Amber

Amber
July 29, 1998 – May 13, 2010
Be at Peace, Beautiful Girl

My beautiful girl died peacefully at home in my arms late yesterday afternoon, with the loving and gentle assistance of my dear friend and Amber’s vet, Fern.

As some of you already know, she had been sick for ten days and at the Hope Center for Advance Veterinary Medicine in intensive care for the last three and a half days. We just received confirmation today that what we had suspected was true – a calici virus had ravaged her system, causing multiple problems ranging from laryngitis to pancreatitis, complicated by an underlying heart problem we didn’t even know she had, which made it impossible to find the right balance between providing supportive care and not pushing her heart too far. Yesterday it looked like she was getting better, but yesterday morning, she took a turn for the worse, and her prognosis was so poor that I decided against further treatment. I took her home and spent the afternoon with her. The final good-bye was very peaceful.

Amber was a wise old soul in a feline body. Her gentle, loving presence brought so much happiness and joy to my life these past ten years. She was the inspiration behind The Conscious Cat, and even had her own column here, titled Amber’s Mewsings. You can read her entire story here.

I’m still in shock – I keep hoping I’ll wake up and find that these last ten days were just a bad dream. I’m going to miss my beautiful girl terribly. Her little sister Allegra only got to know her for a little over a month, and it breaks my heart that the two of them never got a chance to become close.

Amber taught me to slow down, to appreciate the gentleness in each moment, and to listen with and to my heart. Every cat we loose takes another little piece of our hearts. Amber took a big piece of mine tonight.

75 Comments on Amber

1. Karen Jo
    May 15, 2010 at 2:29 am (10 years ago)

I am so sorry that Amber had to go to the Rainbow Bridge. I am glad that Allegra is there to be a comfort to you.

2. Sherry Black
    May 14, 2010 at 11:53 pm (10 years ago)

I am so very sorry Ingrid. But draw comfort from the fact that one day you will see your beloved Amber again at The Bridge and she will be waiting for you….

3. Sniffie and the Florida Furkids
    May 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm (10 years ago)

We’re sorry that Amber had to go to the bridge. Purrs and prayers to you.

Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

4. Poppy Q
    May 14, 2010 at 10:40 pm (10 years ago)

So sorry for the loss of your beautiful wise girl. Hugs to you as your heart slowly mends.

Julie and Poppy Q

5. Pumpkin
    May 14, 2010 at 10:07 pm (10 years ago)

So sorry to hear abowt Amber. Purrs sent frum Hah-why-eee.

Pumpkin, Tiger, Bebe, Sophie

6. Fin
    May 14, 2010 at 9:53 pm (10 years ago)

My deepest purrs for your loss.

7. Kim Gilman
    May 14, 2010 at 6:52 pm (10 years ago)

The paw prints left on our hearts will never be forgotten

8. Pierro
    May 14, 2010 at 6:26 pm (10 years ago)

Rest in Peace Amber.
    You gave so much happiness and love
    We are purrring fervently for the broken hearts you left behind
    much love and purrrs to all of you

9. Peter J. Wolf
    May 14, 2010 at 6:25 pm (10 years ago)

Ingrid, I’m so sorry to hear about Amber! Keeping you in our thoughts…

10. Brian
    May 14, 2010 at 6:20 pm (10 years ago)

My sisters and I are so sad to hear about your sweet Amber. We didn’t know her, and we are so sorry we didn’t. We send you our best loving purrs.

11. Honeybell @Wildboutbirds
    May 14, 2010 at 5:38 pm (10 years ago)

Good night sweet Amber; safe travels to the RB; sweet baby girl; purrs and hugs to mama and family; paws to heart

12. The Island Cats
    May 14, 2010 at 5:08 pm (10 years ago)

We didn’t know Amber, but we are so sorry to hear she has gone to the Bridge. We send you comforting purrs to help you through this sad time…

Wally, Ernie & Zoey (and mom Sue)

13. 'Kaika
    May 14, 2010 at 5:03 pm (10 years ago)

We are so very sorry that Amber had to leave you, but we can see how loved she was and how she surely knew that. Sending you gentle purrs …

Run free at the Bridge, beautiful Amber …

14. Moxie Paws
    May 14, 2010 at 4:07 pm (10 years ago)

So very sorry about loss of your beloved Amber. How fortunate you and she were to have had 10 incredible years together. Like you, my Princess, Miss Mia has definitely taught me to listen to my heart, which I am most grateful for!

15. Zippy, Sadie and Speedy
    May 14, 2010 at 2:47 pm (10 years ago)

We’re so sorry for your loss. Godspeed Amber, have fun playing with all those who will be waiting to show you all the great things there are at the Rainbow Bridge.

16. Debbie
    May 14, 2010 at 2:38 pm (10 years ago)

So so very sorry you lost your beautiful Amber. You are never prepared to lose a furkid, and it hurts so much. I will light a candle for Amber’s journey to the Rainbow Bridge, where she will patiently wait for you. Take care-

(((HUGS)))

Debbie

17. meowmeowmans
    May 14, 2010 at 2:31 pm (10 years ago)

I’m so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for loving Amber as much — and as well — as you did. Our purrs and prayers are with you.

18. Your Daily Cute
    May 14, 2010 at 2:26 pm (10 years ago)

Oh, Ingrid. I’m so sorry for your loss. How lucky you two were to have each other for so long and have so many good times with each other.

When I lost my Gizmo, a friend sent me this video about the Rainbow Bridge, and it helped me very much. I hope it brings you the happy tears it brought me: http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Sending over virtual hugs,
    –Dorian

19. Tiger and Tux
    May 14, 2010 at 2:15 pm (10 years ago)

What a beautiful post you have written. We are so sorry to hear about Amber. Two years ago we suddenly lost an 18 yr old female cat (24 hrs after diagnosis) and had no idea she was even ill. We were told six months and then it was the next day. Hopefully these posts will bring you some comfort. Please accept our deepest sympathies and heartfelt thoughts.
    Peace,
    Tiger and Tux (and one of their humans)

20. Ingrid
    May 14, 2010 at 2:10 pm (10 years ago)

I’m overwhelmed by this outpouring of love and support – thank you more than words can say. I’m barely able to cope right now, but I know that in time, the memories will outweigh the pain, and Amber’s contribution to this site will continue.

21. Kat
    May 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm (10 years ago)

May the memories of love outweigh the grief of loss.

I’ve lost many furfriends over the years and it never gets any eaisier. No matter if it’s quick or slow, walkabout, at the vets, or at home. Deciding it’s time to say good-bye is one of the hardest. But you know how much she loved you. And she knows too. Don’t be surprised to hear the patter of little feet around… I know I have when I’ve had such a close bond.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Kitty Horde and their Feeders send purrs and prayers, head butts & blessings to you and yours.

22. Daniela Caride
    May 14, 2010 at 2:01 pm (10 years ago)

Ingrid, I am so sorry for your loss. My sympathies to you and Allegra. Be well, my dear.

23. I HAVE CAT
    May 14, 2010 at 1:49 pm (10 years ago)

There is nothing I can say that others haven’t already said. I’m so saddened by your sudden loss. I can’t imagine how you must be feeling> I’m grateful little Allegra is there for your during this trying time. Just remember you did an AMAZING thing taking in sweet Amber. You were lucky to have had eachother in your lives if for even a short time.
    x0
    T

24. The Kool~Kittie~Krew
    May 14, 2010 at 1:39 pm (10 years ago)

We are so very sorry for the loss of your sweet girl. We heard the news on the CB. Just take peace in knowing she left you with the TRUE meaning of love, home, and family. We’re sorry Allegra didn’t get to know her all that well. She will always watch over you and send signs to you to let you know she’s around and that she’s ok, just waiting for the day you shall meet again.

Gentle Purrs and Hugs to you~
    The Kool~Kittie~Krew and Shannon

25. Cats of wildcat woods
    May 14, 2010 at 1:09 pm (10 years ago)

My heart breaks for you in your loss of lovely Amber. Each cats touches us in their very special way. Sending loving healing energy to you all.

26. Jenny Meyers
    May 14, 2010 at 12:55 pm (10 years ago)

Ingrid,

I am so, so sorry to hear of your loss. Amber knows how much you love her, and how much joy she brought to your life. Her life was truly wonderful and full of love, and she will always be with you. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. I’m sorry Allegra did not get to know her big sister well. 🙁 I’m glad you have her tho during this tough time.

27. Cindy
    May 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm (10 years ago)

My darling baby Noelle died in my arms about this time last year. The pain is stilll there but my two new girls Coco age 6 years (adopted from the Arlington Shelter) and Sophie age 8 months (found abandoned on the road by a friend) have helped fill the hole in my heart. A toast to Amber and hoping Allegra helps fill the hole in your heart. Sweet dreams Amber.

28. Melissa
    May 14, 2010 at 12:36 pm (10 years ago)

Deepest sympathies on the loss of your dear Amber. We wish you peace in this difficult time.

Rest in Peace, sweet Amber.

29. KC
    May 14, 2010 at 12:27 pm (10 years ago)

We are so sorry.
    Sending love and purrs.

30. Kate
    May 14, 2010 at 12:13 pm (10 years ago)

Oh, Ingrid. I’m so very, very sorry to hear the news. My heart goes out to you. She was such a beautiful girl and obviously a wonderful, dear soul. So sorry.

31. Laurel
    May 14, 2010 at 11:45 am (10 years ago)

What a blessing to have had Amber in your life and what a blessing you were to her, Ingrid. My heart is with you.

32. Tammy
    May 14, 2010 at 11:29 am (10 years ago)

Ingrid – sincere sympathy for the loss of your Amber. I’m so sorry to hear this news. Please take good care of yourself, and let Allegra offer up some good kitty love during this difficult time. Amber will live on in your memory and here on your blog with all of us who loved getting to know her!

33. Kathy Henry
    May 14, 2010 at 11:16 am (10 years ago)

I am so sorry to hear about Amber’s passing. But she was blessed to have such a loving person caring for her. My prayers are with you and Allegra.

34. Kevin
    May 14, 2010 at 11:14 am (10 years ago)

Rest in peace, little one…

35. Laura
    May 14, 2010 at 11:10 am (10 years ago)

This is a beautiful post that you wrote, about a beautiful cat, who was loved by such a beautiful woman. Allegra will no doubt be stepping into a role of comfort for you. I am so sorry Ingrid. Words are failing me.

36. hani
    May 14, 2010 at 10:46 am (10 years ago)

oh i always sad to hear pet passing away…i almost crying…cause iwas loosing mine amonth ago…for people who never had pets,they never understand how our cats/pets so important to us..loosing them like loosing our kid or family…but then i realized they’ll be no pain anymore for them…i realized that if we really love them,we have to give the best for them…and for the sick cats/pets..by taking away their pain…it’s the best we could give as our proved that we love them….died in our arms or in our hug..made them understand that we love them forever…

37. Danielle Denhardt
    May 14, 2010 at 10:42 am (10 years ago)

Words are never adequate at a time of loss. But please know that we here at Fancy Cats are sending love and hugs to you. May your memories of Amber be a comfort to you; may you continue to feel her calming energy around you; and may you find consolation in knowing that others care.

Please accept our deepest sympathy and our heartfelt thoughts.

38. Layla Morgan Wilde
    May 14, 2010 at 10:30 am (10 years ago)

Oh Ingrid, my heart is breaking for you. Words elude me. I’ll email you privately.

39. jansfunnyfarm
    May 14, 2010 at 10:01 am (10 years ago)

We are so very sorry for your loss. Amber sounds like a very sweet kitty and we know you miss her very much! It’s so hard to say good-bye. Purrs, tail wags & hugs.

40. Lianne Elsner
    May 14, 2010 at 9:45 am (10 years ago)

I’m so, so sorry….Amber was a beautiful cat. She will wait for you at the Bridge…

Take comfort knowing that you made her feel safe and loved in her final moments.

41. Amy & The House of Cats
    May 14, 2010 at 9:42 am (10 years ago)

Oh we are so so sorry for your loss. We are so sad to read about Amber passing. We know how hard this has to be for you, but just remember that she passed over to the bridge knowing how much you loved her. And at the bridge she will be healthy and watching down over you and Allegra to make sure you both have happy lives.

42. Bernadette
    May 14, 2010 at 9:40 am (10 years ago)

My tears are falling for you. Try to have some peaceful days while we all send you love.

43. Heather
    May 14, 2010 at 8:57 am (10 years ago)

Just wanted to wish you my sympathy. I am so sorry. I did not realize Amber’s illness was so severe. I will say some prayers for you and Allegra.

44. marg
    May 14, 2010 at 7:55 am (10 years ago)

Oh Ingrid I am so sorry. I can barely write because as they say, of the water in my eyes. I just can’t believe it and I am sure you are having a hard time believing it too. We are sending tons of purrs, woofies, heehaws and a Baa to you. And tons of hugs too. BUT I do think you did the right thing. Take care and will be thinking about you in your sadness.

45. Rebecca
    May 14, 2010 at 7:47 am (10 years ago)

I am so very sorry. I was just getting to know Amber through your wonderful blog. This is just a shock. Take care, will be thinking of you and sending prayers.

46. mariodacat
    May 14, 2010 at 6:49 am (10 years ago)

So sad. Such a bootiful girl too. Yes, with each pet’s passing, a piece of our heart goes with them. Will keep you in our thoughts & prayers.

47. Mason Canyon
    May 14, 2010 at 6:46 am (10 years ago)

So very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you at this difficult time. Allegra will be a comfort to you. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Amber

1. From afar, I mourn for Amber the Cat - The Daily Tail – Dog Stories & Cat Stories says:

[…] still in shock,” she said on the e-mail. “I keep hoping I’ll wake up and find that these last ten days were just a bad […]

2. Friday Noos » Cat Blogosphere says: