Mews and Nips: Cats in Commercials

Gracey The Tiniest Tiger

I love stories about cats who change their humans’ lives. Gracey’s mom, Joanne McGonagle, is the author of The Tiniest Tiger and her blog, The Tiniest Tiger’s Conservation Club, often features Gracey, so I knew a little bit about Gracey, but I had never heard the story of how she came into Joanne’s life. Gracey influenced Joanne’s life in a big way. “She was the inspiration behind my book and the catalyst for my career change from specialty food marketing to studying big cats and completing my Master of Zoology degree,” writes Joanne. Read The Power of One Tiny Kitten for the full story.

Juicy-Couture-Cat-Accessories

More and more companies are using cats to advertise their products – and as long as this is done responsibly and cats are neither harmed nor made fun of, I’m all for it. Catsparella reports on Juicy Couture’s holiday accessories campaign, featuring cats modeling rhinestone jewelry and purses. Of course, this advertising approach won’t work all that well on me: I’m not even looking at the products, I’m looking at the cats! Read the full story, and see more photos, on Catsparella.

I found today’s video a little stressful to watch, but the cat seems to have a good time, and the bond between the man and his cat is obvious. What do you think? Cool, or irresponsible?

httpv://youtu.be/hPMYwcSi3eg

Have a great weekend!

Photo sources: photo of Gracey from The Tiniest Tiger Conservation Club, photo of Juicy Couture accessories from Catsparella

10 Comments on Mews and Nips: Cats in Commercials

1. Bernadette
    December 1, 2012 at 11:57 pm (7 years ago)

The bike-riding cat made me a little nervous too. I had a cat who rode around on my shoulders all the time, but I never walked on heavily traveled roads or attempted to ride my bike, and I’m an experienced bicyclist–at the time, that was my only transportation. I hope nothing happens…

2. caren gittleman
    December 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm (7 years ago)

IRRESPONSIBLE!! I didn’t even have to watch it to make my decision. Saw the frozen frame with the kitty on his shoulder. NO WAY!

December 1, 2012 at 5:07 pm (7 years ago)

Caren, that was my first thought. Then I watched the whole thing and saw how bonded the two of them are. But I still lean toward irresponsible, even though the cat seems to have a good time.

3. Julia Williams
    December 1, 2012 at 1:38 pm (7 years ago)

I shuddered watching that video!! Riding on a bike in heavy traffic with a cat on your shoulder …. for me, that is a giganticat NO!!! That is just an accident waiting to happen, with devastating results. What if he suddenly had to slam on his brakes? He’d have a cat projectile, into traffic, onto pavement, with no protection. The cat could be run over instantly, or at the very least suffer broken bones and abrasions from the road. He seems to love his cat, he should keep it at home where it’s safe. He wears a helmet, so obviously he knows that riding a bike comes with dangers and he’s agreed to take the risk. The cat cannot make a decision for itself on whether it wants to take the risk.

December 1, 2012 at 5:06 pm (7 years ago)

I think it’s a no, too, Julia.

4. Deb Barnes
    December 1, 2012 at 10:05 am (7 years ago)

We love Gracey and how much she has inspired Joanne to help all the cats of the world – big and small!

5. Dorothy
    December 1, 2012 at 9:20 am (7 years ago)

As someone whose cats only leave the house wearing a halter/leash or in a closed/latched pet carrier, watching someone ride through Philly with his kitty on his back seems a bit irresponsible. What if a dog started chasing them or people in a car throw something? I know just how awful some motorist are to cyclist, so unless I was riding down my quiet country lane and had some……. No. No, not even then. That cat has no protection. Not even a secure perch. It’s a bad idea. There are just too many things the cyclist can’t control.. The cyclist is wearing a helmet for good reason. So, I don’t care if the cat likes it or not, you don’t leave safety up to animals or children. If it was up to me it wouldn’t happen. I guess I’ve just gotten too old and careful.

December 1, 2012 at 1:24 pm (7 years ago)

I think I’m leaning toward your point of view, Dorothy. My first thought was: that cat needs a helmet!

6. Texas, a cat in New York
    December 1, 2012 at 6:56 am (7 years ago)

My human has a friend in Paris who bikes with his kitty on his shoulder, too. So when I saw this video recently, I immediately thought about them.
    I plan to feature them on my blog soon.
    Honestly, the human is very careful with the kitty and the kitty seems to enjoy the rides. She has been on his shoulder since she was a kitten.

December 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm (7 years ago)

I’ll be interested in reading your human’s piece about this cat and her human, Texas.