Easter Safety Tips for Pets

As you get ready to celebrate Easter with family and friends, keep the following precautions in mind to ensure that your furry family members stay safe and healthy.

Chocolate:  Chocolate is toxic for pets, especially dogs.  Even small amounts of chocolate can be extremely dangerous.  The toxic component in chocolate, theobromine, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and an abnormally elevated heart rate.  Different types of chocolate contain varying levels of theobromine.  Dark chocolate contains the highest amounts and is therefore the most toxic to dogs.  Early symptoms of chocolate toxicity are vomiting, diarrhea and trembling.

Easter Lilies:  Easter Lilies are deadly for cats, so make sure you keep them completely out of cats’ reach.  Other potentially poisonous flowers may include tulips, calla lilies, daisies, crysanthemums and baby’s breath.

Easter Grass:  Easter grass can be life-threatening for cats if ingested.  The material can wrap itself around your cat’s intestines and cut off circulation, requiring immediate medical intervention.  Look for safer alternatives to Easter grass, such as tissue paper.

Sugar Substitutes:  Xylitol, a popular sugar substitute used in sugar-free candy and in anything from sugarless gum to toothpaste is highly toxic to pets.  It causes a rapid drop in blood sugar and can lead to seizures and liver failure.

All it takes is a little common sense, and your entire family can enjoy a safe and happy Easter celebration.

9 Comments on Easter Safety Tips for Pets

1. Cheri Collins
    April 14, 2019 at 6:49 pm (3 months ago)

The SPCA has posted a long list of plants (and foods) toxic to cats and dogs. I have a large euphorbia in my living room, now 6.5′ tall. I saw a picture of a dog badly burned by the sap when he and a playmate knocked over and broke one of these plants! I had read they were “toxic,” but not that the sap is caustic. It has to go, now that I know. (And what a project that will be!)

2. Cheri Collins
    April 14, 2019 at 6:36 pm (3 months ago)

Maybe he needs more fat in this diet?

3. Esme
    March 30, 2010 at 11:48 pm (9 years ago)

Thanks for this-I did not know half of this-not that I feed them human food except for chicken.

4. Ingrid
    March 30, 2010 at 7:11 pm (9 years ago)

Glad you found the info useful, ihavecat!

Layla, Feebee used to lick salad dressing of my plate, too – he even ate any pieces of lettuce that were still left on the plate, as long as they were coated in dressing.

5. Layla Morgan Wilde
    March 30, 2010 at 3:34 pm (9 years ago)

Good to know about Xylitol. No chance of my kitties wanting anything sweet. They love salty. Merlin goes nuts licking salad dressing off my plate!

6. ihavecat
    March 30, 2010 at 12:18 pm (9 years ago)

good info! adorable picture! awww!

7. Ingrid
    March 30, 2010 at 6:42 am (9 years ago)

I’m glad the information about the plants was helpful, Mason.

Marg, the Xylitol is typically more of an issue with dogs, since they tend to get into candy more than cats, but I’ve heard of some kitty chocaholics, too. You have a wonderful Easter, too!

8. Marg
    March 29, 2010 at 9:41 am (9 years ago)

Great information. I didn’t know about the Xylitol. Will keep that in mind.Luckily we don’t have any sugar free candy here.
    Speaking of Easter, hope you have a wonderful Easter Amber. Maybe the bunny will bring you some extra treats.

9. Mason Canyon
    March 29, 2010 at 9:23 am (9 years ago)

I didn’t know about the Easter Lilies. Thanks for the heads up. Always have to be careful what type plants we have.