Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance,
order, rhythm and harmony. – Thomas Merton
Do you struggle to find balance in your life? Many of us lead lives that are anything but balanced. In fact, at times, we often feel like a cat trying to balance on a tree branch, ready to tumble off at any moment. Some of us will manage to right ourselves, others will try to balance by flailing about, and the rest of us will fall off and try to get back on again. But eventually, no matter how hard we try, we’ll all fall off if we don’t create balance in our lives.
Balance is an essential ingredient for a happy life. When your life is in balance, your body, mind and spirit are in harmony. Everything just feels right.
But how do you achieve that balance in these hectic times we live in?
The definition of balance will vary from person to person, but the following tips can help create balance in anyone’s life:
- Make time for yourself. You can’t be there for everyone else unless you take care of yourself.
- Exercise regularly and eat healthy. This goes right along with taking care of yourself.
- Integrate your passion with your work. Most of us spend up to a third of our lives at work. Doing work you’re passionate about rather than work that’s “just a job” will go a long way toward creating balance in your life. If you haven’t found a way yet to combine the two, leave your work at the office. Nobody ever looks back on their life and wishes they had spent more time at the office!
- Spend time with family and friends.
- Live within your means. Stress over finances is one of the biggest obstacles to creating balance in your life.
- Don’t multi-task. You may think you’re getting more done that way, but you’re really not. By putting your full focus and energy on one task at a time, you will work more efficiently and you won’t feel like you’re just spinning your wheels.
- Spend time with your cats! Spending time with cats is one of the best ways I know to come back into balance instantly.
What one thing will you do this week to create more balance in your life?