Conscious Cat Sunday: Creating balance

Creating Balance

Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance,
order, rhythm and harmony. – Thomas Merton

Do you struggle to find balance in your life?  Many of us lead lives that are anything but balanced. In fact, at times, we often feel like a cat trying to balance on a tree branch, ready to tumble off at any moment. Some of us will manage to right ourselves, others will try to balance by flailing about, and the rest of us will fall off and try to get back on again. But eventually, no matter how hard we try, we’ll all fall off if we don’t create balance in our lives.

Balance is an essential ingredient for a happy life. When your life is in balance, your body, mind and spirit are in harmony. Everything just feels right.

But how do you achieve that balance in these hectic times we live in?

The definition of balance will vary from person to person, but the following tips can help create balance in anyone’s life:

• Make time for yourself. You can’t be there for everyone else unless you take care of yourself.
  • Exercise regularly and eat healthy. This goes right along with taking care of yourself.
  • Integrate your passion with your work. Most of us spend up to a third of our lives at work. Doing work you’re passionate about rather than work that’s “just a job” will go a long way toward creating balance in your life. If you haven’t found a way yet to combine the two, leave your work at the office. Nobody ever looks back on their life and wishes they had spent more time at the office!
  • Spend time with family and friends.
  • Live within your means. Stress over finances is one of the biggest obstacles to creating balance in your life.
  • Don’t multi-task. You may think you’re getting more done that way, but you’re really not. By putting your full focus and energy on one task at a time, you will work more efficiently and you won’t feel like you’re just spinning your wheels.
  • Spend time with your cats! Spending time with cats is one of the best ways I know to come back into balance instantly.

What one thing will you do this week to create more balance in your life?

15 Comments on Conscious Cat Sunday: Creating balance

1. Angie Bailey, Catladyland
    April 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm (7 years ago)

Great tips! I can always use a little more balance — thanks for the reminders!

April 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm (7 years ago)

I’m glad the tips helped, Angie!

2. maru
    July 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm (7 years ago)

Useful advice. Taking care of yourself it’s particularly important, and I have to do it properly…

This week, I am reading a book I have been thinking of reading, and having lunch with a friend I have not met for a while.

3. Katnip Lounge
    July 3, 2011 at 12:53 pm (7 years ago)

This made me THINK. I will go home and have a cup of coffee and sit down with the Cats instead of bustling around after work.

July 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm (7 years ago)

I’m so glad you decided to spend time with your cats instead of rushing around, Katnip! I’m sure the kitties will appreciate it, too.

4. Layla Morgan Wilde
    July 3, 2011 at 11:54 am (7 years ago)

Great and timely advice. During holiday periods we think we’re relaxing more but often endure more stress! Closely observing my cats like Odin (above) is a meditation is learning balance. Cats are masters of balance both physically and metaphorically. Listen to your body. It’s constantly giving clues about whether you’re out of balance by over eating, under sleeping, being tired, cranky etc.

July 3, 2011 at 4:51 pm (7 years ago)

Layla, I agree – watching cats is a form of meditation.

5. MaxtheQuiltCat
    July 3, 2011 at 10:37 am (7 years ago)

Great advice…. WE could all use a little adjustment and centering from time to time.

pawhugs, Max

July 3, 2011 at 4:51 pm (7 years ago)

And cats are so much better at the whole centering thing than humans, Max.

6. Momo
    July 3, 2011 at 8:06 am (7 years ago)

I, Momo, am blessed with super balance but would strongly advice my SS (Secretary-Slave) to take heed of your advice, especially the last one ;).

July 3, 2011 at 4:50 pm (7 years ago)

Momo, if all feline slaves spent more times with their feline rulers, the world would be a better place!

7. caren gittleman
    July 3, 2011 at 7:15 am (7 years ago)

My astrological sign, (Libra) is the sign of striving for balance. My fellow Libran friends and I always joke about our “scales” (the symbol for our sign) being out of “whack”. The biggest obstacles I experience are financial and balancing “husband” time with “writing” time.

I started exercising about a month ago (have lost 41.2 pounds since October, woooo hooo!) and it is something that is definitely a part of my weekly routine now!

It’s all about balance, balance, BALANCE!

July 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm (7 years ago)

Congratulations on your weight loss, Caren – good for you!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Conscious Cat Sunday: Creating balance