When a Cat Literally Saves Your Life

grey-tabby

Some cats change our lives. Cats like A Street Cat Named Bob, who helped James Bowen go from down on his luck drug addict to bestselling author. Cats like Lil BUB, who started her “Dude” Mike Bridavsky, on an amazing, magical journey that is helping raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for special needs pets. And then there were my own three life-changing cats.

Amber inspired this blog. Buckley inspired an entire book, Buckley’s Story: Lessons from a Feline Master Teacher. Between the blog and the book, my life changed in ways I never could have imagined.

But it was Feebee, my first cat, who arguably had the biggest impact on my life: he literally saved it.

Pawculture recently published my article about this deeply personal experience.

Click here to read “My Cat (Literally) Saved My Life”

Conscious Cat Sunday/Sunday Purrs of Wisdom will return next week.

Purrs pre-order banner

17 Comments on When a Cat Literally Saves Your Life

1. Lisa B
    March 25, 2017 at 11:33 am (1 month ago)

I’m sorry you were in a dark and painful place and I’m grateful Feebee was there to help you through. You’ve gone on to touch many lives and to improve them with your wisdom.

2. Kathy
    March 24, 2017 at 1:58 am (1 month ago)

Here too! Thank you for sharing your story! Lucy came into my life after a close friend and business partner died by suicide. This little girl at just 6 1/2 lbs saved me from the darkness. Now I’m taking care of her…she really is my world, this little Siamese mix, so full of love and grace.

March 24, 2017 at 5:59 am (1 month ago)

I’m sorry about your loss, Kathy. I’m glad Lucy was there for you.

3. Georgia
    March 19, 2017 at 11:51 pm (1 month ago)

What a sad but beautiful story with a happy ending!

4. Ida Gales
    March 19, 2017 at 11:40 pm (1 month ago)

My “FeeBee” was a lovely little tuxedo princess named “Gabrielle.” There were many many times I thought of ending it, and a little black body would appear out of nowhere as if to say, “what about me? You’ve still got me!” Unfortunately, that ended 3/22/16 when I had to have her put down after a 15 month battle with pancreatic cancer. She was a fighter to the end. How I miss you, Miss G!

March 20, 2017 at 5:23 am (1 month ago)

I’m glad you had Gabrielle to get you through your dark times, Ida. It must have been so devastating when you had to let her go.

5. Jackie Pasquini
    March 19, 2017 at 8:15 pm (1 month ago)

Thank you Ingrid for sharing your story. I just got to read it now and I am in tears. The love for a cat and from a cat is like nothing else.

6. Maria
    March 19, 2017 at 4:11 pm (1 month ago)

I cried while reading this; there have been times when I was about to give up, or give in, when I’ve been unable to see anything good in life…but the cat I have, and the cats before, all they had was me. I would never make that choice, to leave them. Thank you for sharing this.

March 19, 2017 at 4:45 pm (1 month ago)

I’m glad cats have helped you not give up, Maria.

7. Cat Fleming
    March 19, 2017 at 4:00 pm (1 month ago)

I just read your article about Feebee saving your life, and it made me choke up. You see I am going through a dark place in my life also. I lost an older cat Mollie in Oct last year, then my mother also passed away after a short sudden illness a week before Christmas. In January, my 6 yr old male cat Vader choked on something he had swallowed & passed before we could get him some help, then just 5 days later, Vader’s brother Solo passed suddenly after a battle with gi issues. I was in shock and at a very low part of my life, but through it all, my remaining cats were there cuddling me, purring & also letting me cry in their fur., and I realized if I were to end it all, there would be no one to take care of them. I have 4 children who care about me, but they have their own lives & families, but my kitties have only me. They are my reason to live. Thank you for your article, it renewed my resolve to get through the stuff that I still have to face. ☺️

March 19, 2017 at 4:46 pm (1 month ago)

Oh Cat, that’s an awful lot of loss so close together. I’m glad my article helped, and that your cats are helping you get through this difficult time. My heart goes out to you.

8. Denise
    March 19, 2017 at 2:50 pm (1 month ago)

I had a very sever case of pneumonia last year and my cat Arya never left my side. I had to be hospitalized three times and the nurses said I scared them because I stopped breathing. At home I guess I did the same. My husband said he could barely hear me breathing and I didn’t count, but I was woken up several times by a gentle paw on my cheek and a meow in my face. We now call Arya, “nurse Arya.” I believe she saved me during my illness in ore ways than one.

March 19, 2017 at 3:02 pm (1 month ago)

Nurse Arya sounds like a very special girl, Denise. I love hearing stories like yours.

9. Cindy
    March 19, 2017 at 10:34 am (1 month ago)

Ingrid, We are all very grateful that you stayed. You have contributed so much to so many lives, human and feline. Thank you for being here, and for making it through the very difficult times.

March 19, 2017 at 3:02 pm (1 month ago)

Thank you for your beautiful words, Cindy.

10. Steph
    March 19, 2017 at 10:26 am (1 month ago)

Thank you Ingrid. I appreciate you sharing this.

March 19, 2017 at 7:20 am (1 month ago)

Thanks for sharing.