The Year of the Cat: The 2011 Petties and BlogPaws 2011

2011 Petties Best Pet Blog

As most of you already know, The Conscious Cat won the 2011 Pettie for Best Pet Blog this past weekend. The winners were announced on Friday during a virtual ceremony hosted by DogTime Media. If you missed it, you can watch it at the end of this post.

I watched the ceremony at BlogPaws, surrounded by my fellow nominees and cat blogging friends. As category after category was announced, the excitement and the cheering increased with each win. With the exception of two categories (Best Dog Blog and Best Cause Related Blog), where all the nominees were dog blogs, the cats swept the Petties! Congratulations to all the feline winners!

2011 Petties the Year of the Cat

Moderncat – Best Blog Design

Catsparella – Best Social Integration Blog

Catladyland– Funniest Blog or Blogger

Sparkle Cat – Best Blog Post

Covered in Cat Hair – Best Cat Blog

I was particularly delighted that Covered in Cat Hair won Best Cat Blog. Robin is a dear friend, and we both hated being pitted against each other in this category. We couldn’t have asked for a more purrfect outcome, with both of us winning!

Ultimately, the real winners are the rescue groups who will receive donations from the Pettie winners. Each category will be awarded $1000, some bloggers, like me, split their prize money between several rescue groups. My $1000 will be split between Casey’s House and Kitten Associates. And I even got to meet some Kitten Associates kittens at BlogPaws! Maria and Bobbie, two of Robin’s rescue contacts in Georgia, drove a litter of kittens and their mom to the conference hotel so Robin could take them back to Connecticut, where they’ll be in foster homes until they’re ready for adoption.  You can find absolutely adorable photos of the kittens on Robin’s blog.

And even though we’re a cat blog, we love all animals, and would like to congratulate Fido-Friendly for winning for Best Dog Blog, and Be the Change for Animals for winning for Best Cause Related Blog!

I encourage you to visit all of the winners’ blogs if you’re not already following them.

I had a wonderful time at BlogPaws. For three days, bloggers, sponsors and animal lovers from around the country gathered at the Sheraton Premiere at Tyson’s Corner, VA for outstanding educational seminars, inspirational keynote speeches, fabulous networking, and plain old fun.

One of the unexpected higlights for me was listening to Joe Panz and Big Ant from Resuce Ink talk about their work. I have to admit, I never watched the show and was only vaguely aware of what they do. I had no idea how far reaching their work is, and how dangerous. I was moved to tears several times during their speech.

The best part about BlogPaws was meeting so many of my blogging friends in person for the first time, including the amazing Kate Benjamin of Moderncat, the lovely Deb Barnes of Zee & Zoey’s Chronicle Connection, the joyful and warm Caren Gittleman of Cat Chat with Caren & Cody, Sachie Tani of My Himalayan Cat Goma, Angie Holland Bailey of CatLadyLand, Joanne McGonagle of The Tiniest Tiger,  Janea Kelly of Paws & Effect, and so many more! It was also wonderful to reconnect with Tamar Arslanian of I Have Cat, Stephanie Harwin of Catsparella, Karen Nichols of Mouse Breath, Rachel Shubin of We Have a Situation, and Ann Dziemianowicz of Paper Bag and String.

I once again marveled at the power of the internet when it comes to making connections and forging friendships. I spend so much time online each day that at times, I feel closer to some of my online friends than I do to my real life friends. I treasure these online friendships, but you still can’t help but wonder whether the relationship will “translate” to real life. There is nothing better than meeting an online friend for the first time and instantly realizing that the connection does, indeeed, translate. The real life meeting simply adds another layer of depth.

BlogPaws 2011 sponsors

Allegra and Ruby were less than thrilled with BlogPaws (no, they didn’t attend!). They did not care for me leaving the house at first light and not getting back home until close to midnight, only to repeat it again for the next two days. They were, however, mollified when I opened the huge swag bag on Sunday morning. They were particularly delighted with a personal swag bag I received from Teri of Curlz and Swirlz and Carol of Coffee, Cats and Yarn – a lovely, and completely unexpected surprise.

I’ll be spending the next few days going through the huge stack of business cards I collected at BlogPaws, and writing follow up notes. I’ll be spending a lot longer than that remembering the wonderful three days spent in the company of friends, old and new. There is nothing better than spending time in the company of others who are united in being passionate about the same thing: making a difference for animals.

2011 DogTime Media Pet Blog Awards

httpv://youtu.be/erBh5niLKME

37 Comments on The Year of the Cat: The 2011 Petties and BlogPaws 2011

1. sachie+Goma
    September 6, 2011 at 6:41 pm (8 years ago)

con-cat-ulations Ingrid!! It was so honored to see you at Plogpaws in person thanks for letting me borrow a purple pen. puuurrrs.

September 6, 2011 at 6:51 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Sachie – it was great to meet you, too.

2. nancy west
    September 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm (8 years ago)

Congratulations Ingrid! I’m certain that Amber and Buckley are watching over you and purrring joyful energy your way!

Many blessings to you, Allegra, and Ruby

3. sachie+Goma
    August 30, 2011 at 3:21 pm (8 years ago)

Hi Ingrid! It was so nice meeting you at Blogpaws! You summed up so well but I just LOVED learning and meeting wonderful people who share the same interest and passion…yey for cat lovers!! and congrats for the best pet blog award!! I sure hope to see you next year!!

Sachie

August 30, 2011 at 4:59 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Sachie! Wasn’t it a wonderful experience? I was so happy to meet you, too, and I look forward to seeing you next year.

4. maru
    August 30, 2011 at 12:11 pm (8 years ago)

Congratulations again!
    You deserved it.

August 30, 2011 at 4:58 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Maru.

5. Julia Williams
    August 30, 2011 at 11:28 am (8 years ago)

Cats rule!! I was so disappointed not to be able to go, but I already have my ticket for 2012 so I hope to meet lots of wonderful people then!!! (and no hurricanes in Salt Lake, MOL). Sometimes people say that “online friends” can’t be “real” friends and I have to disagree, esp. when it comes to meeting and getting to know them by reading their blogs. You learn so much about someone, and even if you never get to actually meet in real life you can still know them well. At least, that is my experience.

Congrats again on your win and although you are right that the real winners are the shelters and rescue groups, I’m sure it is also a nice boost to your ego. =^..^=

August 30, 2011 at 4:58 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Julia! I’m already looking forward to 2012, and it’ll be great to meet you in person!

6. caren gittleman
    August 30, 2011 at 10:51 am (8 years ago)

Ingrid this summation of BlogPaws 2011 was beyond amazing! Right on the money, touching, deep, factual, just perfect!

Thank you for not only mentioning Cody and I in your post but the lovely way you described me really touched my heart. THANK YOU!

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN on your COMPLETELY DESERVED Pettie! Everything you touch has the stamp of excellence, knowledge, grace and eloquence attached to it and you deserve all the accolades and MORE!

You were smart to take a photo of your swag, silly me…went through it all forgetting to photograph it!

You are also wise (as well as beyond organized!) to start going through your business cards. I will do the same but am not sure if I can get to it this week, I am hoping so!

Once again it was a complete joy to meet you and I will shut up now because this comment is long enough to be a blog post itself!

Much love and friendship!
    Caren (and Cody!)

August 30, 2011 at 4:58 pm (8 years ago)

Thank you so much, Caren. I had fun writing this up, it was a chance to relive the experience. I can’t wait for 2012 to do it again, and to see you again!

7. Janiss
    August 30, 2011 at 3:57 am (8 years ago)

As Sparkle says, Conga Rats on your Pettie! I was so bummed I had to cancel my trip to BlogPaws this year. I hope to see you in White Plains for the CWA conference!

August 30, 2011 at 6:48 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, Janiss! We missed you. I’m looking forward to seeing you at CWA!

8. The Island Cats
    August 29, 2011 at 10:42 pm (8 years ago)

Congratulations on your Pettie!! Well done!!

August 30, 2011 at 6:48 am (8 years ago)

Thanks you, Island Cats!

9. Jay
    August 29, 2011 at 10:04 pm (8 years ago)

Congrats Ingrid. Had a great time watching the Petties.
    When you say “can’t help but wonder whether the relationship will “translate” to real life” I can answer – YES IT WILL.

August 30, 2011 at 6:47 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, Jay!

10. Vicky
    August 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm (8 years ago)

Congratulations to you on your Pettie! Hopefully I will get to attend next year and meet you!

August 29, 2011 at 9:00 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Vicky – hope to see you next year!

11. Lorie Huston, DVM
    August 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm (8 years ago)

Congratulations, Ingrid. It’s a well-deserved win! Your blog is wonderful 🙂

I enjoyed visiting with you at BlogPaws. What a great weekend!

August 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Lorie. It was so nice to meet you in person – it was a fantastic weekend.

12. Amy Shojai, CABC
    August 29, 2011 at 3:54 pm (8 years ago)

Congratulations once again! Y’all done us proud–I’m so impressed by all the brilliant pet bloggers and immensely jealous that I didn’t get to attend. What a wonderful benefit to all the deserving nonprofits!

August 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Amy. It was time for the cats to take over 🙂

13. Anna
    August 29, 2011 at 3:21 pm (8 years ago)

That’s all SO great and exciting, Ingrid!!!!!
    Congratulations again, well deserved honor! And to all the other lovely winners too! I’m so happy for the rescue groups that are going go get this precious help!

August 29, 2011 at 5:00 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Anna!

14. Bernadette
    August 29, 2011 at 2:16 pm (8 years ago)

And congratulations to everyone else! Sorry, the phone rang and I hit “submit”!

15. Bernadette
    August 29, 2011 at 2:11 pm (8 years ago)

Ingrid, congratulations again! Best Pet Blog is awesome! And cats really rule the internet, don’t they, sweeping the awards? We knew that, though! Wish I could have been there, but thanks for the wrap-up, I really appreciate it.

August 29, 2011 at 5:00 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Bernadette! I wish you could have come, too.

16. Susan Faye
    August 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm (8 years ago)

Congratulations Cat Lady Ingrid, on a well-deserved honor!!

August 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Susan!

17. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    August 29, 2011 at 1:45 pm (8 years ago)

Ingrid –

Wonderful post that expresses so eloquently what I also felt as a BlogPaws attendee. We do spend an enormous amount of time online bonding with fellow bloggers. To finally meet them in person and find out that not only are they as wonderful as you imagined, but so much more so, is amazing beyond words! I had to leave early due hurricane Irene (grrrr), but I must say that the few precious hours I had with everyone was worth every minute! Congratulations on your win and I can’t wait to see what is in store for The Conscious Cat in the future!!

xoxo – Deb

August 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Deb! I wish you didn’t have to leave early, but I’m so glad we finally got to meet in person.

18. Tammy
    August 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm (8 years ago)

Congratulations, Ingrid! We couldn’t be at Blogpaws this year, and missed it! Hopefully next year 🙂

August 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Tammy – I had hoped to meet you. I’ll be in Utah next year, so hopefully, we can meet then!

• Tammy
        August 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm (8 years ago)

Utah is definitely closer to home (both for me and for other World by the Tail folks!) Hopefully we’ll make it!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The Year of the Cat: The 2011 Petties and BlogPaws 2011

1. […] Media, announced that The Conscious Cat won the 2011 Pettie for Best Pet Blog during the virtual award ceremony on August 26, there’s been a little more excitement even after the win. Since noone had more to do with […]

2. […] didn’t even play with us before she went to bed! She said she was going to something called BlogPaws, and that it was important for our blog that she be there. I don’t like it when Mom is not […]