Foster a lonely cat for the holidays

foster-a-lonely-pet-for-the-holidays

Our cats will spend the holidays surrounded by those who love them, in a warm home, with full tummies and plenty of toys. That’s quite a contrast to how shelter cats will spend their holidays. For them, they’re not going to be any different from any other day spent waiting for that one human who will rescue them and give them a forever home.

Since everyone deserves a home for the holidays, Petfinder.com is launching its annual Foster A Lonely Pet For The Holidays program for the third year in a row. The program’s goal is to  empty out animal shelters from Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day.

“Many people do not realize just how important fostering is among the animal welfare community,” said Betsy Banks Saul, the co-founder of Petfinder.com. “Animal shelters across North America have to euthanize adoptable pets simply because they are overcrowded. However, by fostering, people can give pets a place to stay while they wait for their forever home.”

The goal of the program is to spread awareness about fostering and find temporary homes for adoptable pets while giving shelter workers and volunteers a much-needed break.

If you can foster a shelter cat for the holidays, you can find a list of participating shelters and rescue groups at http://www.petfinder.com/info/foster-a-lonely-pet-2011. Staff and volunteers at each organization will be available to answer questions about the fostering process and help select a pet who will be a good match for the foster family’s lifestyle.

First created in 2009, the Foster A Lonely Pet For The Holidays program was inspired by Greg Kincaid’s book and movie, A Dog Named Christmas, about a young man who sets out to convince his community to participate in a local animal shelter’s inaugural “Adopt a Dog for Christmas Program.”

7 Comments on Foster a lonely cat for the holidays

1. caren gittleman
    December 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm (8 years ago)

I think this is a fabulous idea but I am with you Ingrid. I would have a hard time giving them up period.

I was at Kitty City yesterday taking a tour and had cats crawling all over me….there were 11 kitties there…it was so hard to leave, I wanted them ALL and that was just after spending a few hours there!

December 9, 2011 at 7:34 am (8 years ago)

I just read your post about Kitty City – what an amazing place!

2. Max the Quilt Cat
    December 8, 2011 at 12:59 pm (8 years ago)

It’s good to know about that petfinder program for the holidays. I’ll go check that out.

Oh… the NEKO flies came today. The boys are inside out with excitement…. Thanks so much for having that giveaway.

pawhugs, Max

December 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm (8 years ago)

I’m so glad the boys love their Neko Flies!

3. Marg
    December 8, 2011 at 7:26 am (8 years ago)

This is such a good idea and how wonderful for the poor shelter animals. I have been thinking about doing it. It will be hard to make them go back to the shelter, but they would be happy for a week anyway.
    Thanks for telling us about this. I was actually contacted by a rescue around here.

December 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm (8 years ago)

I think it would be hard to take a foster back to the shelter, Marg. I have so much respect for people who foster – even letting them go to a good home would be hard once you get emotionally attached.

• Jody Gunia
        December 15, 2011 at 7:30 am (8 years ago)

Please don’t let it stop you from trying though. Take that animal home for Christmas and give it the love and attention it so desperately deserves and needs and yes…it will be hard to take it back but~it will be hard on us, not them. They are and have already been living the “hard time” so I think we should be tough enough to do it for THEM. Hmmm, if someone cannot bare to part with that animal after the holidays then right there is a double blessing<3