Many of us are woken by our cats each day, begging to be fed. I happen to think that’s a great way to start the day, but I’m an early bird. While you may not be able to stop a hungry cat from waking you, you can control other aspects of how you start off your day – after you feed the cats, of course!
What you do first thing in the morning can have a profound influence on the rest of your day. Start things off right by consciously choosing positive rituals. And you don’t have to take a lot of time to do it.
Here are some suggestions for starting the day off right:
- Think about five things you’re grateful for. Gratitude is a powerful force. It can shift your mood and your thoughts from a place of scarcity to a place of abundance and joy. Gratitude is about being in the present moment, and appreciating what’s around you.
- Meditate. Ideally, you should spend 15-20 minutes, but even a 5 minute mini-meditation can set the tone for a day that will be less rushed, more focused, and more peaceful.
- Enjoy your first cup of coffee or tea of the day without multi-tasking. This is my favorite part of the morning. After I feed Allegra and Ruby, I take my freshly brewed cup of coffee to my favorite spot in my living room and enjoy it while I look out the window. I let my thoughts drift to wherever they want to go. Some days, Allegra and Ruby will join me, other days, they’re busy doing their own thing. Either way, it’s a great way to start the day.
- Think about how you can brighten someone’s day, or how you can pay something someone else did for you forward.
- Open the windows. I am a big fan of fresh air. No matter how hot, or how cold it is outside, I like to let some fresh air in first thing in the morning. It’s a symbolic clearing of the energy of sleep and rest, and welcoming in the energy of activity and light.
For more suggestions on how to start your day off right, read Start Your Day in 33 Different Ways.
Do you have any favorite rituals that help you start your day off right?