Mews and Nips: Tortie Cat Helps Woman Through Chemotherapy

George missing from Air Canada flight

Our weekly news round up starts out with another story of a cat who was lost at an airport. George went missing from an Air Canada plane’s cargo hold during a stopover in Edmonton on September 23. The airline says there was a part missing from George’s carrier, which enabled him to escape, and reports that a baggage handler managed to catch George and return him to his carrier, but that he escaped again when being moved from the gate to the baggage room. Read the full story about what happened to George on Live with Cats.

Jack the Cat who was lost at JFK Airport in New York City six weeks ago is still missing. Acccording to a recent update on Jack’s Facebook page, several people have called reporting that they saw a cat who looked like Jack, but none of these cats turned out to be Jack.

cat eating bowl

In health news, Hill’s Pet Nutrition recently released a new diet for hyperthyroid cats. Reactions from veterinarians appear to be mixed, and are most likely divided along the lines of veterinarians who recommend Hill’s diets in general, and those who don’t.

Dr. Jean Hofve, a holistic veterinarian, writes in her Little Big Cat Newsletter “While Hill’s admits that there is no scientific evidence that excess iodine causes hyperthyroidism in cats (in fact, their staff veterinarian stated that if iodine were actually the problem, every cat would be hyperthyroid), they nevertheless claim that this diet, fed exclusively, will normalize a cat’s thyroid levels in 3 weeks.”

Like Dr. Hofve, I’m concerned about the ingredients in this diet, especially the dry form. Cat parents who feed a species appropriate diets high in quality meat protein and free of grains and carbs will face a difficult decision if their cats are ever diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. If feeding this diet means you can avoid  medication or radioactive iodine therapy for your cat, would it be worth compromising on the ingredients?

Prudence the cat helps woman with chemotherapy

The heartwarming story of the week comes to us from Marquette, IL. Prudence, an adopted tortie, is providing companionship to a young woman undergoing chemotherapy for a brain tumor. Prudence is helping Mandy Stewart, 25, through it all. “I ended up falling in love with her,” Stewart said. “I don’t know much about her other than she was dumped at TAPS (Tazewell Animal Protective Society) with some kittens. She’s mine now and I love her.” Read the full story in The Pekin Daily Times.

Today’s video is a little different from our usual fare. Even though we’re usually a dog-free zone, and this video has a few dogs in it (in addition to a lot of cats!), it’s just so wonderful, I couldn’t resist sharing it with you. I gurantee you, you will smile a lot, you will cry a little, and you will walk away happy.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNonQIFiuhs

Have a great weekend!

Photo sources: photo of George from Life with Cats, photo of cat eating morguefile.com, photo of Prudence from pekintimes.com

13 Comments on Mews and Nips: Tortie Cat Helps Woman Through Chemotherapy

1. Amy Sikes
    October 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm (8 years ago)

The video is brilliant! Unfortunately, the copyright holder of the song (who apparently isn’t actually ABBA) forced the Wake SPCA to pull it down as “copyright infringement”. 🙁 They’re trying to get that reversed, though, so maybe it can be reinstated. Such a shame to have all that hard work for a NON-profit get ruined.

October 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm (8 years ago)

Oh no, I didn’t know that, Amy – but I have to admit, I wondered about that.

• Amy Sikes
        October 11, 2011 at 4:55 pm (8 years ago)

Well, some people have stated that non-profits actually can use songs, etc, though I have no idea about that! I do think it’s stupid, though – I, for one, had forgotten that I actually LIKE ABBA. That video could have started a whole ABBA resurgence!

2. Esme
    October 8, 2011 at 4:14 pm (8 years ago)

I would never place my pet in cargo. I have heard too many horror stories like this one. Think about how many times luggage has gone missing- I hope George and Jack are found.

October 8, 2011 at 5:49 pm (8 years ago)

I can’t imagine what George and Jack’s owner are going through, Esme. I, too, hope they’ll be found soon.

3. Sally
    October 8, 2011 at 11:37 am (8 years ago)

Love the video!
    Very fortunately, Tekla was shipped via Alaska Air from Washington State to Boston, and arrived without a whisker out of place. That was eight years ago. I don’t know if they take extra care or if we were lucky.

October 8, 2011 at 5:49 pm (8 years ago)

I’m glad you didn’t have any problems, Sally.

4. Layla Morgan Wilde
    October 8, 2011 at 10:13 am (8 years ago)

One of the reasons I love your news and nips is finding something I hadn’t heard of like the missing Canadian cat. Thirty years ago, I flew two cats from Montreal to Toronto on Air Canada in cargo. I won’t get into the details but I boycotted Air Canada for many years and I would never fly cats in cargo again.

October 8, 2011 at 5:49 pm (8 years ago)

I would never fly a cat in cargo either, Layla. I don’t even think I’d fly with cats, period – these days, even flying with a cat in the cabin is risky, since you have to take them out of the carrier to go through security.

5. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    October 8, 2011 at 9:43 am (8 years ago)

I love the story of Prudence and Mandy – the power of a human-feline bond can never be underestimated. What a great video too – that facility looks wonderful!

October 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm (8 years ago)

I agree, Deb, the human-feline bond is powerful.

October 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Angie. Isn’t the video wonderful?