Feline Behavior Advice from Jackson Galaxy

Jackson-Galaxy

Updated April 2018
This post contains affiliate links*

Please note that Jackson Galaxy no longer works with private clients, and he will not answer questions left in comments on this post.

You can find a wealth of information about all aspects of caring for cats on his website and in his newest book, Total Cat Mojo: The Ultimate Guide to Life With Your Cat.

Total-Cat-Mojo-Jackson-Galaxy

Read my review here.

Feline Behaviorist Recommendation

If you are looking to work with a feline behaviorist, I highly recommend Mikel Delgado http://www.felineminds.com/ and Daniel Quagliozzi https://gocatgosf.com/ Both offer remote consultations.

*The Conscious Cat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon and affiliated sites. The Conscious Cat is an affiliate partner of Jackson Galaxy. This means that if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products and services we’ve either used or would use ourselves.

212 Comments on Feline Behavior Advice from Jackson Galaxy

1. Megan
    August 20, 2018 at 7:15 am (3 months ago)

Hi I have a 10 year old male desex ragdoll who is a totally indoor cat. I give him twisted up chanttell/pipe cleaner sticks for his enjoyment. He loves playing with them. I would like to know why he takes them to his dry food bowl after? I do always make sure that the ends are folded over so that he can’t hurt his mouth. I would also like to know why he goes up into one bathroom and tells his mates through the air duct that he has been to the litter tray.

2. Cheryl Campbell
    July 27, 2018 at 3:08 pm (4 months ago)

Hi, looking for some kind of answer that I cant find, I have a cat that found that our home is just perfect for her, when she first started coming around she had an old flea collar on, I got that off, and she is fixed, so I know someone owned her, she also has always been pretty fat, have never seen any discharge from anyplace, and now that she is getting use to everything inside she is running playing eating very well, I have no idea how old she is, she was very timid and still is a little, but one night she decided to run in the door when I had it open and hasnt left since, been hanging out here for a few months, maybe around 5 months, and living inside for for about 2 months now, that is all I know for her background, now for the question, she has never been able to meow, she always crokes, I have looked for answers all over the net, and cant come up with anything at all that fits her case, she is very fat healthy, happy, learning how to play and gets along with my other 2 cats. like I said before, no discharge coming out of nose eyes or mouth, ears are clean, she eats well, loves to eat she is a very large cat and loves her food. what could be going on this has me very confused

3. Patty
    July 20, 2018 at 2:02 pm (4 months ago)

I need some suggestions. My middle aged cat Goofy has a few issues that I am trying to figure out. She always thinks she is hungry. I got her an automatic feeder which helped a little, but she still sits and waits for it to open an hour before it’s time. She eats too fast and throws it up. (wet and dry) She is an indoor cat, but sometimes I will let her go out on the patio. I am on the second floor. She loves the sun. She gets dry skin so bad that she digs in the summer. She gets a shot when it gets bad. That seems to help until the next time. She also runs around the house like something is bitting her. I think these are related. She also does not like to be petted for more than 30 seconds. She will then start to bit or bat your hand.

4. Cecilia
    July 18, 2018 at 11:54 am (4 months ago)

Hello, I really, really need help with my cat. She doesn’t want to poop in the litter box, but she pees in the litter box. She also is always sleeping on a plant pot. She doesn’t move away from it other than to drink water or eat her food. Whenever I sit on the couch near by, she quickly but gingerly moves to sit on my lap or to sling herself over my shoulder just to lay down. I don’t know what’s wrong. She doesn’t want me to move her once she’s on me and decides to go back to the plant pot when I get up. She also does a sad meow. Please help, this behavior happens randomly for long periods of time and thanks for reading.

5. shirlee greathouse
    July 15, 2018 at 8:32 pm (4 months ago)

I am in a situation where I need advice from Jackson as soon as it is possible for him or a member of his staff to respond. we have an elderly cat (about 15 yrs) and we are giving a home to our friend’s elderly cat (20plus) as she has passed. These cats are both females The older cat has been declawed and our cat has her claws along with attitude. Any suggestions on introducing them and care without conflict?

6. Laura
    June 10, 2018 at 7:16 am (5 months ago)

Hi,
    We have a 5 year old female that was injured when she was very young. She had a broken hip and spent 13 weeks in a cage recovering. That Mede her very anxious and unsecured. She is very unhealthy attached to me as back the I was studying and unemployed and I was all the time with her home while she was recovering. She also has issues with hands and we think it is because the vets kept her on a cage very offensive for her x-rays and recovering. Vets agreed that she might have an anxiety issue but they did not give us any recomendable of what to do with her. She was living with an older cat cat but when this one passed away we bought a young Siberian cat to keep her company otherwise while we are at work she gets very anxious and vocal. The problem we have is that if I pay attention to the new cat she g yes jealous straight away and attack’s him. Do you have any recommendations of what we can do to make it better. We have tried feliway diffusers but they do not work with her at all. Regards Laura

7. Diane
    May 16, 2018 at 11:45 pm (6 months ago)

Your logo is exceptional! I’m needing one. Will you share your artist with me?

8. Diane
    May 16, 2018 at 11:37 pm (6 months ago)

Because I’ve watched your show, I knew how to train a sweet, starving stray that showed up on my doorstep to stop biting my hands when I tried to scratch her neck and chin. After 2 months with me, she’s become quite the snuggler but shows me love by biting my face. How can I discourage this behavior? You do all of us cat lovers and the cats of the world a wonderful service!! THANK YOU!!

9. Robynn
    April 21, 2018 at 3:15 pm (7 months ago)

Hi Jackson,

My husband and I are expecting our first child and are very excited for our family to grow. We have 2 cats, a Male tabby and a female calico. They have been our fur babies for a while now and we probably spoil them more than we should. The female is 5 and the Male is 4. I was wondering if you have any tips on introducing them to our newborn when the time comes. My friend brought her 4 month old over and when she started to cry my female cat came running with her tale puffed. In my opinion she just seemed scared because we do not usually have children in our home. However I did not let her get to close because I was unsure of what she would do if she got to close. My Male cat is very lazy and kind of scared of most new things so he never even came out of the room to see what was going on. Do you have any tips for us to relieve an expectant mothers worries?

10. Callie
    April 20, 2018 at 12:11 pm (7 months ago)

Hello Mr. Galaxy,
    We have 2 cats (a female and a male) and one male dog.. we originally had our female, who is now 6 years old. We got our male cat when he was 8 weeks old and out female was 4. The male cat and dog will both be 2 in a few weeks. Out cats both got a long almost all the time before we got our dog(ho we haven’t even had a year yet). Since we got our dog, our male cat won’t leave out female cat alone. He also wakes up every morning at 6am and stars running around and crying nonstop. It is causing a lot of issues in the house and a lot of tension between me and my fiancé. I play with all of them one and they all get one on one time. I just don’t know wat to do anymore, please help.

11. Breanna Gasper
    April 18, 2018 at 9:52 am (7 months ago)

Jackson I need help, I’ve got a 1 year old maincoon kitten who keeps peeing on rugs and my fiance’s clothes we can’t seem to get her to stop. Please help us.

• Joseph Jones
      May 19, 2018 at 10:24 am (6 months ago)

Is it always the same rugs? Does your fiancé have a relationship with the kitty already? I don’t know if you will get a response here but you can email me and I will tell you what we did in this exact situation. It’s the advice Jackson gave for the situation. lvn_lisa at yahoo if you want to ask me

12. Marie Ussery
    April 16, 2018 at 12:38 pm (7 months ago)

I have an 8 year old cat, Ethel Mae. I have had her since she was very tiny and had to be bottle fed. She does not like strangers at all. At every vet visit, she has to be sedated in order to provide any kind of care. She has never had a litter box problem until now. She goes in her box, but every time, pee goes over the side of the box. She has been overweight at 15 lbs. for a couple of years. She is now on a prescription diet with a probiotic every day.
    She has had two very thorough check ups at the vet in the last year due to her not eating for several days. The vet found nothing major in these exams. Of course, weight is a concern, and her throwing up often with no fur balls visible. She has a new, larger litter box and has lost two pounds. Ethel Mae is Mostly an inside cat, only being able to go outside in our small garden-home backyard. With all of this information being provided, I will refer back to the question, why might pee be going over the side of the litter box when my cat urinates?

• Olga
      April 18, 2018 at 5:33 pm (7 months ago)

I have 20 years old cat and same issue for the last 1-1.5 years. She can’t squat , she doesn’t squat when urinating. Perhaps it is arthritis , as was suggested to you earlier. So the urine goes over the edge of the litter box. I tried so many litter boxes and nothing worked. I ended up buying clear plastic box in Target with high walls and cutting out the entrance into it. Don’t put top on the box, leave it opened, without the cover. This solution helped for awhile. Lately my cat start getting accidents because she doesn’t turn around, e.g. not facing the entrance to the box. Maybe she is disoriented , I do not know. So she gets into the box and urinates where the opening is (cut out). So I put the “puppy training absorbing pads ” next to the entrance to the litter box. When/if accident happens – pad absorbs everything and I throw it away, no extensive cleaning required. Taking care of the old pet is a lot of work and a lot of patience , so stay strong 🙂

13. Jo
    April 15, 2018 at 7:50 pm (7 months ago)

My cat has started to jump on counters. He has never done this before. We moved about 4 months ago. He has towers in the house. One is very close to the kitchen. I am wondering if it is because of the move. I have also noticed his joints cracking. I would think that would keep him from jumping on things like this, but now I am wondering if he is trying to tell me something from this new behavior. He is set to go to the vet this week. Any thoughts or suggestions as to why he is now doing this?

14. Chris
    March 27, 2018 at 2:15 am (8 months ago)

Hi we have two cats they get along great our bengal just started peeing outside his box they are both fixed the bengel also meows every time my boyfriend leaves the house they have tons of toys cat trees boxes a lot of attention littler boxes are scooped daily we have 3 and washed every few months and replaced offen when we think they might have scratched them to much any help would be great thank you

15. Liz
    February 8, 2018 at 11:15 am (9 months ago)

Hi, this is a general question for a weird problem that I am having extreme trouble finding any useful information on and I will take any advice. Is it possible for a cat to have nighttime anxiety? I have a cat that we found as a kitten at work and I took her in. 3 years later she started getting super anxious at night and will hiss and swipe at my ankles any time she gets startled (which seems to be every other night). I live in studio apartment so we definitely have a space problem. The weird thing is she is an angel during the day and always wakes me up purring. It’s like Jekyll and Hyde. I got some safe space to try off amazon and also use a feliway plug in. How do I discourage this behavior? I’m worried about her quality of life, but moving to a bigger place isn’t an option for me financially. I also got her hidy hole things at the suggestion of the vet, but she wont use them. The vet suggested actual anxiety meds, but I don’t want to drug my cat. I really don’t want to send her to the shelter either, but I hate the nightly battles. 🙁

February 8, 2018 at 5:58 pm (9 months ago)

You may want to consider working with a feline behaviorist. If you can’t find anyone local to you, I can recommend Mikel Delgado http://www.felineminds.com/ and Daniel Quagliozzi https://gocatgosf.com/ Both offer remote consultations. Jackson no longer works with private clients.

• liz
        February 9, 2018 at 2:55 pm (9 months ago)

Thanks, I did make another appointment with my vet. I’m just worried it’s going to be bad news, or else super expensive testing. (I’ve heard horror stories) I’m going to ask her about the behaviorist! I live in Indiana so a lot of people think of cats like livestock instead of furbabies (we also have a big feral cat problem so the shelters are always swamped). I’m really scared if she went to a shelter she’d just automatically get put down so I’m leaving that as a last resort. I did take her to the vet before, but they couldn’t find anything physically wrong, and actually told me I was taking great care of her.

16. arlene hutton
    January 27, 2018 at 4:08 pm (10 months ago)

mr galaxy i really need your advice about my female cat can you help me she is called oreo she has just turned 3 and she pees on my daughters bed and i would like to know why she keeps doing it can you help me thanks

January 28, 2018 at 6:40 am (10 months ago)

Jackson no longer sees private clients. YOu need to take your cat to the vet as soon as possible to rule out medical issues. If there is no medical reason for the behavior, I would recommend working with a feline behaviorist. If you can’t find anyone local to you, I can recommend Mikel Delgado http://www.felineminds.com/ and Daniel Quagliozzi https://gocatgosf.com/ Both offer remote consultations.

17. Laura Cnristia
    January 10, 2018 at 4:13 pm (10 months ago)

Hi Jackson. I have a 15 month old tortie. We adoptec her when she wad 3 months old. I would love to adopt anotner kitten but Im not sure how Mia will react to another one. She is very attavhef to me.

• Susan
      February 15, 2018 at 10:35 pm (9 months ago)

We have 4 cats, 2 female, 2 male and two dogs. I recently found a mama and kitten. I have decided to keep them. Everyone says it won’t work. They say I need to get rid of mama or baby. Say mama will always protect baby and there will always be terrible fights with the existing cats.. Please telllme there is hope for everyone to live together

February 16, 2018 at 6:36 am (9 months ago)

As long as you introduce the new family to your existing pets slowly and gradually, there’s a good chance everyone will get along. You’ll probably need to go very slow with introductions, and be patient. Back up a step if things don’t go well, and enlist the help of a behaviorist if needed.

18. Kayleigh
    January 9, 2018 at 3:47 pm (10 months ago)

Hi, I’m hoping you might have some advice for me. About 3 months ago I adopted a sphynx from a shelter. He’s estimated to be about a yr old & neutered. He has a tendency to bite/attack pillows, blankets & stuffed animals and he’s starting to put holes in everything. I have been trying to keep stuff picked up but I have 3 small kids. I have “catified” as much as I can afford currently & play with him for 30 minutes to an hour every evening. He has his own cat tree, multiple scratching posts, a pop up tent & tunnel, solo toys (mice, balls), a turbo scratcher, a few wall mounted shelves (which he doesn’t really use), and I also feed birds in my yard so he can watch them. I’m also not really sure how I should correct him when I see destructive behavior…for now I’ve been telling him “no” then picking him up & moving him to an appropriate toy or scratcher. He also likes to cuddle with me under blankets at night & will be very calm & then nip me in the leg outta no where. I’m not sure if these cuddling nips are just hard love bites or he wants me to move over or what. I’ve generally found if I put my hand in between my leg & his mouth it usually stops him. For now the nipping isn’t major but I don’t want it to turn any to anything more aggressive either. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

19. Dianne Hogue
    December 14, 2017 at 1:06 pm (11 months ago)

I have a neutered male cato, just turned 1 year old, named Monster. He is of feel stock. His mother brought him to us when he was about 2 weeks old and laid him at our door. He was very sick and I didn’t name him at first because I thought he wouldn’t make it. We took him to the vet several times for meds and fed him goat milk with a syringe. His mother came to the door daily to see if he was still alive…..Fast forward. He was named speedy Gus because of his speed. But he is so MEAN. I have scars on my arms, legs and body from attacks. Ĺast night I went went back to the bedroom to turn the window fan on just like I do every night and he attacked me again. He ripped my forearm and blood was dripping off the ends of my fingers. I hadn’t done anything, not even looked at him. One point you need to know, i’m the only one this cat likes. He runs and hides from everyone else. Even my husband, though occasionly Monster will get in his lap. Monster is very possessive/protective of me. If another of the cats or a dog comes to be petted he will tear them up even if they are in my lap. My grandkids are moving in with us for 9 months and i’m afraid what he will do to them. We decided last knight to put him down but I really want to try to fix what’s wrong if possible. Do you have any ideas?

December 14, 2017 at 3:07 pm (11 months ago)

I would recommend working with a feline behaviorist. Jackson no longer sees private clients, but if you can’t find anyone local to you, I can highly recommend Mikel Delgado http://www.felineminds.com/ and Daniel Quagliozzi https://gocatgosf.com/ Both offer remote consultations.

20. Laura Christian
    December 1, 2017 at 6:02 pm (12 months ago)

Jackson I have a one year old tortie that is obsessed with the two built in book cases on either side of my window. She climbs up and knocks everything off. Im going crazy. I play with her to distract her but then she just goes back up. Ive tried everything I can think of. What can I do?

December 2, 2017 at 6:20 am (12 months ago)

I would put a cat tree near the book cases or replace one of the book cases with a cat tree.

21. Lily J
    October 31, 2017 at 10:08 pm (1 year ago)

Hello! I live in a big, relatively quiet house, on a farm. Our farm is big but all of our animals are well trained and we have learned how to keep all of them safe and happy. I have a problem. two problems. I have a 5 year old female tortie cat who was rescued. She used to be feral. She now has her shots, and is neutered. Her name is Momo. She likes: playing with feathers, and being around you and near you, but doesn’t like being held for more than two minutes. She is friendly to new people IF properly introduced, and using treats, and vocal appearance. She will come to me and meow when commanded. She appreciates petting on the face and head nudges. She uses a litter box properly I have had her for two days. Now.. I have another cat who lives indoor/outdoor. She is a barn cat. She is 9 years old, Her name is Sofie. Sofie is an elderly, loving lap cat. She will sleep on you/ beside you. She is affectionate to me, my mom and dad. She is accepting of new people all the time. People love her. She is curious, but still playful even in her age. Momo has been smelling Sofie’s scent the entire time in the house. Momo always has a twitchy, nervous, slightly swaying tail. She is exploring every little crevice and corner of the house with me monitoring her. HERE’S THE PROBLEM- Momo is afraid of Sofie. upon introduction, (the 2nd day) many howls happened. I only let Sofie in for a short time and both of them did not like the other. I fed them at the same time, and separated them through a door. Any time they would start howling I’d pet them, or vocally tell them to stop. and they would. I opened the door. I pet them at the same time, calming Momo by playing with her with a feather, and by giving Sofie food and petting. They both would start to smell and then I would make their attention on me. Sofie was more open to Momo, but Momo seemed to have trust issues and tried to hide. I closed the door again and they both ate their meal fully, right next to each other, smelling each other, but with the door closed. I brought Sofie back in the house for a short while so that she would know she is still loved… but momo is afraid. Sofie will hiss at momo. momo will growl. How can I keep introducing these two, and have them get along? how can I help them know they BOTH have territory of the house and the outdoors? Is that possible to attempt? I have seen cats live together in harmony as indoor/outdoor cats. How can I show Momo she is loved, and safe, and how can I sow Sofie she is still loved, and safe??

22. Beth Dlugos
    October 30, 2017 at 1:08 pm (1 year ago)

Hello, I need your help! I have a 3 yo female who doesn’t like people other than us. She’s a good cat but not very affectionate. Keeps to herself. 2 mo ago we got 8 week old bro & sis. Very friendly and good. Older cat hates kitties. We did all the slow meeting, keeping in separate rooms. She is still growling and hissing and hiding. The kitties keep trying to meet her but keep their distance. Older cat has run of house at night. Kitties are getting closer to cat but she still kisses, growls, swats. Any ideas to help them all get along?

23. Sophie Chatters
    September 27, 2017 at 4:49 pm (1 year ago)

Hope you can help. I have 4 cats, 15, two that are just over 2 and one who is 18 months. The problem I am having is one of the 2 year olds. She was very timid when we brought her home from the rspca centre and kept her and her cage mate who is also a girl in for just about 7 months. She started to come on the bed for strokes but could never stroke her any other time. They started to go outside but Dina was still very scared and timid. Then she went missing for two weeks, we thought we had lost her but then she turned up. She would not come into the house so we put string on the door when she was eating in the kitchen and kept her in again. Since then, for the last 15 months she has been an outdoor cat but coming back daily for food. She will take treats from my hand but will not come in or let me touch her. We have provided shelter outside and I know that she does not use it. What can I do to tame her, make her feel safe enough to ome in through the cat flap like the other cats? I am not fussed about petting her but I fear for another winter with her outside and being cold. She looks healthy enough, albeit she is a semi long hair and needs a good brush. She has not been wormed, flead or had her injections. We have tried a cat trap but with 3 other cats it is near on impossible. Any advice gratefully received

24. Linda Koontz
    September 2, 2017 at 5:17 pm (1 year ago)

Can an outdoor cat always become an indoor cat? I started bringing in a 1-year-old male cat last February, during the winter, for short periods of time. He has been neutered and had a rabies shot. He sometimes comes in now and naps for hours, eats and then wants to leave. He loves to play with his toys, loves to be picked up and hugged. But he always insists on leaving. He loves to be outdoors and is fascinated by it. Do I take that away from him and force him to be placed in a home where he would only be indoors? I had my own cats for 30 years, and my last 21-year-old cat just passed away. I now wish to travel and be away from my home so I no longer want to have my own pets, at least for now. My cat sitter, who does not live nearby, would not be of any help because this cat, Beau, does not always keep regular hours, coming in and out. I am panicking because when my mother passes away, I will be out of town, and I will be abandoning this cat! I don’t know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Linda

September 3, 2017 at 5:29 am (1 year ago)

As long as you provide an enriched environment, you can absolutely turn an outdoor cat into an indoor cat, Linda. You can find lost of information on how to provide stimulation for indoor cats in both of Jackson’s “Catification” books: http://amzn.to/2wuKOT6

25. Michelle
    July 26, 2017 at 6:48 pm (1 year ago)

Our family just took in a 5 year old male neutered cat, Milo. He was extremely aggressive when he first arrived. He somewhat found comfort in my son’s room but he would growl and hiss as soon as we walked into the room. I tried all the tricks from the show…. Waiting for him to come to me, sitting on the floor so I don’t hover over him, etc. He has made a little progress in the week he has been here. He comes out of the room, he is still very aggressive. He will come to us and rub on our legs, but sometimes he will bite our ankles out of nowhere. He also cannot tolerate hands. If he sees our hands, even from across the room, he will run in and attack. Is there still hope for him? I’m wondering if this precious boy was abused. I’m hoping one day he will see that we are not going to hurt him.

• Mariana Cook
      August 1, 2017 at 4:48 pm (1 year ago)

Hello. Try a bottle of Safe Space for cats by Jackson Galaxy Solutions. Or another great product is Rescue Remedy ( get the people version. it has the same ingredients and it’s less expensive). Tap the bottle in your palm for 50 taps to activate it. Then put a couple drops into his water each time you refill it. I have use it many times for anxiety in cats. From reading your description of Milo’s behavior, it seems to me he is afraid if hands because they hurt him. Try one of these products and give him some time. Might try wearing mittens for a little while til he is feeling less like he has to defend himself against The Hands. Hope this is helpful.

26. Ginger
    June 3, 2017 at 11:47 pm (1 year ago)

My 82 Y.O. Mother adopted a 7 week old kitten & after 7 months the Kitten jumped on her almost knocking her down. My mother gave the kitten to a family that is great with cats.. Recently, the son went away to college & wanted to get rid of cat. We offered to take cat back. The cat seems to almost be feral,. Not allowing anyone to pick up , Hold & pet. Runs off then comes back rubbing on my leg. What can we do to hold the cat?

27. Rodney
    April 19, 2017 at 2:29 am (2 years ago)

Hi, and thank you.
    i got into a home the second day I adopted a 4yr tortie. What a love. I had seen a previous cat but knew it was sick. Woke up thinking of her so yup she was there next day. So i adopted her as well-(another story,she was in fact very very ill) All things happen for a reason . Anyway my tortie use to sit in my lap for hours throughout the day. I changed/moved furniture. Swapped places. a recliner which is where we sat. Put a love seat recliner in it spot. the chair went in spot where love seat was. My tortie cat quit sitting in my lap. Gave me attitude. so i put them back. She has been in my lap twice since then. Has messes with me by asking to come up only to jump across to her post.
    Do not think other cats health improvements being more out has or was reasoning….?? lol. Seemed more furniture rearranging…. lol.
    Please any thoughts as i’m bummed no lap time with her anymore. Being empathic i feel she misses that bonding time.

April 19, 2017 at 5:23 am (2 years ago)

Cats are creatures of habit and generally don’t like change. Moving furniture can definitely cause changes in behavior.

• Jeanine
        May 16, 2017 at 7:27 pm (2 years ago)

What do you think about a rolling walker being introduced to the home due to illness. Eva seems to be afraid of it…..she hides in the bedroom and seems to not want to be with it in the same room…help!

May 17, 2017 at 5:21 am (1 year ago)

Unfortunately, that’s not unusual. Cats hate change, and anything new in their environment can be “scary.” You’ll have to try to gradually desensitize her to it. Maybe try using catnip on it to make it more interesting for her. Try to get her to associate it with good things – maybe toss treats to her every time the walker is being used? Tie a toy to the walker that may intrigue her (of course, being careful that it’s not going to trip you!)

• Jeanine
            May 18, 2017 at 5:35 am (1 year ago)

Thank you for your thoughts..will start the processes today.hopefully it will make her a happy girt again. Since the weather has been 90 for a day a believe the fan has alarmed her also. We do live with them…..don’t we.? Thank you again!

28. theresa octavi
    February 27, 2017 at 1:42 pm (2 years ago)

I have 3 cats. 2 of them do not get along since day one. I have tried many “introduction” methods such as sight swap, calming collars, JG spirit essence, food reward, baby gates, pheromones, you name it. its been over a year and I’m very frustrated. The aggressor will attack on sight. The “victim” is older & much smaller. Both get along with the 3rd cat quite well. I’ve always had a multi-cat house but never had this problem last so long. Any suggestions?

29. Mickie
    February 14, 2017 at 1:39 pm (2 years ago)

My 8 month old cat, GiGi, who was hand fed from birth has started biting from the time i brought her home. this seems to be her way of play, how can i get her to stop biting?

30. Sandy Kummerow
    February 3, 2017 at 9:54 am (2 years ago)

I have a 4 year old female shorthair that I adopted from the humane society about two years ago. She was a normal cat. About 2 months ago, she started attacking her tail, which she NEVER did in the past. I took her to the vet, she doesn’t have fleas, her skin isn’t dry, they did blood work and an ultra sound, and there are NO issues. They gave me anti-depressant pills (I haven’t given her them, I didn’t want to drug her up) and a couple can foods to try, she prefers her dry food. They said with everything checking out good, they really don’t know much more that they can do. She did start to calm down, a little, after a bit, but still going after her tail, sometimes very aggressively. With in the last week, it has got drastically worse. I thought I noticed this yesterday but she wouldn’t let me touch her tail, but this morning I noticed that she has pulled out so much hair that half of the tip of her tail, almost an inch long, is bare. She wouldn’t let me touch it, but it didn’t look like she broke open any skin…yet. She had started sleeping next to me at night in the last two months more than normal, but last night was different. She took forever to come to bed, just sat next to me and watched. When she did finally jump on the bed, she laid right by my head ready to pounce off the bed, she stayed like this all night (I didn’t get much sleep). I kept petting her all night to try to calm her down because I could tell she just wanted to attack her tail and seemed very stressed out. I don’t know what to do, I didn’t like seeing what her tail looked like this morning. Any thoughts or ideas to help me with her? I do NOT like seeing her like this.

• tony
      February 3, 2017 at 5:17 pm (2 years ago)

perhaps try some calming pheromones? You can buy them as a spray, a collar or wipes for their muzzle. Another option, use a spray on their tail that tastes bad. I use it on my silk plants and it help. Not sure how effective it would be on fur but worth a try?

• Robin
      February 3, 2017 at 5:33 pm (2 years ago)

I suggest putting a calming collar on her. If that doesn’ t work you may want to try playing soothing music from online that is specifically designed to relax cats. Has she been exposed to a lot of catnip lately? One of my cats cannot have any catnip because she tries to eat her own tail afterwards. I hope that either the collar or the music helps as an alternative to meds.

31. Lynda
    January 24, 2017 at 9:00 pm (2 years ago)

We have a 7 year old neutered Mainecoon. He is pretty mellow. We adopted a Great Dane who is chill. First intro dog charged, cat growled. They have been separated. We have a dog trainer coming in to help with sit, stay. The cat now has a cat shelf walkway. Hope for a controlled intro someday. Any other ideas?

32. Bailey
    January 19, 2017 at 11:32 pm (2 years ago)

I want to take my cat outside on a leash but every time I put the harness on him he lays down and doesn’t move. What should I do?

33. Deborah polley
    December 3, 2016 at 2:33 pm (2 years ago)

October 1,2016
    I moved in with my son and his female cat who is spayed. I have a male and female that are also altered. His female and my male do not get along they will fight and there will be fur everywhere. Is there anyway to stop this to where they can live together?

34. Neetah
    November 24, 2016 at 11:10 pm (2 years ago)

16 year old cat eats very small amount then runs away from it. vet cked his teeth and they were fine. was given cerenia injection, and transdermal FAMOTIDINE and MIRTAZAPINE for 10 days. Have you seen this behavior b4, and what could it be?Any suggestions of what to do next?

November 25, 2016 at 6:23 am (2 years ago)

I would pursue additional diagnostics, probably with an internal medicine specialist.

35. Melinda Geiser
    November 20, 2016 at 9:41 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, my husband has three cats(mine too, but he is the cat nut). the oldest is an 8 yr old 25 lb. tom cat, who is generally friendly and quiet. He usually just ignores the other two cats. The youngest is a female just over 18 mo. old and has been with us most of it (14 mo.). We started to introduce them slowly, but they got along fine right from the beginning. The day before yesterday he attacked her. No idea why. Today he hissed at her and chased her. HELP. Nothing has changed lately that i can think of. no new litter or food. I have been traveling a lot, but he (their primary attachment) had been here as much as ever. Any suggestions??

36. Kelly
    November 18, 2016 at 4:39 pm (2 years ago)

Houston we have a problem: I’ve had 2 Simese cats for over 10yrs, and I brought 2 Ferrel cats in, which I have domesticated. The simese cats, especially the male one… is stalking, and attacking the male ferrel cat. I can’t leave them in the same room together, or there will be a blood war. The ferrels have been in the house for like 6-7 months now. What would you do in a situation like this? I hate to let the poor cat back outside, but I am out of options here! HELP PLEASE!

November 18, 2016 at 5:54 pm (2 years ago)

I would separate the cats and start over with slow and gradual introductions, Kelly. It may be challenging if this situation has been going on for 7 months.

37. Georgia
    November 13, 2016 at 4:12 am (2 years ago)

My daughter adopted a 4 yr. Himalayan, declawed (she was surrendered by a previous owner, already declawed)…female, spayed cat. She has had issues over the past 2 years of urinating outside of her litter box. She will use the litter box for defecating, but urinates on the sofa, in the hallway…random areas. My daughter cleans the pan out each day, but the urinating continues. Can you recommend anything that would help her?

• Robin
      November 14, 2016 at 7:19 pm (2 years ago)

Does she have another cat or animal or did she have one in the past? It sounds like the cat may be stressed in that environment. My cat was doing the same thing because of my other cat and territory issues. If it’s not that then maybe a calming collar would help with anxiety and stress. Also using more natural litter may help. I usr to mix catnip in the litter box along with natural litter from the pet store. It worked well in getting my cat interested in using the box for both occasions. I hope this helps.

• Kathy
        December 9, 2016 at 9:04 pm (2 years ago)

My cat is having issues recently she is pee peeing on the wall took her to the vet for antibiotic may have been ati now she’s doing it again need to have an ultra sound to rule out stones if it’s negative I will difenatly try the calming collar and cat no with natural litter thanks so much

• Robin
          December 10, 2016 at 9:32 pm (2 years ago)

Kathy,

I hope there are no medical issues with her. If she received a clean bill of health and you get both the calming collar and some ‘natural’ cat litter, you may also want to consider adding a little bit of catnip on top of the litter. That seemed to have worked for my cats. They couldn’t help but go the litter box and once they were there, nature called. Please let me know how you are coming along. Good luck.

• Lisa Maynard
      January 15, 2017 at 6:37 am (2 years ago)

Cats who have been declawed have VERY sensitive toes and a good many of them don’t like certain types of cat litter because it hurts them to scratch in it. I saw an episode of (My Cat From Hell) where he deals with this exact issue. Trying different litters will be your best bet. The softer, smaller grained scoopable litters will work best. The all natural ones may be best also! Good luck!

38. Misty
    October 15, 2016 at 10:56 am (2 years ago)

This message is for jackson galaxy i have an 18 lb cat and i also have a 25 corgi dog my cat stocks my dog and smacks her my cat will hide and as soon as my dog walks by him he attacks her my dog is very friendly and just walks away but i am sick of seeing my dog be mistreated

39. Charlotte
    October 9, 2016 at 6:46 pm (2 years ago)

Jackson,
    Do you think it’s best to have one cat or two?

We adopted a beautiful female 2 year old that was a recuse cat. We’re thinking of adopting a male of the same breed. What is your advise please?

40. Jan CREECH
    September 10, 2016 at 9:22 am (2 years ago)

I have a 4 year old female that we rescued from a shelter. She used to greet people at the door and let them love on her, for the first couple years. All the sudden she won’t have ANYTHING to do with anyone but my husband n I. What would make her change like this? And is there any suggestions on how to get the “sweetheart” back in her

41. Jackie
    August 25, 2016 at 12:37 am (2 years ago)

This message is for Jackson
    I need your help what can I do to stop the cat for spraying .
    I need your help

• Lisa Maynard
        January 15, 2017 at 6:40 am (2 years ago)

Can I ask why he no longer helps private clients? Thats a sad shame!

January 15, 2017 at 6:57 am (2 years ago)

Between filming the show, his work with his foundation, and his travel schedule, he’s just become too busy to take on private clients, Lisa. But just think how many more cats he is helping through all his work!

42. Kenzie
    August 1, 2016 at 12:30 pm (2 years ago)

So about 2 months ago a I got a 3 month old kitten.She has a weird thing she does almost every morning. At about 7am she will start rubbing up on me to wake me up then she bites me. Like it’s not to hurt me but it’s slightly uncomfortable. There have been moments where I wake to feel my cat holding the front of my neck or biting my eyebrow. She never bites to break the skin but what could cause this behavior?

August 2, 2016 at 5:45 am (2 years ago)

She’s probably hungry. Try tiring her out with a vigorous play session just before you go to bed and feed her a small snack.

43. Giovana
    July 12, 2016 at 10:48 am (2 years ago)

I need your advice, ASAP. My cat has been missing for two weeks. It is driving me mad. I did all that I could: posters, flyers, internet search in lost and found pets, vets, shops, talking neighbours, tell to the microchiped company, RSPCA, Cat protection, pet detective etc… and I still cannot find him anywhere. He is a male, neutered, microchiped, 1yo. I have been putting his food, drink , my clothes outside , etc… I really do not know, what I need to do now.

• Kate
      November 22, 2016 at 4:36 am (2 years ago)

My male cat was let outside on purpose by a friend of my brother and he dug himself in a hole and I tried everything to get him. I called the animal patrol to ask them to help me and I know that this sounds gross but it worked. I was told to grab some of his used litter out of his box and create a trail to the door and to leave the door open however since my female was inside and I didn’t want her to get out I didn’t leave the door open. However Chance came out of the hole enough to where I grabbed him and got him inside. I don’t know if you have any of his used litter but try to get something with his scent. I have a feeling someone may have taken your cat inside their home. I hope that you find him. I have my female Asya (Asia) microchipped but Chance isn’t until December 2nd but I have always thought that it would be amazing if they make these chips with gps so that we can go online and track our fur babies when something like this happens.

November 22, 2016 at 5:58 am (2 years ago)

While there are no GPS tracking chips yet, you can get GPS tracking devices that attach to the cat’s collar, Kate.

44. tery
    June 29, 2016 at 11:06 am (2 years ago)

I have a cat that is 1/2 Chausie and 1/2 Domestic. My probelm with him is that whenever I pet him, he bites me. Very sweet cat but wonder if the Asian Chausie in him is the cause. I have had cats all my life and never had this problem with other cats. He will be purring while being petted and them for some reason, something takes over and he bites. Help

45. cathetine willis
    June 20, 2016 at 7:54 pm (2 years ago)

My cat Wizzy suffers from urinary tract infections and getting her in a carrier to the vet is virtually impossible. The vet gave me a liquid antibiotic but i am unable give it to her because she will attack me or spit it out. I tried putting it in milk but she refused to drink it. Any suggestions? Another thing about this cat is she goes nuts when i try to put frontline on her. She usually runs and hides. When we have attempted to put her in a cat carrier she has attacked us to the point where we just give up. She hasnt been to the vet in 2 years. She has been with me since she was a kitten and has always been an inside cat. I’ve never had a more horrible cat. It’s gotten so bad that i have actually thought about having her put down. I could never rehome her because no one would want this mean cat. Please! Please help me. I’m so stressed about it. I find myself brought to tears daily because i just dont know what to do anymore

June 21, 2016 at 5:47 am (2 years ago)

I know it’s hard when you’re dealing with a challenging cat, but please don’t give up on your girl. I recommend that you work with either a housecall vet who specializes in feline behavior, or a feline behaviorist. If you can’t find anyone local to you, I can recommend Marilyn Krieger http://thecatcoach.com/ and Pam Johnson-Bennett http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/ Both offer remote consultations.

• tony
      June 29, 2016 at 4:37 pm (2 years ago)

Get a syringe and fire that medicine in her mouth so she can’t spit it up.

• Kate
        November 22, 2016 at 5:05 am (2 years ago)

When my male cat was to make his trip for his baby boy shots he freaked out so bad about getting into the carrier that he bit me and wet himself. My vet does house calls but I wanted him to do it and stop freaking out over a carrier so I changed his appointment for 2 weeks, I started out by leaving the carrier open and in the living room, I put his toys inside and went and got a mouse toy you fill with catnip. I let my female show him that she felt safe and comfy in the carrier and I allowed her Asya (Asia) to sleep in it too. I bought a baby blanket and let him (Chance) get his scent on it and placed it in the carrier along with a treat trail going inside. I made Chance want to be in HIS special carrier and even used his toys to make it a fun thing for him. Now he’s still a scaredy cat and gets scared of the carrier but he does go inside and we’re off to the vet. Now we’re working on him getting brave because I have never seen such a wimpy cat in my life, lol
        If you go at this like your cats a human baby and take baby steps by not just pulling the carrier out when it’s vet time, you will make progress.
        As for the medicine well Asya is a hell cat when it comes to meds so my vet just gives her a shot called a convenience shot if she needs antibiotics, it’s a shot that lasts 2 weeks and I don’t have to worry about her spitting, throwing up, or turning into a devil child from hell, lol
        Don’t ever think of putting an animal down unless they are suffering from illness, please cause they are not throw aways just because you are tired of dealing. No one would do that to you just because you acted out. I had to put my 22 year old baby boy down because he was in heart failure and even though I know that he was suffering, the lifetime effects that has on me I’ll never get over.

November 22, 2016 at 6:01 am (2 years ago)

I’m sorry about your 22-year-old kitty. Even when they live that long, it’s just never long enough. And thank you for sharing your experience about how you got Chance used to the carrier. As for Convenia, I hope your vet educated you about the possible risks of this long acting antibiotic. Sadly, far too many vets don’t. While it can be a godsend for difficult to pill cats, it comes with some potentially serious side effects. Here’s more information: http://consciouscat.net/2011/09/26/convenia-for-cats-sacrificing-safety-for-convenience/

46. Jackie Trapp
    June 7, 2016 at 3:58 pm (2 years ago)

Hi,
    One elder cat lost his brother last year, so we went to the humane society and found an almost teen age kitty to keep him company. Slinky has done ok with the change and loss. Chanel however is a different story. We don’t know all her background but she was returned. Which is ok. Chall doesn’t like to be touch too much and can be a little jumpy at times which can be workable. She appears to be friendly and has adjusted to Slinky being older and not to rambunctious. My children both have cats. All came to live with us. Chall gets along fine with two, but is frightened by the other two and will not come down to the main floor of our home. It gets to the point that they will chase her under the bed, etc. There are times that she is by herself. I am afraid that the solitude may have an adverse effect on her. Is there any advise that can give to help us? Thanks!

47. Wanda Twellman
    June 5, 2016 at 8:31 pm (2 years ago)

I’m worried about one of my ‘girls’. On Feb. 24, I had a total replacement of my right knee. On March 29, my right knee gave way tearing the MCL and Patellar tendon resulting in me being hospitalized for 6 days then spending the next 32 days in a nursing home. Far from my ‘girls’. A mother-daughter pair, mother is 11 years old and daughter is 9 years old. The daughter, Minx, seems to have coped well with my extended absence from home. But the mother, Lily, I am worried about.
    Since I got home the first part of May, Lily has been attached to my side like Velcro. She doesn’t play, she isn’t eating like she normally does, she is sleeping all the time and she stays right under my feet or beside me all the time. Taking into consideration her age, I had her to our vet for a health check and he said she’s in perfect health. But he can’t explain her behavior any more than I can.
    Could my extended absence from home have been psychologically too traumatic for her to handle?? Prior to my injury, being retired, I was almost always at home or at most, gone for a few hours at a time except for two trips out west to visit my best friend. Both times I was gone for no longer than two weeks and it’s been a few years since my last trip.
    My Lily is my precious girl and I am really worried about her current behavior. She seems to be extremely insecure and anxious. To add to the current problems, I will be moving in a month or so to a new house and I know that’s going to upsetting to both girls. I need to know what I can do to help Lily get over her anxiety of my being gone for so long and ideas/suggestions to make the move as painless as possible for both of my ‘girls’ and not add any more stress to Lily.

June 6, 2016 at 6:01 am (2 years ago)

I absolutely think that Lily was traumatized by your absence during your surgery and recovery, Wanda. You may want to consider working with a feline behaviorist to help her regain confidence. Jackson no longer sees private clients. If you can’t find anyone local to you, I can recommend Marilyn Krieger http://thecatcoach.com/ and Pam Johnson-Bennett http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/ Both offer remote consultations.

• Kate
        November 22, 2016 at 5:24 am (2 years ago)

In July I got really sick and was hospitalized for 9 days, came home and 48 hours later I was taken by ambulance in respiratory failure. My Asya (Asia) saw them take me out and even though she’s used to my being away (hospitalized, she was so excited to see me when I got home. I came in the house and called out to her and all of the sudden I hear boom, boom, boom and I open the basement door and all I see is a brown ball of fur flying at me, lol Asya flew! Yes I said flew! Never hitting the last 2 steps when she flew into my arms, tail wagging like a dog’s tail and purring, meowing, and then the kisses! She kissed my face for at least 5 full minutes, she missed her mommy. BUT ever since she doesn’t let me out of her sight, she literally pulls my arm to her chest , holding onto me like she is afraid to let me go. Every time I go anywhere she sits in the window and waits for me. I make sure that I tell her every chance I can that I am going nowhere and I love her but she’s very much traumatized and it’ll be a long time before she relaxes.

November 22, 2016 at 6:03 am (2 years ago)

Oh my goodness, what a welcome!