Mews and Nips: Jack the Cat Lost at JFK Airport

American Airlines lost Jack the Cat at JFK Airport

Welcome to our second edition of Mews and Nips from around the internet.

The most upsetting story of the week comes from New York City. Last Thursday, Jack the cat got lost by American Airlines at JFK Airport. Owner Karen Pascoe, who was moving from New York to California with her two cats, was faced with an impossible choice: when she was notified by the airline that Jack had gotten out of his carrier, her other cat Barry and her luggage were already on the last flight to San Francisco before the airport closed because of hurricane Irene. She had to get on that flight.

For 60 hours, American Airlines did nothing. It wasn’t until Pascoe’s sister set up a Facebook page, which was widely shared by cat lovers on Facebook and Twitter, that American stepped up to the plate and did what they should have done right away, which included placing humane traps around the baggage area, reviewing camera footage of the area, and offering to fly  Karen to New York to allow her to conduct an escorted search throughout JFK. The story has since been shared widely in more traditional media outlets ranging from the NY Daily News to the Huffington Post. As of this writing, Jack has not been found. Our prayers go out to Jack and Karen for a speedy and safe reunion.

cat flooding boat evacuation

Mousebreath reported that according to an ASPCA survey, 39% of pet owners would leave their pets behind if they were forced to evacuate during a disaster. I found this number absolutely shocking, and I would imagine that most of you do, too. Have we learned nothing from hurricane Katrina?

adoptable kitten Petfinder Kitten Associates

This little kitten named Truffles may not have been the biggest newsmaker on the internet, but her story and that of her family is definitely one of the feel good stories of the week. Truffles is one of a litter of kittens rescued by Kitten Associates. She and her mom Amberly and four siblings were transported from Georgia to Vienna, VA, so Kitten Associates founder Robin Olson, who was one of the many fantastic speakers at BlogPaws, could take her back to Connecticut, where she and the rest of her family are now available for adoption. I got to meet  Truffles, and let me tell you, this little sweetie is all tortie! Life with Cats reported the complete story of Amberly and her miracle family – a must read for cat lovers. For more photos of the kittens and a bunch of us cat bloggers fussing over them at BlogPaws, visit Catladyland.

We know that cats and boxes make for an irresistible combination (just ask Maru, the most famous cat on the internet!). I leave you with this video of one cat stuffing another cat into a box:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MESt9buQcT4

Have a wonderful weekend!

Photo credits/sources: photo of Jack from his Facebook page, photo of man rescuing a cat from Mousebreath, photo of Truffles ©Robin A.F. Olson, Covered in Cat Hair

23 Comments on Mews and Nips: Jack the Cat Lost at JFK Airport

1. Laura Potts
    September 4, 2011 at 8:39 pm (8 years ago)

39%?!?! Wow. Couldn’t imagine leaving my furry buddies behind.

September 4, 2011 at 9:13 pm (8 years ago)

Laura, I checked several sources to make sure that statistic was correct, because I sure couldn’t imagine leaving my cats behind!

2. maru
    September 3, 2011 at 11:56 pm (8 years ago)

Is it not possible to do any legal procedure against AA in this case? I know that priority is to find Jack -that must be so scared- but the legal and monetary issues are what bother them, so… I also know that right now what Karen wants is to have him back, but I would like someone make the ariline as uncomfortable as possible.
    Leaving pets behind? I think I could not do it. I have not been in such a situation, fortunately.

September 4, 2011 at 9:17 pm (8 years ago)

Maru, I suppose that Jack’s owner may have legal recourse, but I think she’s wise in focusing all her energy on finding Jack and cooperating with AA right now.

3. Julia Williams
    September 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm (8 years ago)

I saw that video earlier in the week, it’s hilarious!

Those 39% of people who would leave their pets behind should not be allowed to have pets, period!! Would they leave their helpless baby behind? I doubt it. I would die before I left my cats behind, because if I lived and they perished, for every day I breathed I would wish to BE dead. Fanatical? I don’t think so — I love my pets like family, and wouldn’t treat them any other way.

September 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm (8 years ago)

Julia, I completely agree with you, and I don’t think it’s fanatical at all.

4. sachie+Goma
    September 3, 2011 at 5:17 pm (8 years ago)

I know!! I’m worry about Jack the cat…it’s been more than a week and half…i hope he is hidrated and eating food. Looks like AA baggage facility is a huge place… I also love Maru he is such a fun cat!!

September 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm (8 years ago)

Let’s hope Jack is found soon, Sachie. He could be anywhere by now.

5. caren gittleman
    September 3, 2011 at 1:47 pm (8 years ago)

I feel awful about Jack and it certainly would make me hesitate even more than I already do about bringing a cat on a plane, it is deplorable that they haven’t found Jack. I am thinking that someone stole him which is even more reprehensible.

On a lighter paw, that video was hilarious! The way the gray cat was looking around like it had no clue that it shut the white cat in the box was just too funny!

Hope you are having a great weekend!

September 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm (8 years ago)

I would never fly with a cat, Caren. I used to say I’d do it if she could be in the cabin with me, but now that you have to take cats out of their carriers to get through security – there’s just no way.

Isn’t that video fun?

You have a great weekend, too!

6. Layla Morgan Wilde
    September 3, 2011 at 12:17 pm (8 years ago)

It’s amazing with the amount of media coverage that Jack hasn’t been found. Then again, the last time this happened with AA, it took a month before the missing cat was found. Have a safe and happy weekend with Allegra and Ruby!

September 3, 2011 at 1:22 pm (8 years ago)

I can’t even imagine how scared Jack must be, not to mention what his owner must be going through, Layla.

You and the gang have a wonderful weekend, too!

7. Vicky
    September 3, 2011 at 10:17 am (8 years ago)

Great wrap-up, tied together with a video to make me smile 🙂

September 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm (8 years ago)

The plan is to always ends these on a happy note, Vicky.

September 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Dorian!

8. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    September 3, 2011 at 9:03 am (8 years ago)

Great update of all the weeks cat mews Ingrid! I still can’t believe Jack has not been found. I pray for him that he has found safety somewhere and that we will get a happy ending. And bravo to all us compassionate cat people who stood up to AA and took a stand. The 39% statistic is so absurd to me that I cannot even comprehend that it is true – but then when you think of the millions of animals that are abandoned on the streets by irresponsible pet owners each year, it sadly begins to make sense. I love the story of Kitten Associates – so uplifting and endearing. As far as the video, was someone at my house? That was a lot of kitties!! I loved when the cat finally came out of the box, so nonchalantly, as if it had meant to be stuck in there the whole time! Classic cat behavior 101 – acting bored and aloof!

September 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm (8 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed the news round up, Deb!

9. Dawn
    September 3, 2011 at 8:36 am (8 years ago)

Jack’s story is very upsetting. We live not far from JFK and will join a search party if necessary. Lola has been posting her opinions about Jack and she’s not afraid to say what she thinks! LOL What I find upsetting are the responses on the American Airlines Facebook page from non-pet people. “It’s only a cat, it can be replaced, lost luggage is more important than a lost pet, they give more attention to this cat than they gave my sister”, etc. etc. I’ve chosen to unlike that page and not expose myself to them anymore. And I realize I’m luckier than they are because my life is richer because of my pets and my love for all animals.

• Judy S. Walter
      September 3, 2011 at 10:20 am (8 years ago)

I cried when I read about Jack. That is HORRIBLE. If I ever move, I will have to have someone drive me and my cat to my destination–or she will have to be in the cabin with me. As for the 39%, people like that are lacking in compassion. Why do they even have a cat or dog????

September 3, 2011 at 1:20 pm (8 years ago)

Dawn, I never even read any of the responses on that Facebook page, I just check for the updates from the page administrator to see if there’s any news on Jack.

10. Rumpy Drummond
    September 3, 2011 at 7:18 am (8 years ago)

The video was adorable. And I needed a smile after reading that statistic from Mousebreath.

September 3, 2011 at 1:19 pm (8 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed the video, Rumpy.