Cats are self-cleaning, as Allegra demonstrates in this photo. Unfortunately, our houses aren’t, so we have to use cleaning products to get the job done. Many commercial cleaning products are not safe to use around cats. The chemicals in these products can be extremely toxic, and even deadly. Cats are especially susceptible since they groom themselves by licking and as a result ingest anything that comes in contact with their feet or fur.
Some of my favorite cleaners, and also the safest and least expensive, are baking soda and white distilled vinegar. Some suggestions for use are:
- Pour a layer in the litterbox before adding fresh litter to quell odors.
- Add 1/2 cup to the laundry to freshen pet bedding.
- Use as an abrasive cleaner for sinks, bowls, and non-porous surfaces.
White Distilled Vinegar:
- Use to disinfect feeding dishes, the litterbox, and non-porous toys.
- Add 1 cup to the wash cycle to freshen and soften pet bedding.
- Apply a diluted solution (one part vinegar and one part water) to help remove the appearance and odor of urine stains from carpets.
- Baking soda and white vinegar combined make a great non-toxic drain cleaner – pour some baking soda down the drain, follow with a cup or so of vinegar. The mixture will foam, and the foaming action will clear your drain. Repeat if necessary. For tough drains, follow with hot water.
Do you have a favorite green cleaning product? Share it in a comment.