Conscious Cat Sunday: playing hooky

cat_relaxing_on_back

Ruby wants to know: when was the last time you played hooky?

There’s a reason it’s called a mental-health day. Studies show that taking time off, even if it’s just for a few hours, relieves stress, lowers blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart disease.

Clearly, Ferris Bueller was right all those years ago: we all need a break now and then. Whether it’s catching up on some much needed rest, doing something fun to recharge our batteries, or just hanging out with our cats, sometimes, you just have to blow off work.

This can be challenging for those of us who are self-employed, especially if we love what we do. For most of us, weekends are just another work day. I’m guilty of not taking enough time off. I love writing, blogging, and everything that comes with it. It rarely feels like work to me, and as a result, I often find myself shortchanging other aspects of my life.

So today, I’m taking my own, and Ruby’s, advice, and I’m playing hooky.

When was the last time you played hooky? Share your stories in a comment.

16 Comments on Conscious Cat Sunday: playing hooky

1. Viki Worden
    September 2, 2012 at 9:34 pm (7 years ago)

I don’t think I have played hookie in quite a while. I usually have personal time or sick time on the books to take a day. The last time was probably back in the 80’s. I had to work every Saturday and once in a while I would call in just to spend time with my family during a get together or something like that. That was basically the only time I wasn’t at work. I hardly ever got sick or anything. Now a days I play hookie with my furry kids on a Saturday and just hang out with them instead of doing my cleaning, lol. My furry kids, Meeko, Cisco and Princess always play hookie, lol. They are a spoiled bunch!

September 3, 2012 at 6:51 am (7 years ago)

I’m glad your furry kids are “forcing” you to play hooky with them, Viki!

2. Savannah NanaMo
    September 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm (7 years ago)

Mom played hooky last two days…that’s why I am so late visiting everybody! No one will ever visit me again if she keeps this slackard behavior up! Paw pats, Savannah

September 3, 2012 at 6:50 am (7 years ago)

Good for your Mom, Savannah – but I’m glad you’re still visiting!

3. Esme
    September 2, 2012 at 3:43 pm (7 years ago)

In April-my husband sent me to France-he said that the work would still be there and a break was more important. He was right. Enjoy your Sunday. Kiss the babies. My chitties say hello as they are all snuggled into their kitty condo.

September 3, 2012 at 6:50 am (7 years ago)

What a wonderful husband you have, Esme!

4. Nancy March
    September 2, 2012 at 11:55 am (7 years ago)

read,or watch movies and my cat snuggling in my lap

September 3, 2012 at 6:49 am (7 years ago)

Sounds like a purrfect Sunday to me, Nancy.

5. Vicki Cook
    September 2, 2012 at 10:37 am (7 years ago)

I find that I can only go so long without unplugging. I took a couple weeks off in August – not from everything, but by just removing one thing it felt like a nice break. Any break in the routine helps refresh the mind and spirit. Enjoy your day off!

September 3, 2012 at 6:49 am (7 years ago)

Sometimes, even just changing one thing can make a big difference, Vicki.

6. Caren Gittleman
    September 2, 2012 at 9:54 am (7 years ago)

like you, when you work from home you are working 7 days a week and much longer than 8 hour days.
    The most I play hooky is “unplugging” a bit during the night on weekends and occasionally during the week

September 3, 2012 at 6:48 am (7 years ago)

I did unplug for most of yesterday, Caren, and it was definitely a great way to recharge – which tickles my funny bone. Recharging by unplugging!

September 3, 2012 at 6:47 am (7 years ago)

Most humans do, Texas. Yet another reason why cats are smarter…

7. Marg
    September 2, 2012 at 7:47 am (7 years ago)

Are you kidding, our Mom plays hookey all the time. She loves to go outside and read her book. Now, all of us cats play hookey all day long.We don’t have many chores so we get lots of chances to play hookey. Good subject. Take care.

September 3, 2012 at 6:47 am (7 years ago)

I’m glad all of you get lots of chances to play hooky, Marg!