Urge Congress to Support the Veterinary Medicine Mobility Act of 2013

cat_at_vet_exam

Current legislation may prevent mobile veterinarians from providing complete care to their patients. The Controlled Substances Act (CSA) makes it illegal for veterinarians to take and use controlled substances outside of the locations where they are registered, often their clinics or homes.

This means that it is illegal for veterinarians to carry and use vital medications for pain management, anesthesia and euthanasia on farms, in house calls, in veterinary mobile clinics, or ambulatory response situations.

As someone who has taken advantage of the service of mobile veterinarians for decades, I can’t sing the praises of the advantages of having your vet come to your home enough – especially for cats. This is why I urge you to support the Veterinary Medicine Mobility Act of 2013.(H.R. 1528), which would amend the CSA that currently prohibits veterinarians from transporting controlled substances to treat their animal patients outside of their registered locations (usually a veterinary clinic, or the mobile veterinarian’s home base).

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), which enforces the law, has informed organized veterinary medicine that without a statutory change, veterinarians are in violation of the CSA and cannot legally provide complete veterinary care. The DEA has already notified some veterinarians in California and Washington State that they are in violation of this law.

When it was time to make the difficult decision to let Buckley and Amber go, my vet came to my home. Both times, it made what is without a doubt the most devastating thing a cat guardian will go through a peaceful experience. Rather than having to stress my cats by transporting them to a clinic, and having them die in the sterile environment of a veterinary exam room, they were able to die in the comfort of their familiar home, in a place that they loved best. I can’t even imagine not having that option in the future.

It only takes a minute to email or call your representative. The American Veterinary Medical Association provides a template for an email or letter on their Legislative Action Center website.

I urge you to help ensure that veterinarians can continue to provide complete care to all of their animal patients in all settings. Please support this bill.

21 Comments on Urge Congress to Support the Veterinary Medicine Mobility Act of 2013

1. Laurie G (Save Samoa)
    April 20, 2013 at 1:23 pm (7 years ago)

Thank you for sharing this important information so we can take action!

2. Ingrid
    April 18, 2013 at 8:52 am (7 years ago)

Thank you to all of you who are contacting your representatives and for sharing this!

3. Amy Sikes
    April 18, 2013 at 8:42 am (7 years ago)

This is appalling. When Casey-cat was failing, I brought her home to have quiet time with her, then the vet came to the house after her clinic closed for the night. I can’t imagine how much worse that day would have been if I couldn’t have had that option! I’ll definitely be contacting my congresscritters!

April 18, 2013 at 8:53 am (7 years ago)

“Congresscritters” – I love it, Amy! I’ve often thought our country would be better off if cats were eligible to run for Congress!

• Amy Sikes
        April 18, 2013 at 10:34 am (7 years ago)

It absolutely would! Unless they start discussing how to make catnip a controlled substance….

4. Raine
    April 18, 2013 at 1:36 am (7 years ago)

I also had no idea about this-thank you for the post-I’ve shared everywhere and I just sent my email to my representative. Thank you again for the information!

5. Julie
    April 17, 2013 at 10:06 pm (7 years ago)

Beyond ridiculous – signed and shared!

6. Cathy Keisha
    April 17, 2013 at 10:05 pm (7 years ago)

Yeah, like Congress will do anything their constituents want. If they won’t protect us by enacting background checks to buy handguns, do we really think they care about animals? Congress is a total waste.

7. Angie
    April 17, 2013 at 7:51 pm (7 years ago)

Just sent mine – I have 2 18 year old cats and this bill would support any end of live care they may need. Thanks to the AMVA!

8. Ally
    April 17, 2013 at 6:33 pm (7 years ago)

Signed.

9. Glogirly and Katie
    April 17, 2013 at 6:19 pm (7 years ago)

We sent a letter to our representative too.
    Thank you SO much for sharing this with us.
    And huge paws up to the AMVA for providing such a well-done template!

April 17, 2013 at 6:18 pm (7 years ago)

I didn’t know this either. I did it. Sure hope it helps.

11. Selina
    April 17, 2013 at 2:01 pm (7 years ago)

Our representative has been written, and I’ve posted this on my hooman’s Facebook page! We’ve also Emailed the link to this page to MANY folks!

This is just ridiculous! I hope our voices can assist in getting this bill passed!

Selina

12. Carolyn Kristof
    April 17, 2013 at 12:17 pm (7 years ago)

Thank you for the info Ingrid, shared this on my Facebook and our UN-Cats Feline Rescue Site. Things get picked up from a Northern Michigan online pet magazine and she posts across much of the state of Michigan!

13. Random Felines
    April 17, 2013 at 11:58 am (7 years ago)

I had NO idea this was an issue. My vet is mobile and she also treated my parents’ dog – including euthanisia at home. I am sending the emails and sharing this. stupid DEA – like they have nothing better to do…..

April 17, 2013 at 1:56 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks for sharing!

14. Bernadette
    April 17, 2013 at 10:32 am (7 years ago)

I had no idea this was illegal! I’ve been working with my house call veterinarian for 19 years, no way they’ll change that for me now.

April 17, 2013 at 1:56 pm (7 years ago)

I didn’t know that, either, Bernadette.

• Deanna Hopkins
      April 18, 2013 at 6:24 pm (7 years ago)

Who made this a law in the first place and why? It’s just plain stupid with all the farms and farm animals we have and folks living in rural areas with pets. We need to overhaul all these alphabet soup agencies and Congress itself. Who do we have running the Show? The Veterinary Medicine Mobility Act of 2013 NEEDS to be passed!

Deanna Hopkins

• Lisa Aumiller
      April 18, 2013 at 6:34 pm (7 years ago)

Its not illegal yet. WE (I am a mobile vet) can legally carry drugs now. IF they pass this they will restrict what meds we can carry. Dr. Lisa Aumiller
      Thanks for helping support mobile vet care!

April 19, 2013 at 6:52 am (7 years ago)

Actually, it is illegal under the current CSA, Dr. Aumiller, and the DEA is beginning enforcement in CA and WA.