Guest post by Angie Bailey
Feeling stressed? Lacking confidence? Aren’t getting enough rest? Put down that latest self-help book and behold the stealthy swami that is the cat. These sleek sages know how to expertly embrace a peaceful, present, and playful existence. When I observe my three fuzzy felines and the manner in which they “are,” I cannot help but pick up a few tips.
- Ask for what you want. Load your life (or nine) with all of your desires and meow for more! The world is your toy basket – fill it full of your very own equivalent of catnip mice and feathers-on-a-stick.
- Watching birds is an entertaining and relaxing way to spend a slice of time. Talking to the birds creates an even kickier encounter!
- Strech out in a spot of sunlight. Cats are the ultimate yoga masters, mastering such poses as Downward Licking Leg, Restful Reclining Reach, and Bending Bum-Bathe. I recommend the first two.
- Bask in your own personal style – cats don’t worry if a tuft of fur is out of place or if an ear is turned inside out for several hours. Flaunt your fantastic flair!
- Raucous play can be excellent exercise. Go ahead, burn a few calories by enthusiastically batting an aluminum foil ball around on the kitchen floor…you know you want to!
- Be sure to eat lots of greens and protein, but indulge in a tempting treat now and again.
- Create time for naps – curling up with someone else for a serene snooze is even better.
- If someone flicks his tail in your face, don’t take it personally – find that spot of sun and stretch again. And then nap.
- Detachment is key to happiness. If your food bowl is moved, adjust and find something positive about the new location.
- Always trust your intuition. If a situation causes you to pause, for purr’s sake, jump in with all paws!
- Practice presence. Offer the gift of your full attention to the friend who’s extended her paw in play and when you’ve moved on to patio-door-bird watching, enjoy every morsel of those moments. Look – a sparrow!
- Unconditional love is what it’s all about. Cats love us when we feel great and adore us just as equally when we wear our cranky pants.
Cats are quite wise beyond their whiskers. Gratefully welcome the profundity of their purrs and their flair for frisky frolicking. Share a sunny spot with a cat for a few minutes and see if you don’t feel a little more centered. Looking to learn the secret to leading a happy and fulfilling life? The cat’s out of the bag – look no further than your four-legged feline.
Copyright © 2009 Angie Bailey. All Rights Reserved.
Angie Bailey writes humorous essays and musings about cats, family, and glimpses into the quirky, delicious, and oftentimes thought-provoking experiences of life for her blog Catladyland.