Mews and Nips: Animals Affected by Recent Hurricanes Still Need Your Help

cat-rescue-hurricane-irma-harvey

We usually feature a heart-warming cat story as the lead story in our weekly round up, but today, I’d like to focus again on what we can all do to help the animals displaced by hurricanes Harvey and Irma. You can find information on rescue organizations that help with post Harvey efforts here, and post Irma efforts here. If you know of other organizations that are also helping with post hurricane recovery, feel free to post them in a comment.

If you missed any of the stories featured on the Conscious Cat this week, here’s a recap: on Monday, we explained how you can detect deafness in cats, on Tuesday, we shared how the Assisi Loop is helping an 18-year-old cat with severe arthritis and spinal stenosis, on Wednesday, we shared the story of one lucky cat who found his forever home during Hurricane Irma, on Thursday, we reviewed Balanced Blends’ new raw turkey dinner, and on Friday, we told you about the Amazing Acro-Cats’ upcoming tour dates.

Today’s video features a case of “extreme grooming” – enjoy!

Have a great weekend!

6 Comments on Mews and Nips: Animals Affected by Recent Hurricanes Still Need Your Help

1. Johnny
    September 23, 2017 at 4:32 pm (3 weeks ago)

Just went back and read some of those posts. I’ve never actually thought about the issues of Natural Disasters and animals (since we live in a pretty disaster free zone at the moment.) Thanks for opening up my world to that and for sharing such an adooorable video <3

2. Ann
    September 23, 2017 at 10:25 am (4 weeks ago)

It’s critical for us to support organizations that are willing to honor a 30-day hold policy re: displaced animals, rather than euthanizing them after a brief hold. Pet families have already lost so much, and many are overwhelmed with the difficulty of searching multiple sites to locate their pets. Please support the effort to convince Texas organizations, e.g., the Houston SPCA and county shelters, to cooperate with animal rescue groups who have asked them to work together to use databases & establish a 30-day hold. Everyone should ask themselves: what if this were my companion animal being put down before I could find him/her?

September 24, 2017 at 5:17 am (3 weeks ago)

I agree, Ann. I was really upset when I first heard that animal rescue groups were shipping animals out of the disaster areas, until I realized that those were pets already in shelters so space could be freed up for those rescued from the disaster zone. It does sound like we learned at least some lessons from Katrina. I remember so many heartbreaking stories about Katrina dogs who were adopted into new loving homes, and then the original owners located them after the new owners had already bonded to their adoptees.

• Ann
        September 24, 2017 at 12:43 pm (3 weeks ago)

I volunteer with our local humane society, and we’ve taken at least 3 ‘deliveries’ from the South — all dogs and cats who were originally residents of shelters in TX. My/our greater concern is the refusal to commit to a 30-day hold for displaced pets at County facilities & other, larger organizations in TX. Best Friends has been working for reunification and housing displaced pets at the NRG Arena in Houston, but not all local groups have been willing/able to collaborate re: a 30-day hold. Euthanizing these animals after a brief hold is unconscionable.

3. Raine
    September 23, 2017 at 4:11 am (4 weeks ago)

It was a wonderful and informative week of posts, thank you for addressing this issue. It’s heartwarming and amazing how everyone comes together during a disaster to help. However, it always seems to me that once Mother Nature has moved on and the media coverage dies down that people forget the affected need the most help after the disaster.

September 24, 2017 at 5:19 am (3 weeks ago)

I worry about that, too, Raine. I already feel that the needs of Harvey victims have been pushed to the back of the list by Irma and Maria victims. They are all going to need help for months if not years to come.