Herbal Medicine: A New Option for Treating Feline Hyperthyroidism?

calico tabby cat

Hyperthyroidism is a common disease that typically affects middle-aged and older cats.  It is caused by an excess production of thyroid hormones, which are produced by the thyroid gland, located inside the cat’s neck. Thyroid hormones affect nearly all organs, which is why thyroid disease can sometimes cause secondary problems such as hypertension, heart and kidney disease.

There are currently three treatment options:  lifelong medication, surgery, and the gold standard, radioactive iodine therapy.

There is also a new feline prescription diet on the market that is said to cure feline hyperthyroidism in 3 weeks. The diet has not been available long enough to really know whether it is safe to feed longterm, and it is only effective therapeutically when it’s used as the sole source of nutrition. No treats, no supplements, no table scraps. You can read more about the diet, and my take on it, here.

There may be another option: at a recent meeting of the American Association of Feline Practitioners, Dr. Steve Marsden, one of the chief educators of veterinarians worldwide in complementary veterinary medicine, with board certifications in Chinese herbology, acupuncture, and naturopathic medicine, shared his experience of treating hyperthyroidism with herbal medicine. These medicines may be useful with early cases, as well as during the stabilization phase, and they can easily be integrated into conventional treatment programs. While these herbal formulas are not as powerful as pharmaceutical drugs, they are generally safer and have fewer side effects. At a minimum, they may be able to lower the dose of conventional drugs.

Human trials have shown that Chinese herbal treatments can effectively reduce symptoms, thyroid antibody status and thyroid function in humans with hyperthyroidism.

Herbal medicines may be especially effective in early cases of hyperthyroidism. They may abort or reverse the development of the disease. Interestingly, the formulas that work do not directly impact the thyroid gland, but rather, act on the digestive tract. “Diet and digestion has long been linked epidemiologically to the incidence of feline hyperthryroidism.” said Dr. Marsden. “Although its exact role remains speculative and unclear, the feeding of processed diets (canned foods in particular) correlates strongly with its incidence. Conversely, clinical experience suggests the incidence of hyperthyroidism appears lower in animals that hunt for their food.”

Cats who become hyperthyroid often have a history of chronic vomiting, which would further support the theory that processed diets and the systemic inflammation they cause may play a major role in the development of the disease.

Herbal medicine can also help support renal function in hyperthyroid cats by increasing glomerular filtration and renal concentrating ability. The most well-known formula used for this purpose is the Chinese herbal blend Rehmannia Eight. One study of its use in human medicine showed a 91% efficacy in reducing renal damage.

“Herbal medicine, particularly Chinese herbal medicine, allows the optimal management of hyperthyroid patients and integrates well with conventional therapies,” said Dr. Marsden. “Perhaps one day in the future, it may be relied upon as a primary treatment option.”

If you would like to explore herbal medicine for your cat, you’ll need to work with a holistic veterinarian trained in herbal medicine. Herbs are powerful medicine and should only be given under the direction of a veterinarian. For a state by state directory, please visit the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association.

Photo: morguefile

11 Comments on Herbal Medicine: A New Option for Treating Feline Hyperthyroidism?

1. Melissa
    August 21, 2018 at 2:35 pm (1 year ago)

i’m sorry for the loss of your’ loved one. I am searching for an herbal remedy for my foster who is 16. She was taken off her thyroid meds as she was not eating . looked yellow to me( her ears) and per vet was affecting her kidneys. They gave her nothing else except iv fluids. She is eating but am thinking her thyroid will be out of control again. Thinking about going herbal with her and will check out the Vitality science site you mentioned. Thank you

2. Socorro
    December 1, 2017 at 6:25 pm (2 years ago)

I have a 9 yr old cat just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism was put on methamazole. Dude also carries the herpie virus. He’s been on lysine. Dude has not been stabalized yet w/ his thyroid he’s oba scale of 8. I did his blood work up a few days ago. Liver slightly elevated kidneys are fine but he seems now to be anemic enough to cause some concern. Vet thinks it might be a side effect of the methamaziole. Suggested stopping his medication checking his blood count in 4 or5 days. Too my shock she really can’t tell me what to do only to.say let’s do the iodine. I don’t have that kind of money. I am severly I’ll and I’m on ssi disability. I’m looking for another option for my dear friend and hoping I get some feedback from someone out their who knows more than I do. The thought of puuting my baby down is causing me great pain. Does anybody out there know of someone who could help me for very cheap? Every time I tell my cat” dude come to mamma” he comes running from what ever room he might be in. The thought of me saying that one day and no one comes is devasting. I was diagnosed w/ hyperthyroid also one yr ago and suffer from pulmanary embolisms and if it weren’t for him I wouldn’t of faired so well. So if there’s any oneout there who can help us we really would appreciate it

• Ren
      July 17, 2018 at 11:45 am (1 year ago)

My cat just died from hyperthyroidism. he was 14.5 yrs. Gave him herbal “thyroid support gold” on petwellbeing.com instead of the conventional medicine. He lived 2.5 years more with this herbal. It helped to control his symptoms well, but the root cause was autoimmunity caused by a stale, expired rabies vaccine given by an incompetent vet in 2015. In a few months after that is when he became hyperthyroid. Before he was a gorgeous 18lb. Maine coon. If you take a car off meds. natural or conventional, their symptoms will be much worse than before starting. Have to gradually reduce. Try Vitalityscience.com their Immune Defense pac. And find out the root cause of it.

3. Barb
    November 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm (7 years ago)

Thank you so much – I will try to contact both of them!

I think we have a good chance of addressing this disease using herbs since we are in an early stage.

All the best and thanks for caring enough to share the information – I am sure it will benefit many others as well!

4. Barb
    November 6, 2012 at 8:47 pm (7 years ago)

I have been searching for a vet who has successfully treated early stage hyperthyroidsm in a cat. I have a 7yr old with high free t4 but normal t4. I switched all the cats from wellness canned to natures variety organic raw chicken and am trying resythro,l-carnitine and coq10. But most so called holistic vets just say there is no alternative to i-131 or tapezole. I am looking for a vet with proven results as we are in the early stage of this disease. I live in southern california. Any referrals would be appreciated!!!!!

5. Cathy Keisha
    November 5, 2012 at 9:06 pm (7 years ago)

TW is a slave to Chinese herbs and acupuncture. I’m glad cats now have that same option.

November 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm (7 years ago)

I worked with a veterinarian who used acupuncture and Chinese herbs for several years, and the results she got were nothing short of miraculous at times, Cathy. I’ve also used both modalities for myself with good results.

6. Texas, a cat in New York
    November 5, 2012 at 8:48 am (7 years ago)

That’s an interesting development to follow.
    Thanks for the info.
    Purrs

November 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm (7 years ago)

I’ll definitely update as I get more information about it, Texas.