Jack the Cat is gone

American Airlines Jack the cat has been found

Jack the cat, who had been missing for eight weeks after escaping his crate in the American Airlines baggage area at JFK Airport at the end of August, and was found on October 26, when he fell through the ceiling of the customs room at the airport, is gone.

Here is the complete announcement from Mary Beth Melchior, Karen Pascoe’s sister, posted on Jack the Cat’s Facebook page earlier this evening:

“Dear Friends of Jack:

It is with tears that I must tell you that Jack has gone over the rainbow bridge.

He was with Karen yesterday, and his condition was worsening. He was treated overnight, and she (and I) both had extensive conversations with the vets at Blue Pearl regarding his condition. Jack had extensive wounds on the back of his body, and the wounds were unable to heal because his skin had deteriorated due to the malnutrition that occurred while he was lost. Despite antibiotics, the infections were worsening, and his skin was continuing to deteriorate. He needed surgery to treat the wounds, but there was not enough available skin to close the wounds after the surgery. The vet compared his skin condition to having severe burns over 50-60% of his body. The vet was very clear that she had conferred with every possible doctor regarding options for Jack, but none of them left him with a substantial chance of survival and all of them involved him suffering.

Jack had been through so much, and the last thing anyone wanted was for him to suffer more. Jack was bathed in love and crossed over just a few minutes ago.

We thank everyone who has gone on this journey with us. We have been introduced to people we have come to not only respect, but love. We will continue our work on this page… and will also be starting a dedicated website in Jack’s honor. We want people to understand the risks that attend putting an animal in cargo, and we hope to spur change in the industry so that no one else ever has to go through this again. We honor Jack, we honor all the other animals who have been killed, injured, or lost while being transported through cargo procedures, and we honor all of you who have taken the time to share your kindness and love with us.

Finally, we ask that if you are from the media and want to do a follow-up on this story, please contact Joanne Lynch with Blue Pearl at 815-549-7688. She will coordinate all your calls and help you get in touch with Karen. PLEASE do not call Karen or Mary Beth directly.

Thanks to all of you for your love & kindness. We still have 2 cats to transport… and a message to send to all the airlines and the government that is time to make sure all of our pets are safe when they travel. I’ll be back on this page tomorrow… blessings to all!! RIP, Jack… we’ll all see you soon.”

My heart is breaking. I cannot even begin to imagine what Karen Pascoe is going through right now. Losing a cat is never easy, but to lose a cat under these horrific circumstances is simply unimaginable.

Rest in piece, sweet Jack.

Karen and her family are in my thoughts and prayers.

12 Comments on Jack the Cat is gone

1. Pam
    November 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm (8 years ago)

Ugh, this makes me so sad. I was so happy when he was found, but it all was obviously too much time without proper food and care for Jack.

I am so sorry, Karen, for your loss … it’s kind of like a double loss, since he was lost before, too.

2. ann dziemianowicz
    November 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm (8 years ago)

I was so sad to hear this news about Jack. I was hoping he would pull through. It seemed he was getting better. I’m glad he was with his owner when he passed away and not alone in the airport. Purrs for Jack.

3. Joe P.
    November 7, 2011 at 7:45 am (8 years ago)

It is very sad for me personally to hear about Jack 🙁 :-(. I hope that Karen fnds comfort in the fact that Jack is now safe at the Rainbow Bridge and they will be re-united again 🙂 :-), as all of us will with our beloved pets!! As for the airlines they need to protect our animals when traveling, but, I worked for an airline that didn’t look at that as a priority!! Well, they are the airlines responsibility. I’d never take a pet of mine on an airline, unless it went with me inside the plane. I fee as though Karen should be financialy compensated, even though it won’t bring back her cat Jack. Remember, Karen were all with you in your suffering!!

• Esme
      November 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm (8 years ago)

I think AA should make a substantial donation to an animal foundation of Karen’s choosing.

4. michelle,"BART" and "GEORGIE"
    November 7, 2011 at 7:34 am (8 years ago)

RIP sweet Jack. so glad you were able to go home and not lost forever- you put up a tough fight.

5. Esme
    November 6, 2011 at 10:18 pm (8 years ago)

My heart is broken. Poor Jack and Karen. I hope you were in peace.

6. Shadie Kaye's Mom
    November 6, 2011 at 9:57 pm (8 years ago)

There are no words only pain and tears. For Jack’s furmily a hole ripped the size of the Mississippi River down the middle of their hearts.

Fly high sweet Jack … RIP

nudges and purrs,
    Shadie Kaye, de fursibz and Meowmie

7. Andrea H.
    November 6, 2011 at 10:33 pm (8 years ago)

So sorry to hear about this loss – I send much comfort to Karen during this difficult time, and wish Jack a safe journey onwards. May there be comfort drawn from the fact that he was home, and he was loved, when he passed.

8. Britta
    November 6, 2011 at 8:16 pm (8 years ago)

So sad. RIP Jack. Words just can’t express how hard it is when your pet goes and the emotions that you feel at the time. Thinking of Jacks family.

9. Rachel (Harry's daughter)
    November 6, 2011 at 8:02 pm (8 years ago)

I was so sadened to hear about Jack’s passing. What a horrible end to an unbelievable rescue. I’m glad though that they found Jack so that Karen didn’t have to wonder what became of him. RIP Jack.

10. aledra
    November 6, 2011 at 7:52 pm (8 years ago)

My heart goes out to Karen…but also to all of us Jack lovers… I cried so hard at this news…peace now Jack, peace.Most of us has had fur babies to go over the Rainbow Bridge…and Jack will not be alone, our love will be transcended thru our fuzzy loves to Jack.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Jack the Cat is gone

1. […] reported the sad news Sunday night that Jack the Cat died after being lost at JFK Airport for more than two months and fighting for his life for the past […]