Mews and Nips: a cat’s incredible 200 mile journey

Holly_the_cat_200_mile_journey

The story of Holly, a 4-year-old tortoiseshell who in early November became separated from Jacob and Bonnie Richter at an R.V. rally in Daytona Beach, Fla., and appeared on New Year’s Eve — staggering, weak and emaciated — in a backyard about a mile from the Richters’ house in West Palm Beach, almost 200 miles from where she got lost, is most definitely the top story of this week. All the major news outlets, including the New York Times, reported this amazing journey, and scientists find themselves unable to explain how Holly found her way home.

The New York Times article quotes Jackson Galaxy, who also had a cat who made an unexpected comeback: while living in Boulder, Colo., he moved across town, whereupon his indoor cat, Rabbi, fled and appeared 10 days later at the previous house, “walking five miles through an area he had never been before,” Jackson said. ““We haven’t the slightest idea how they do this,” Mr. Galaxy said. “Anybody who says they do is lying, and, if you find it, please God, tell me what it is.”

Holly’s miraculous return is also a testament to the importance of microchipping even indoor cats. Read the full story on the New York Times Blog.

cat_wheelchair_cart

Doug, an orange and white cat who was brought to the Cocalico Cat and the Gingham Dog Animal Hospital in Denver, PA, appeared to have been hit by a car. Doug was paralyzed. Being “the sweetest cat ever,” hospital staff decided that he could live there as a permanent resident. Earlier this month, students at Cocalico High School began work on a cart for Doug, so he doesn’t have to drag himself around the hospital. The cart may not be the most sophisticated cart available, but it works for Doug, and I love that the students poured their effort into helping this cat have a better life. Read the full story on Life with Cats.

Since winter has arrived in many parts of the US in earnest, I thought this video of a cat enjoying the snow was timely. Do your cats go out in the snow?

httpv://youtu.be/UW1j7lzX0dw

Have a great weekend!

Photo sources: photo of Holly screenshot from ABC News video, photo of Doug from the Cocalico Cat and the Gingham Dog Animal Hospital Facebook page

16 Comments on Mews and Nips: a cat’s incredible 200 mile journey

1. Louise
    January 26, 2013 at 7:01 pm (6 years ago)

What an incredible story! Love these positive stories!! Those students were quite inventive! Doug the cat seemed quite happy with his new ‘wheels’! 🙂
    Wouldn’t it be great if more projects like this were assigned in schools to not only help animals, but people as well! There are some incredible inventions to be made by our youth!

January 27, 2013 at 6:17 am (6 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed the stories, Louise.

2. Bopeeps
    January 26, 2013 at 4:47 pm (6 years ago)

Great stories..love them. No snow for us since we live in Florida. I know..don’t rub it in :). But we have to deal with hurricanes. 🙁

Diana, Lucy, lil Rikki

January 27, 2013 at 6:18 am (6 years ago)

This time of year, I always aks myself why we’re not living in Florida, Diana…

3. Maxwell, Faraday & Allie
    January 26, 2013 at 1:05 pm (6 years ago)

What a wonderful project for high school robotics and engineering teams. Wish we could recommend that to schools to consider more often!

January 26, 2013 at 4:06 pm (6 years ago)

Wouldn’t it be awesome if more schools had projects like that one!

4. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    January 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm (6 years ago)

While Holly’s story is amazing, I never doubt the perseverance or intelligence of a cat. How wonderful that those students took care of Doug and I really enjoyed the video. I always enjoy watching a cat revel in the simple pleasures of life with such gusto and abandon!

January 26, 2013 at 4:06 pm (6 years ago)

I agree, Deb, cats are far more intelligent that most people give them credit for. I’d still love to understand more about how they find their way back in these situations. And I’m with you on enjoying watching cats totally life in the moment the way that snow kitty does!

5. Marg
    January 26, 2013 at 11:49 am (6 years ago)

Those are such great stories. Love the one about Doug. He does look happy with his new mode of transportation. That is great that the students did that for him.

January 26, 2013 at 4:05 pm (6 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed the stories, Marg. We all need more happy news, don’t we?

6. Bobbi Hahn
    January 26, 2013 at 9:29 am (6 years ago)

Love these stories, Ingrid! Holly’s amazing journey home is inspiring, but totally believable to me because I had an experience sort of like that. The day after we moved from New Jersey to Ohio, our cat escaped from our new home. Puss Puss was a housecat, never spent time outside, except when she was in heat, and then she was an absolute breakout queen! (She once jumped from a second floor window onto a concrete driveway; I was afraid to look because I thought I’d see her splattered all over the driveway. Instead, I just caught a glimpse of her dashing down the street, off to find the neighborhood toms. Later that warm summer afternoon, she reappeared in the middle of the street with her boyfriend of the moment, fully “engaged” with one another in sight of the entire neighborhood!) Anyway, she got away from our new home in Ohio the day after we moved there; we did all the things people do when searching for a lost animal, but we couldn’t find her. No, she didn’t find her way back to the New Jersey house, but she DID reappear at the Ohio house a few days later. She had never been outside at that house, so we have no idea how she found her way back.

Kudos to the high school students who made the cart for Doug; what a delightful story, and how nice to read about teens doing something so thoughtful and generous for another being. I wept, though, when it was discovered that he hadn’t been hit by a car, but instead had been shot. I sincerely hope there’s a special place in hell for people who do such things.

And the video of the cat in the snow had me laughing out loud!

January 26, 2013 at 4:05 pm (6 years ago)

That was quite an experience you had with Puss Puss, Bobbi! Thank goodness she found her way back.

7. Viki Worden
    January 26, 2013 at 2:22 am (6 years ago)

I know I already responded but I wanted to say that I think that is fantastic that those students helped Doug. It really warmed my heart and made me smile. It is so good to read nice stories about animals instead of the sad ones I read on a daily basis that makes me so overcome with sadness I can’t stand it. If I could travel all around the world just to help these animals we read about I would.

I also wanted to say that I just saw the kitty video of the adorable furby playing in the snow. It made me laugh out loud. I love it when I know animals are happy and being taken care of. I always tell my 3 that I hope they like living with me. It if funny, when I talk to them, which I do a lot, they actually sit there and look at me like they know what I am saying. I wish they did 🙂

January 26, 2013 at 4:04 pm (6 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed the story about Doug and his wheel chair. I agree with you that there are too many sad stories out there already, which is why I try to find the happy ones for our weekly round up.

8. Viki Worden
    January 26, 2013 at 2:16 am (6 years ago)

This is an incredible tale, but I don’t believe it is unbelieveable. I believe that animals have a sense of direction and also they have a keener sense than ours. I know there are animals that get lost, however I think the ones that are able to find their way home are just more determined and have a stronger bond with their parent. I would hope that if any of my 3 cats got lost from home that they would find their way back to me. I don’t let them outside but there is always a chance of anything happening. I did lose a dog once because he lost his sense of direction due to old age. I had let him right outside the house and he always stayed right there. He wandered and in a matter of a couple minutes he was gone. I looked for him for a couple days and then I called the humane society to see if they picked him up. They asked the whereabouts and because of that they found him 2 blocks away from me. I payed them to get him back and they told me I would be surprised at the number of people who say they don’t want to pay the fee and tell them to keep them. How could they do that? Would they do that to their children? As far as I’m concerned my cats are my children, just like my human children are. Anyway, I own both the movies, “The Incredible Journey” and “Homeward Bound”. I love the story and still cry when I watch them.

January 26, 2013 at 4:03 pm (6 years ago)

Thank goodness you got your dog back, Viki!