collector book.

August 15, 2018 at 5:21 am (1 year ago)

I’m not sure what happened to the series, Monica – the last book came out in 2016.

6. Martha Walton
    November 11, 2017 at 5:27 pm (2 years ago)

I am lookiing forward to reading the newest book, The Cat, the boy, and the bones. When will it be released for purchase?

7. Ann
    May 19, 2014 at 12:16 pm (5 years ago)

I enjoy your Cat in Trouble books. Can hardly wait for #6 book.
    I had six cats when I started reading the series. I now have five as my Lizajane – a tortie- crossed over the rainbow bridge at age 17 around Christmas time. She would only drink water from the tap in the kitchen. Miss her. The antics your book cats do reminds me of Liza.

8. Bugsy and Knuckles
    May 8, 2013 at 9:43 am (6 years ago)

Thank you for that wonderful review and for reminding us of her. HH read her first book. She’s anxious to try the others.

Have a great day.

hugs, Bugsy and Knuckles

May 8, 2013 at 6:34 pm (6 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed the interview!

9. Sammy
    May 8, 2013 at 9:36 am (6 years ago)

This looks like a thoroughly delightful series! Wonderful interview Ingrid – a nice introduction to someone who obviously loves writing mysteries with a touch of feline! Right up my alley…..

Pam

May 8, 2013 at 6:33 pm (6 years ago)

I think you’ll enjoy this series, Pam.