Mood music for cats

soothing-music-for-cats

Playing soft music has been shown to reduce stress in humans and animals alike. Some feline behaviorists say that playing relaxing music can keep cats calm and even stop them from fighting with other cats in the same household. A recent study at Colorado State University is looking at how classical music can help make a veterinary visit less stressful and thus lead to better veterinary care for cats.

I recently came across a cd made especially for cats. Mood Music For Cats (And Cat Lovers) –  A Ball of Twine… Your Cat’s First CD is a collection of soothing tunes blending piano, harp and strings, with title tracks such as Tuna Sonata, Vet Visit Blues, and Catatonia.

The music is truly beautiful. In a completely unscientific study conducted in my own home, it had a relaxing effect not just on me, but on Allegra and Ruby as well. I almost fell asleep after listening to the soothing sounds for a little while, the girls were both zonked out after the first two tracks. (In the interest of full disclosure, I played this during what is usually their nap time.)

Does your cat respond to music?

9 Comments on Mood music for cats

1. Linda
    December 23, 2011 at 9:40 pm (8 years ago)

I think I’ll put this on my to do list.

2. Chris Davis
    December 22, 2011 at 4:18 pm (8 years ago)

What beautiful music – will definitely put this on the Need to Buy List!

3. Susan Mullen
    December 22, 2011 at 2:20 pm (8 years ago)

One kind of music that at least some cats *love* is traditional Hawaiian music. I recommend starting with the CS “Facing Future” by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole.

One kind that I know a lot of cats hate is screechy soprano opera music — don’t even bother!

4. Layla Morgan Wilde (Cat Wisdom 101
    December 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm (8 years ago)

This makes perfect sense. Cats have such a highly developed sense of hearing, my only caveat is playing music at deafening levels. Can you imagine how stimulating heavy metal at full blast would be? Our guys like repetitive, drumming and chanting.

December 22, 2011 at 12:27 pm (8 years ago)

That’s very true, Layla. I like heavy metal, but only play it in the car, although I do know of at least one tortie who actually loves metal.

5. caren gittleman
    December 22, 2011 at 10:52 am (8 years ago)

what an interesting idea!!! I love it for cats that might have more issues…as far as my Cody goes…if he gets any more “relaxed” he would NEVER MOVE!!! lol

He’s a pretty laid back guy….it’s MOM who needs the music!!

xoxoxo

December 22, 2011 at 12:25 pm (8 years ago)

Caren, I think you might find this cd very helpful 😉

6. Anna
    December 22, 2011 at 10:06 am (8 years ago)

How interesting! Well, it makes sense… if music can have soothing effects on humans, why not on cats?