Ruby’s Reflections: The Art of Lap Sitting

lap_cat

Hi everyone, it’s Ruby! I thought I’d present a tutorial I developed for how to make the most of your time on your human’s lap. Mom says I’m the best little lap sitter, and I’m constantly purr-fecting my technique!

1. Begin by looking up at your human with a pitiful expression on your face. You know you can jump on your human’s lap anytime you please, but it’s more effective to make your human think they have to coax you up. It works like a charm 99% of the time with Mom. The other 1% (hey, are you impressed with my math skills!) I just jump up anyway.

2. Once you’re on your human’s lap, you can either simply curl up and go to sleep, or you can do what I do for extra points: I put my paws on Mom’s shoulder and give her a big hug. I know she loves it, and the best part is, she hugs me back!

hugging_cat

3. Before you settle down completely, you might want to give yourself a quick bath. Humans tend to think this is adorable. For extra points, lick your human’s hand a few times.

4. Then it simply comes down to staying power. Curl up in a comfortable position, and go to sleep. Most humans will not make you move, even if they start to feel uncomfortable, or if they have to use their litter box. That’s because humans love it when we kitties sleep on their laps.

5. Oh, and don’t forget to purr. Humans love that!

Do your kitties like to sit in your lap?

23 Comments on Ruby’s Reflections: The Art of Lap Sitting

1. Bibi
    May 7, 2016 at 3:25 am (3 years ago)

Hi Ruby, this is Bibi from the Netherlands, thank you for the tips! I’m working hard on my technique, I curl up next to my mom and then she puts her arm around me. I have a big pink tongue and I make very sweet noises when I wash myself. I never had kisses in my life, but I’m starting to enjoy them. Mom says I’m adorable. I don’t believe everything she says, but in this case I’m sure she speaks the truth.

May 7, 2016 at 5:56 am (3 years ago)

It sounds like you’re well on your way to having Mom wrapped around your little paws, Bibi!

2. Jobi and Fisher
    May 5, 2013 at 11:21 am (6 years ago)

Ruby, you are a master trainer of the human and I applaud you. At this time, my kitties aren’t lap kitties, so I need to find a way to train them!

3. Bernadette
    May 3, 2013 at 12:30 am (6 years ago)

Ruby, some kitties are just born professionals! We know you make your human very, very happy with your lap-sitting perfection.

Yes, sometimes as many as four of us have piled on our human’s lap, and we just wish her lap could be bigger.

4. Marni Greene
    May 1, 2013 at 10:43 pm (6 years ago)

My big baby boy (18 pounds!) loves to climb across my chest so I put my arm up, kneed my arm and then flip over and insist on being head like a baby (I call it the breastfeeding position). When there he will either groom himself, sleep or sometimes we will just stare at each other.

May 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm (6 years ago)

Those photos are adorable. I have one that only sits in my lap when he wants to be petted. He does purr though. And my oldest sometimes before bed will cuddle on my lap. Otherwise the others are not lap kitties.

6. Tami Amburn
    May 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm (6 years ago)

Very funny….I love the part about the human litter box. Of my 4, 2 are lap cats and the other 2 are occasional lap cats….just need it sometimes.

Ruby is the best!!

May 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm (6 years ago)

She thinks so, Tami!

7. Deborah Julian Cat Art
    May 1, 2013 at 12:57 pm (6 years ago)

You are so right Ruby! I love it when my cats sit in my lap. Such a sweet moment.

May 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm (6 years ago)

It’s the best, isn’t it, Debbie.

8. Debi
    May 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm (6 years ago)

Since my lap cat Cholla died, my kitty Zoe has become a lap cat! Cholla was the dominant cat and would chase Zoe away whenever she got comfy in a spot he wanted. So now he’s gone and she has the choice of anyplace she wants. She usually chooses my lap and I love it!

May 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm (6 years ago)

How nice that Zoe filled the gap Cholla left on your lap, Debi.

9. Anjali
    May 1, 2013 at 12:01 pm (6 years ago)

Love this!! Yes, Luna purrs and drools on my lap, and she licks my hand. Our other cats aren’t really lap cats.

May 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm (6 years ago)

A drooler and a hand licker – that’s wonderful, Anjali!

• Bobbi Hahn
        May 1, 2013 at 5:03 pm (6 years ago)

A drooler and hand-licker in one package – how lucky you are, Anjali! My Annabelle was an accomplished drooler, hand-licker and lap-sitter, and I miss those special times. Mozart is affectionate strictly on her terms, which NEVER include lap-sitting. But she is mellowing in her old age (she’s 18 and has been with me since she was a very young kitten) so at least now she’ll curl up beside me and occasionally she will lick my hair when I’m in bed. So I take whatever I can get! 🙂

Stripes, one of the ferals I care for, is a love bug and purrs like crazy when I’m putting her food down, and she weaves in and out of my legs. She likes when I kiss her on the top of her head and pet her. The love of a feral is a wondrous thing . . .

10. Ann Staub
    May 1, 2013 at 9:12 am (6 years ago)

Awww how adorable! What great tips you gave too !

May 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks, Ann!

11. Sammy
    May 1, 2013 at 7:24 am (6 years ago)

Well done Ruby! Indeed lap sitting and lap napping are “fine arts” and ones I practice and improve upon even after thirteen years of practice…….yep – practice makes purrrrfect. You do look QUITE happy to be in your Mom’s arms. I know that feeling well!!

Kitty Hugs, Sammy

May 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm (6 years ago)

Good to hear that even after 13 years, you’re still practicing the art of lap sitting and napping, Sammy.

12. Caren Gittleman
    May 1, 2013 at 6:21 am (6 years ago)

Cody not only sits on my lap but he has to also scale my body and wrap himself around my neck like a kitty boa! He has done that since he was a kitten, the problem is, he is no longer “kitten-sized!!” lol

May 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm (6 years ago)

A kitty boa – I love it, Caren!

13. Kristina
    May 1, 2013 at 1:55 am (6 years ago)

Aww Ruby, you did a great job explaining the art of lap sitting, and you get an A+ for your pitiful expression look. 🙂 Unfortunately, my kitty isn’t a lap cat, but maybe if I print these instructions and place them at cat eye level by her bed, she’ll soon be come one. Ha! I doubt it; cats do what they want. 🙂 Oh, and Ruby, tell your Mom she has very beautiful hair!

May 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm (6 years ago)

Aww, Ruby and her mom say thank you, Kristina!