Mews and Nips: a loyal Italian cat, a miracle reunion, and more

CAT-GIFTS-OWNERS-GRAVE-

Our first story is one of the most touching ones I’ve heard in a long time. The Huffington Post reports that Toldo, a 3-year-old black and white cat living in Montagnana, northern Italy, has been visiting his human, Iozzelli Renzo, who died on September 22, 2011, aged 71, every day for the past year, and leaving small presents at the grave. The gifts usually consist of leaves, sticks, twigs, plastic cups or paper towels. Read the full story about this loyal cat on The Huffington Post.

cat_reunited_with_owners

Patrick Gillett had pretty much given up hope.His cat, Niko, went missing from his Beaverton, Oregon home in July. Gillett said a neighbor saw someone steal his large, white nine-year-old feline companion. He called the police and posted flyers around the neighborhood. Then, after nearly six months, a photograph of a white cat appeared on the shelter’s website. Gillett and Kinsley left for the shelter on Saturday, armed with Niko’s medical records, a picture of the cat and a carrier in hopes she had been found. Unfortunately, Kinsley said, the white cat in the photo was not Niko. But while Kinsley and Gillett were still at the shelter, another couple entered the building carrying a cardboard box. Inside the box was another white cat. And this one, it appeared, was Niko: scared, unhealthy, but alive. Read the full story of this miracle reunion on The Oregonian.

I know Christmas is over, but this video is so adorable, and I thought the gift these cats were given by their humans is so creative, I just had to share it. Enjoy!

httpv://youtu.be/OLXf9BZAc7w

Have a great weekend.

Photo sources: photo of Toldo from The Huffington Post, photo of Niko from The Oregonian.

13 Comments on Mews and Nips: a loyal Italian cat, a miracle reunion, and more

1. L
    January 15, 2013 at 3:43 am (6 years ago)

Lovely video!

2. Bernadette
    January 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm (6 years ago)

I loved the two stories, what a special bond he must have had with Toldo, and too much coincidence with Niko, it was planned by the universe! And the gift of toilet paper, in all the cats I’ve lived with I’ve never had one pay any attention to the TP, I’m sure I’m not doing something right.

January 13, 2013 at 6:09 am (6 years ago)

I never had a toilet paper unroller until I got Allegra, Bernadette. She’s mostly outgrown it, but every once in a while, the urge still takes over.

3. Julia Williams
    January 12, 2013 at 4:15 pm (6 years ago)

That’s an amazing story about the white cat. I don’t believe in coincidences, so I am sure there was a guiding force behind their visit to the shelter.

January 13, 2013 at 6:09 am (6 years ago)

I agree, Julia – that couldn’t have been coincidence.

4. Deb Barnes
    January 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm (6 years ago)

What a touching story regarding Toldo – thank you for sharing. Loved the video and what a great idea. The other day, I heard a noise in one of our bathrooms – our cat Jazz had unrolled an entire roll of toilet paper into the litter box!! That is one tidy cat!

January 12, 2013 at 4:15 pm (6 years ago)

Good going, Jazz!

5. Christine Michaels
    January 12, 2013 at 11:28 am (6 years ago)

I never tire of these stories. They fuel my efforts to write about and rescue cats. The story of Toldo is proof once again of the depth of intelligence and range of emotions cats experience.
    Thank you for sharing this Ingrid.

January 12, 2013 at 4:14 pm (6 years ago)

I’m so glad you’re enjoying the stories, Christine – and thank you for all you do for cats!

6. Texas, a cat in New York
    January 12, 2013 at 10:45 am (6 years ago)

Loved the video! I bet the humans are praying to Ceiling Cat that Kitshka will never discover the existence of toilet paper 😉

The first story, especially, was really touching.

Purrs

January 12, 2013 at 4:14 pm (6 years ago)

It’s probably only a matter of time, Texas…

7. Bobbi Hahn
    January 12, 2013 at 9:02 am (6 years ago)

I’d already seen Toldo’s story, but each time I read it I’m touched all over again. How some people can still say animals have no emotions is beyond me . . .

LOVE the video of the cat’s Christmas present – what a perfect gift!!!

January 12, 2013 at 4:14 pm (6 years ago)

Isn’t the Christmas gift clever, Bobbi?