Cats With Jobs

Bodge cats New York City

Here in the United States, we’re celebrating Labor Day today, so this post is dedicated to all the working cats out there.

I’ve had a number of working cats in my life. Virginia was my first office cat at the animal hospital I managed, followed, of course, by Buckley, as those of you who read my book know. Amber wasn’t so much a working cat as she was the inspiration behind The Conscious Cat, although who’s to say being a writer’s mewse is not hard work. Allegra and Ruby contribute to this site with their own columns, Allegra’s World and Ruby’s Reflections. They’re also designated product testers.

Cats hold any number of jobs. There are store cats, office cats, clinic cats, and nursing home cats. I love visiting stores or offices who have a resident cat. I think having a cat on the premises completely changes the energy of a business.

If you’re not sure what type of work your cat would excel at, you may want to consult Ann Dziemianovic’s Careers for Your Cat. With the help of this charming book, your cat can find his dream job! He can take the Meowers-Briggs Career/ Personality Test, specially designed for your cat. You never know what hidden job talents your feline might be harboring when you think all he’s doing is sleeping the day away.

Some of the hardest working cats are the bodega cats in New York City. In a recent New York Times article, readers from 10 New York City neighborhoods submitted photos of their bodega cats. Flying under the radar of New York’s health codes, which prohibits live animals in establishments that sell food, these mousers are the original urban predator, as depicted in the video below:

httpv://youtu.be/ZHVL3z6PXe4

Happy Labor Day! If you have a working cat, please share your story!

Photo credit: New York Times: Cats at the Bodega, Just Doing Their Job

You may also enjoy reading:

Book review: Careers for Your Cat by Ann Dziemianonvic

The Gallery Cat

13 Comments on Cats With Jobs

1. Debbie
    September 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm (8 years ago)

All of our kitties are working cats… we live on a farm and they keep any errant mice and nasty flies out of the house. Believe me, it’s a win-win situation!

🙂 Lord have mercy on the working cats!

2. ann dziemianowicz
    September 5, 2011 at 6:09 pm (8 years ago)

Ingrid, Thank you so much for including my book in your write up of working cats! I am flattered. 🙂

I totally agree that having a resident cat changes the atmosphere of a shop for the better!

I love the Bodega cat video.

Here’s to working cats! And to the sweet kitties with careers in your life.

xo

September 5, 2011 at 6:44 pm (8 years ago)

A post about working cats wouldn’t be complete without mentioning your book, Ann.

3. Reneda Baer
    September 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm (8 years ago)

One career for cats is Library Cat. I wish ALL libraries had cats. It only seems right to have a cat where people are reading doesn’t it??? There used to be a Library Cat Society, but I’m not certain if it’s still in existence or not.

At our house we have “jobs” for all our cats. For example: Titan is the CEO of Cat Trucking. Andy drives a truck for him. Laker works in sales at the dept. store. [her favorite dept is cosmetics], Smidgen used to work at the U.S. Treasury, Ouiji is the accountant for Cat Trucking, Arena is a waitress at the truck stop, Raider is still in school, Mickey works for Domino’s, and Memphis plays keyboards in a band. Titan used to open for KISS in his younger days, sometimes he’ll get together w/the others, esp Smidgen when he was still alive and play a little, but he doesn’t do it professionally anymore, etc, etc, etc…..

Yeah, we’re pretty much not right at our house, lolol… But we love our babies!

September 5, 2011 at 6:43 pm (8 years ago)

Of course, Reneda – library cats! How could I forget to mention them! You have a busy group at your house – I sure would love to see some video of Memphis and Titan rocking out 🙂

4. Katnip Lounge
    September 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm (8 years ago)

I gotta say, I’d rather find a cat hair in my food that a rat poop!

September 5, 2011 at 6:42 pm (8 years ago)

LOL!

5. Bernadette
    September 5, 2011 at 10:27 am (8 years ago)

Some people think dogs are the only animals who work. We know better! I wouldn’t be where I am without my families of cats!

September 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm (8 years ago)

Same here, Bernadette!

6. caren gittleman
    September 5, 2011 at 7:47 am (8 years ago)

Too funny!! “Great minds!” I repeated my post from last year of “Careers 4 Your Cat” love the video you included and that you have had “working” cats in your life, not the lazy kitties that I have had!

Have a great Labor Day!

September 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm (8 years ago)

Ann’s book just lends itself perfectly to a cat-related post on Labor Day, doesn’t it, Caren? You have a great day, too!

7. Kent Butler
    September 5, 2011 at 7:16 am (8 years ago)

Princess Fluffybutt works endlessly at being regal and “above it all”. About the only thing our boys, Rascal and Moogie, work at is eating!

September 5, 2011 at 3:09 pm (8 years ago)

Eating is hard work!