A Visit to the Orlando Cat Café

orlando-cat-cafe

While I was in Orlando for Global Pet Expo, the Orlando Cat Café hosted me for a book signing. This was only my second visit to a cat café (Meow Parlour in New York City was the other one I visited,) and once again, I was impressed with how well executed the concept was.

The idea of cat cafés has been catching on like wildfire over the last few years, and new ones seem to be popping up in cities around the country all the time. The concept is similar for most: there’s a coffee shop area where you purchase your beverages and snacks, and then you pay a separate fee to enter the actual cat café to spend time with the cats. The cats come from local rescue groups and are all available for adoption.

orlando-cat-cafe

The Orlando Cat Café works with The Animal League, and they clearly know the cats in their program well. Not every cat would easily adapt to a cat café setting, so cats are carefully chosen and are given time to acclimate before being let out with visitors, although I watched a new litter of kittens arrive while I was there, and they seemed to have no problems checking things out right away.

orlando-cat-cafe

The vibe of the place was incredibly peaceful. While there was an occasional hiss or swat, most of the cats were confident, relaxed and clearly happy to be there.

orlando-cat-cafe

I got a chance to check out the back area of the café, and loved the individual cubbies (made from wine boxes) for the cats. I was very impressed with the lack of any kind of smell, even in the back area. Everything was scrupulously clean.

orlando-cat-cafe

And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention just how delicious the frothy concoction from Axum coffee that you see me holding in one of the photos was – I can’t recall what it was called, but it was a combination of coffee, milk, nutella and, of course, lots of whipped cream on top!

ingrid-king-tortoiseshell-cat

With Wild Cherry, the gorgeous tortie

For more information about the Orlando Cat Café, please visit their website.

14 Comments on A Visit to the Orlando Cat Café

1. Jessica
    April 21, 2017 at 1:49 pm (4 days ago)

Ingrid, It was so nice to meet you and Jodi! We so appreciate your stop at the Orlando Cat Cafe for the signing. Come back anytime! ~Purrs, Jessica and Sandy

April 21, 2017 at 2:07 pm (4 days ago)

It was great to meet you, too, Jessica – and I’d love to come back again!

2. Largest Cat Breed
    April 21, 2017 at 12:33 pm (4 days ago)

Oh my goodness! How fun! Great place to have a book signing. I would love to visit this place.

3. Ambika
    April 20, 2017 at 10:35 pm (5 days ago)

I want to visit the Chicago cat cafe. I just bought your book on tortitude and love it. I have a tortie now. Keep up the good work.

April 21, 2017 at 5:08 am (5 days ago)

I’m so glad you enjoyed my book, and welcome to the wonderful world of tortitude, Ambika!

4. Jackie Pasquini
    April 20, 2017 at 7:22 am (5 days ago)

What an awesome place for a book signing! I wouldn’t want to leave! I hope a lot more Cat Cafes start popping up!!

5. Nancy Faulkner
    April 19, 2017 at 8:15 pm (6 days ago)

Ingrid,

Hope you sold more copies of your books! Believe, I have them all. Should list all yor published books so fans can see what they may not have.

As for those cat cafes, not sure if there are any in the Midwest. As for me I would love to work, and permanently move in a cat cafe. Spend the rest of my days in a cat cafe!

The cats do look contented. Who wants to be holed up in a cage all the time! Sure they liked being petted, loved, and especially get a forever, happy, loving home!

April 20, 2017 at 5:22 am (6 days ago)

I think there are a couple of cat cafes opening in Chicago soon, Nancy.

6. Donna Baumoehl
    April 19, 2017 at 11:46 am (6 days ago)

I have four felines and love most every critter especially dogs and dolphins. I live in Tampa and would love to visit one of these days. I regard animals as more important and superior to humans.

7. Random Felines
    April 19, 2017 at 11:04 am (6 days ago)

what fun – we love seeing these cafes pop up and offer people the ability to see cats in a different setting. the ones we follow seem to do a great job with adoptions. and we LOVE the wine boxes as beds – too cute

8. Georgia
    April 19, 2017 at 10:44 am (6 days ago)

How fun! Great place to have a book signing.

9. Janine
    April 19, 2017 at 8:37 am (6 days ago)

I would love to visit here. but I might not ever want to leave.

10. Connie Fischer
    April 19, 2017 at 8:31 am (6 days ago)

Oh my gosh! Wild Cherry is a gorgeous tortie. I have a tortie and they are the most unpredictable but quiet, sweet, and loving breed. I would love to visit this Cafe. Thanks for sharing. I also must get a copy of “Tortitude.”

11. Summer
    April 19, 2017 at 2:32 am (7 days ago)

How fun that you not only got to visit the Orlando Cat Cafe, but also got to do a book signing there!