Allegra’s World: First Adoption Anniversary

Allegra's adoption anniversary

Today is a very very big day for me! It’s my adoption anniversary! A year ago today, Mom brought me home to live with her and Amber! I thought it was the happiest day of my life then, but every day since then has been even happier. I’m such a lucky kitten!

I was a little nervous that day, when Mom came to get me at Great Falls Animal Hospital, where I was staying. Oh yeah, and if you’re wondering how it was possible that Mom was able to resist my considerable cuteness and wait six whole days after first meeting me to bring me home – well, I got myself in a little trouble at the animal hospital. When the foster mom I had lived with before brought me there so more people could see me and so I could find a home (and didn’t that work out just beautifully!), the nice people at the animal hospital wanted to give me a good exam. And let me tell you, when  the woman in the white coat tried to stick something up my rear end, I wasn’t having any of it. I whipped my head around and bit her! That’ll teach her to stick things up unsuspecting kittens’ rear ends!

Unfortunately, humans have a whole bunch of stupid laws, and one of them says that if a cat bites a human, she needs to be quarantined and watched for signs of rabies for 10 days. Even though I was current on my rabies vaccination, Mom couldn’t take me home until the end of that quarantine period.

But finally, the big day arrived. As I said, I was a little nervous, but mostly excited. Mom had already told me that I would have a big sister. I looked forward to meeting her! I don’t think Amber was as excited about me coming home as Mom was, she hissed at me a lot and ran from me that first day. I didn’t let that upset me, and instead, proceeded to explore every inch of my new home. There was so much to see! The best part was that there were these huge big windows to look out! I could see birds and trees and people walking by, it was so cool!

By the time it got dark that first day, I was pretty tired from all the exploring. Mom said that she and Amber were going to bed, and showed me where that was. She said I was welcome to join them. Amber added “but remember your place, you’re the new kid here. I always sleep in Mom’s arms, and that’s not going to change just because you’re here now!” At first, I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to join them, but as the house got really quiet and dark, I jumped up on the bed with them. I wanted to be close to Mom, but I didn’t want to disturb Amber, so I crawled under the covers and wedged myself against the back of Mom’s legs. Oh, that was so nice! I felt warm and safe. I drifted off and dreamed happy kitten dreams that first night in my new home.

Amber and Allegra opening case of cat food

Things only got better. By the second day, Amber and I were already in cahoots, helping Mom unpack a case of cat food.

Amber teaching Allegra

By the third day, we were hanging out together. Amber taught me lots of stuff about how things are done in our new home.

Amber and Allegra birdwatching

I really came to love my big sister very quickly. We didn’t get to spend nearly enough time together. She got really sick and died just a few short weeks after I came home. I still miss her, and I know Mom does, too.

I never thought I’d find such a wonderful Mom and such a wonderful home. Every day I think it’s the best day ever, and it just keeps getting better and better! I am the luckiest kitten on the planet!

28 Comments on Allegra’s World: First Adoption Anniversary

1. Catsparella
    April 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm (8 years ago)

Happy Adoption Anniversary, Allegra! I hope that you had a wonderful day filled with all of your favorite things! It was nice reading about how you came into your mom’s life, and it’s clear that you’ve brought her so much love and joy in the past year, especially after the loss of dear Amber.

April 7, 2011 at 6:44 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, Stephanie!

2. Mason Canyon
    April 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm (8 years ago)

I’m running late too Alegra, but I hope you’ve had a wonderful anniversary. You are a very lucky cat to have been selected by Ingrid. But I know Ingrid feels lucky to have found you too. Wishing both of you many, many more happy years together.

Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

April 7, 2011 at 6:43 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, Mason! I definitely feel like I’m the lucky one!

3. Paula
    April 6, 2011 at 6:41 pm (8 years ago)

Aww I missed Alegra’s anniversary!! 🙁 Happy, happy belated anniversary sweet kitten! All the best from my three felines, too. They meow their “Happy Anniversary” wishes!!

April 6, 2011 at 8:15 pm (8 years ago)

You didn’t miss it, Paula – we still have a few more hours of celebrating to go here 🙂 Thanks for the good wishes from you and your three kitties!

4. I HAVE CAT
    April 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm (8 years ago)

What a lovely post. I got a lump in my throat when you wrote about Amber. How lovely that your paths crossed if ever so briefly. She had a chance to impart some of her wisdom, and perhaps pass along some tricks!
    xo

April 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Tamar. Amber passed along quite a bit of wisdom in the short time the two of them were together.

5. Tammy
    April 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm (8 years ago)

Happy adoption day, Allegra! You are a lucky kitty, and your mom is a lucky human to have you!! 🙂

April 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Tammy!

6. Layla Morgan Wilde
    April 6, 2011 at 12:31 pm (8 years ago)

Allegra, you are one lucky kitty but I felt the bittersweet of Amber’s absence. Fortunately, she was there long enough to show you the ropes and no doubt wishing you a happy day.

April 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Layla. It is a bit bittersweet, and I very much feel Amber celebrating with us today.

7. Debbie
    April 6, 2011 at 11:42 am (8 years ago)

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY ALLEGRA! I too remember your adoption, and initial meet-up with the beautiful Amber. Someday I’m sure you will have another sister or brother to share your mom with. Wishing you a very happy celebratory day!

April 6, 2011 at 12:57 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Debbie!

8. uscatsunite
    April 6, 2011 at 11:22 am (8 years ago)

Congratulations on you 1st Happy Anniversary, Allgera. You are irresistiably cute. Glad you found a good home.

April 6, 2011 at 12:56 pm (8 years ago)

Thank you! I think she knows how cute she is, too!

April 6, 2011 at 12:56 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Terri! It’s definitely a happy day today.

9. Max the Quilt Cat
    April 6, 2011 at 10:16 am (8 years ago)

Happy, Happy Anniversary, Allegra… You are very luck to have such a wonderful home. That’s for sure.

pawhugs and happy celebration time to you, Max

April 6, 2011 at 12:56 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Max. We’ve been celebrating all day.

10. Bernadette
    April 6, 2011 at 9:31 am (8 years ago)

Allegra, you’re such a lucky girl! It’s so unfortunate you didn’t get the chance to learn more from Amber, but it seems she packed in a lot of learning in a short time. You have an important job, keeping your mom happy, and you’ve done very well this first year.

April 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Bernadette. I have a feeling Amber is still sharing her wisdom with Allegra. Every once in a while, she’ll do something that is completely out of character for her, but so much like Amber, that I can’t help but think Amber is still teaching her.

11. nancy west
    April 6, 2011 at 9:31 am (8 years ago)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ALLEGRA! I look forward to hearing more about your wonderful life and adventures!

April 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Nancy!

12. Marg
    April 6, 2011 at 7:41 am (8 years ago)

Happy Anniversary Allegra. This must be kind of a sad day for your Mom too. We know she is so glad to have you there but we know she misses Amber. We do too. It seems that you keep that Mom quite busy which is a good thing. Hope you have a really fun day today and many more of them.

April 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Marg. It is a bit bittersweet, but I know Amber is smiling down on us. Allegra is having an excellent day so far!

13. Anna
    April 6, 2011 at 6:51 am (8 years ago)

Happy anniversary, dear Allegra!!!!
    I didn’t know you and your Mom back then when your Mom adopted you, so it’s been lovely to read your story and get to know more about you! Wishing you and your Mom many many happy years together!!!!!

April 6, 2011 at 12:53 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Anna! We’re glad you found us!