Mews and Nips from around the internet September 10, 2011

cat in a cage

Today’s edition of Mews and Nips begins with some information on how you can help the animals affected by the wildfires in Texas. Live with Cats reports that a potential disaster was averted when the Bastrop, TX wildfire prompted an emergency overnight evacuation of the Bastrop Shelter. All 160 dogs and cats were evacuated safely. The cats are now at the Austin Humane Society and the dogs are at Austin Pets Alive! Both organizations are looking for foster caregivers, as well as supplies and funds to help care for the displaced Bastrop animals.

cat allergies

The San Francisco Chronicle reported on a new vaccine that can help reduce cat allergies in humans. The goal is to alter (and lessen) a person’s overall immune response to the protein in cat’s saliva that is the cause of the allergic reaction. Instead of many months of weekly shots, researchers are planning once-a-month treatments over a period of just a few months. Until the vaccine becomes available, you may find tips on how to manage your allergies without giving up your cat in my recent article Living With Cat Allergies, and Cats.

Hope Al Chernoff Rescue Ink

When I was at BlogPaws, I had the pleasure of hearing Joe Panz and Big Ant of Rescue Ink deliver an incredibly moving and inspirational keynote address. This week, CattooDesign featured Rescue Inc. member Al Chernoff. Al talks about his work with Resuce Ink, and about his own cats, and, of course, showcases his amazing tattoos.

And Mews and Nips wouldn’t be complete without a cat video. I think most of us can relate to the new Simon’s Cat video “Cat and Mouse:”

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWIPZvwcnX8

Have a great weekend!

Image sources: photo of cat from Bastrop shelter from Live with Cats, photo of girl with cat from SFGate, photo of Al Chernoff with his cat Hope from CattooDesign.

8 Comments on Mews and Nips from around the internet September 10, 2011

1. Julia Williams
    September 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm (8 years ago)

I have a lot of cat related “favorite things,” but Simon’s Cat videos are certainly in the top five. They crack me up!! Simon Toffield clearly knows and loves cats!!

I hope you can come read Rocky and Annabelle’s Gotcha Day tale.

September 10, 2011 at 7:11 pm (8 years ago)

Simon does know cats, Julia, that’s for sure. I’ll be catching up on my blog reading after the weekend, and I’ll be sure to read Rocky and Annabelle’s tale!

2. Layla Morgan Wilde
    September 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm (8 years ago)

Great round-up. No matter how plugged we think we are, they’re always another valuable cat-related nugget.

September 10, 2011 at 7:11 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Layla.

3. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    September 10, 2011 at 12:33 pm (8 years ago)

So happy to hear they are developing more ways to help people that are allergic to cats. So many people either think they can’t have a cat, or give them away too quickly without researching options that are available to manage the symptoms!

I agree with Connie – there is not a single Simon video that is NOT a copycat of the goings on im my house!!

September 10, 2011 at 7:10 pm (8 years ago)

The new vaccine certainly sounds promising, Deb, but in the meantime, thankfully there are lots of other alternatives to giving up the cat.

4. Connie
    September 10, 2011 at 10:00 am (8 years ago)

Simon needs to get his camera OUT of my house now.. this is getting a little scary… 🙂 I swear every single one of his videos has happened.. not to mention while I was watching it my cat who does that came up and did that..

September 10, 2011 at 7:09 pm (8 years ago)

I think most of us recognize ourselves in this one, Connie!