Meeting a feline celebrity

Matilda, Algonquin hotel

We’ve all heard the saying “Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.” Matilda the Cat has an entire hotel staff at her beck and call.

On a recent trip to New York, I stayed at the famed Algonquin Hotel, which I’d chosen not because of its long history as a haven for writers, but because of Matilda.

The Algonquin, located in the heart of Manhattan’s theater district, has had a resident cat since 1930, when a hungry stray wandered into the hotel in search of food and shelter. Owner Frank Case, famous for first welcoming Dorothy Parker and her friends to start the legendary Algonquin Round Table in the hotel’s bar, welcomed the feline traveler, and a tradition was born.

The current Matilda is the tenth resident cat, and the third cat to be named Matilda. She is a ragdoll who was chosen from North Shore Animal League after Matilda II, a 13-year-old ragdoll, announced her retirement. Matilda III began her residency at the Algonquin about a month ago. She likes to spend time in the hotel’s lobby, behind the front desk, or lounging on a baggage cart. The doormen feed her and the general manager’s executive assistant answers Matilda’s e-mail. When asked whether I could “rent” her for the night to keep me company, the bell captain told me “that would be up to Matilda.”

After spending the afternoon walking around Manhattan, I settled in for some people watching in the hotel’s lounge. Since I don’t drink, I passed on ordering a Matilda (belvedere ponaranza, cointreau, freshly squeezed lemon & orange juice, splash of perrier jouet 18) and stuck with cranberry juice instead. I asked the waiter where Matilda was, and he pointed to a corner of the lobby. And there, underneath a planter, on a velvety cat bed, was the “Algonqueen” herself, snoozing away. Since I didn’t want to interrupt the two guests sitting at the table in front of the planter any more than I already had, I didn’t get a chance to pet her.

Matilda was not out and about when I returned from dinner with friends later that night, and I assumed that meant that she had turned down my request to spend the night in my room.

Early the following morning I went to the lobby in search of coffee, and there was Matilda, stretched out in the very center of the lobby. I bent down to pet her, and was rewarded with a smile, a yawn, and a stretch.

My visit to New York was now complete.

You may also enjoy reading:

Steeler the cat, accidental (and unofficial) team mascot

Meet Sarah Donner, folk pop star and reluctant cat lady

15 Comments on Meeting a feline celebrity

1. Julia Williams
    March 4, 2011 at 7:44 pm (8 years ago)

I wrote about the Algonquin Hotel Cat last year — Matilda II of course. She was very nice and happy to answer my questions via email. I would definitely stay at that hotel if I went to New York. Too bad Matilda didn’t want to stay in your room with you, but she has a reputation to uphold, LOL.

March 4, 2011 at 8:18 pm (8 years ago)

I hope you get a chance to visit Matilda III, Julia. She seems to be taking her celebrity in stride.

2. Layla Morgan Wilde
    March 4, 2011 at 10:54 am (8 years ago)

Lucky you! She’s a charmer. I’ve met the 8th and 9th Matildas but not this one. Every hotel should have a resident cat.

March 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm (8 years ago)

I agree, Layla. And it would be even more fun if they would “rent out” cats to spend the night in guest rooms for those of us who miss our cats when we travel!

• Layla Morgan Wilde
        March 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm (8 years ago)

I’ve enjoyed the company of a B & B owner’s cat on a few occasions. The Japanese rent out cats and dogs by the hour which I don’t agree with. Who knows where they go and what they do with them.

3. T Pinks
    March 4, 2011 at 9:19 am (8 years ago)

Nothing like making another cat connection 🙂 I love this local floor store here in Cedar Rapids, IA. A man and his sister run it. They have three strays they took in who basically own the store. I love kitty love.

March 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm (8 years ago)

I love store kitties, T Pinks!

4. Pamela Kimmell
    March 4, 2011 at 10:07 am (8 years ago)

This is a totally charming story……..what a great tradition the Algonquin has had since the 30’s in having a resident cat! Too bad Matilda III didn’t grace you with her pretty self as a sleeping companion the night you were there but at least you got to give her a pet or two! I remember years ago when my Mom was in a nursing home they had a resident cat and a resident dog…..it certainly was a tough of “home” for everyone there.

March 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm (8 years ago)

I felt very honored that I got to pet Matilda, Pamela.

5. Marg
    March 4, 2011 at 9:03 am (8 years ago)

That is such a great story. Love the fact that one more cat has a home and what a wonderful home it is. Think of all the people that Matilda gets to meet. We used to have a Matilda here. Glad you got to pat her at least.

March 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm (8 years ago)

I wouldn’t mind living in Matilda’s home every day, Marg. It was one of the nicest hotels I’ve ever stayed at in New York.

6. Max the Quilt Cat
    March 4, 2011 at 7:43 am (8 years ago)

What a wonderful post. Thanks for telling us about Matilda.

pawhugs, Max

March 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm (8 years ago)

My pleasure, Max. Have a great weekend!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Meeting a feline celebrity

1. […] had the pleasure of meeting Matilda when I stayed at the Algonquin hotel last […]

2. […] Street cat fell asleep on the job. This week, the top working cat story comes from New York City. Matilda, the resident cat at the famed Algonquin Hotel, has been sent into exile by the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hgyiene. The […]