Mews and Nips: Obesity in Cats is No Joke

morbidly_obese_cat

Morbidly obese cats have been making the news lately, and I can’t decide whether this is a good thing because it brings much-needed attention to the fact that more than half of this country’s cats are overweight, or whether it perpetuates the “fat cats are funny” stereotype.

Garfield, the most recent heavy kitty in the limelight, was surrendered to North Shore Animal League after his owner died. Garfield, who weighs in at almost 40 pounds, appears relatively healthy, but needs to lose about 20 pounds. “People often think that an obese animal is not in physical danger, but nothing could be further from the truth,” said the shelter’s vice president, Dr. Mark Verdino. Read the full story in The Daily Mail.

cat_hospice_program

I am happy to see that hospice care for cats is becoming more and more accepted. Cat Chat with Caren and Cody reported on a veterinary hospital in Michigan which started the state’s first hospice program for cats. The program at The Cat Practice in Birmingham, MI offers end-of-life care modeled after human hospice that alleviates physical discomfort and provides a caring end-of-life experience for the cat and her family. Like human hospice, The Cat Practice hospice is for families whose pets face an incurable condition, but can still enjoy quality of life. Read the full story about this wonderful program on Cat Chat.

26_year_old_cat

There’s something about old kitties that touches my heart. Maybe it’s the wisdom in those old eyes, or the admiration for how gracefully cats age. Love Meow featured a 26-year-old cat named Trouble this week. According to Love Meow, the shelter named him Trouble because they had a hard time finding a home for him. Trouble loves to drink from the faucet and the bathtub, and his human speculates that maybe the fresh water helped keep him healthy for all these years. Read the full story on Love Meow.

Who needs a dishwasher when you have the kitty in today’s video to help with kitchen chores!

httpv://youtu.be/7HpEKwvjqrs

Have a great weekend!

Photo sources: photo of Garfield from Mailonline.com, photo of Rocky and Purrdy from CatChat, photo of Trouble from Love Meow

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 11)
You can nominate once a day, every day through June 29

9 Comments on Mews and Nips: Obesity in Cats is No Joke

1. Esme
    June 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm (7 years ago)

will this cat teach my husband how to dishes.

2. catherine turley
    June 9, 2012 at 5:13 pm (7 years ago)

puffy paws kitty haven is a cat hospice, which is one of the reasons i support them.

3. Caren Gittleman
    June 9, 2012 at 4:30 pm (7 years ago)

thank you for sharing the Cat Practice’s most important venture!!

I am praying that this time the obese kitty has a much better fate than the previous overweight cat

June 15, 2012 at 8:13 pm (7 years ago)

My pleasure, Caren – it’s a great program.

4. Layla Morgan Wilde
    June 9, 2012 at 1:04 pm (7 years ago)

I don’t know how I missed Caren’s hospice article. Thanks posting it and for visiting us today at our Caturday News & Mews.

5. Dobson
    June 9, 2012 at 10:53 am (7 years ago)

I suspect that cats get fat the same way that humans get fat: inactivity. Case in point: my friends with indoor cats have fat cats, and friends with outdoor cats have slimmer cats. That said, like humans, some cats may be prone to obesity.

June 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm (7 years ago)

Lack of exercise is certainly one reason why indoor cats can become overweight more easily than their outdoor counterparts – and it’s something that’s so easily rectified. Regular play sessions with interactive toys provide exercise for the cat, and they’re good for the human, too. It’s hard not to smile when you’re playing with your cats!

6. Deb Barnes - Zee and
    June 9, 2012 at 9:32 am (7 years ago)

I am the last one to judge someone, but you really have to wonder how a cat can become that obese. I’m sure it is not done intentionally, as we tend to associate feeding our pets with love, but I hope Garfield will be okay.

Thank you for sharing the hospice article from Cat Chat and the video was so cute – that cat might have some Bengal in it!!

June 9, 2012 at 9:45 am (7 years ago)

It is hard not to judge in these situations, Deb, and I’m sure it’s never done intentionally. But it’s also why I mentioned being concerned about the “fat cats are funny” stereotype – far too many people still think so, and don’t realize how dangerous obesity is for cats.

I agree, the dishwashing kitty definitely looks like she might have some Bengal in her!