Wellness Cat Food Recall

wellness-cat-food-recall

Wellness is voluntarily recalling a small amount of their canned cat foods from retailers’ shelves. According to the company’s website, “keeping your trust in our brand is so important to us, and so we wanted to let you and our retailers know right away. Since the products may not have been made consistent with our quality assurance guidelines, we want to replace them. Our Quality team learned that a foreign material was found in non-WellPet products made in the same facility, and so we are taking this conservative step to ensure the well-being of cats and to put our consumers’ minds at ease.”

The recipes are in 12.5 oz. cans with the following best buy dates:

Wellness Canned Cat 12.5 oz Chicken & Herring – 08/04/2019
Wellness Canned Cat 12.5 oz Chicken –  08/03/2019 & 08/04/2019
Wellness Canned Cat 12.5 oz Chicken & Lobster –  08/04/2019
Wellness Canned Cat 12.5 oz Turkey & Salmon – 08/05/2019
Wellness Canned Cat 12.5 oz Turkey – 08/04/2019 & 08/05/2019
Wellness Canned Cat 12.5 oz Beef & Chicken -08/05/2019
Wellness Canned Cat 12.5 oz Beef & Salmon -08/05/2019

If you have any of the 12.5 oz recipes with these best buy dates, email info@wellpet.com or call 1-877-227-9587 and they’ll replace your product.

For more information about the recall, please visit the Wellness website.

39 Comments on Wellness Cat Food Recall

1. Lynne D.
    April 11, 2017 at 4:35 pm (2 months ago)

I feed my cat Wellness Core Cat Food for the first time two weeks ago. Two hours later he was in severe distress. The episode passed but he continued to experience almost daily episodes of respiratory distress and collapse. He never improved and we aren’t sure what happened to cause.

April 11, 2017 at 4:41 pm (2 months ago)

I’m so sorry, Lynne! Please report this to Wellness and the FDA. I know it won’t bring your precious boy back, but it may help others.

2. Catlady9
    March 15, 2017 at 11:35 am (2 months ago)

We have 9 indoor cats who are our babies since we chose not to have people babies. We buy our food by the case 4 cases at a time. My cats have been sick and some would just not eat the canned food from Wellness chicken the recalled 12.5 cans. I was not notified but just had this feeling to look up recalled moist food and low and behold I had already fed one case of the recalled food and 1 1/2 cans of the 2nd case. My cats have been throwing up daily with one cat throwing up mucus with blood in it!!!! Tried to take her to the vet but she scratched the daylight out of my husband and ran and hid. Then later ate her contaminated food since I still did not know. I have been at my wits end trying to figure out what is wrong!!!!!!!!! Also upset with the company that they would not notify the specific people who has purchased those contaminated foods!!! After reading the other stories I am seriously thinking of changing foods! I feel that if the company really cared about there consumers and there animal families they would have gone out of there way to let us know about the food recall! All I can say is reckless and dishonest and has probably hurt the company more than helped them by not making this error made know. I want to say I am so sorry to hear about the kitty who died and the others who are sick like mine! I will be praying for all of our furry family for complete recovery without any residual health issues!!!

March 15, 2017 at 11:42 am (2 months ago)

I’m so sorry about your babies. If you haven’t already done so, please report this to the FDA and to Wellness. All my best to your babies for a full and quick recovery.

• Catlady9
        March 15, 2017 at 12:01 pm (2 months ago)

Thank you! I did call the company to report my recalled food and they are sending me 2 non recalled cases. I did not say too much yesterday. I think I was so relieved to find out what was going on that I just wanted it to go away. Today I am upset and angry especially after reading others stories. I will do as you have mention. Thank you again!

• Jessica Nichols
          March 15, 2017 at 12:38 pm (2 months ago)

I hope they feel better once you switch their food! I am glad you found out! Sending you and your kitties love!

3. Jessica Nichols
    March 2, 2017 at 10:33 pm (3 months ago)

I have been purchasing Wellness Chicken canned cat food for my cat on amazon for about a year now. February 15 I got an email that said it was being recalled/discontinued due to a quality issue.

I suspect it could have been the food, especially after reading a lot of other people have had similar issues recently.

My kitty fell ill Jan 20 and I put him to sleep a week later. He had stopped eating altogether, was very lethargic, stopped grooming, vomiting up what little food he did eat, had trouble breathing, and looked miserable. I took him to the vet and he was hospitalized for 3 days. They couldn’t find anything obvious and sent him home. He had a fever and they got that down with medicine (cat Tylenol maybe?). After I took him home, he didn’t get any better. They wanted to put a feeding tube in, but I decided to put him to sleep because his quality of life was poor. Also, I suspected it was something serious since the vet had ruled out a bunch of other things. He had x-rays done, blood work, etc. His blood work, x rays, were normal. (Although his liver enzymes were a little high). He was dying because he wasn’t eating (jaundice). The vet didn’t know what was wrong, but suggested it COULD be intestinal lymphoma, etc. since my kitty had intestinal issues.

I never suspected the food, but if I would have gotten that email while I still had my kitty, I would have put him on the feeding tube and switched his food.

I feel terrible, but I just was doing what I thought was best.

I hope all the other sick pets are ok!

I am glad that Wellness recalled the food, BUT they should have found it sooner!!! I feel like they should have known earlier and alerted everyone. It may have saved my cat.

I sent Wellness and email and no response. I also reported to the FDA.

I hope that Wellness gets to the root of the problem and prevents this from ever happening again.

I will probably not buy it anymore, what is the best brand to buy? I thought Wellness was one of the best?? Fresh Pet??

• Jessica
        March 3, 2017 at 12:24 pm (3 months ago)

Thank you for the info Ingrid!

• Gloria
      May 15, 2017 at 4:41 pm (2 weeks ago)

I have been feeding Wellness Chicken in the 3oz cans to my 2 cats for 10 years. For the last couple of months now they won’t eat it. I’m switching brands. Something has obviously changed at Wellness. One of my cats developed an auto-immune disease. i think it’s the food.

4. Brenda
    February 16, 2017 at 10:35 am (3 months ago)

My cats have become seriously ill after eating the chicken wellness. One is pooping blood and projectile vomiting. One is throwing up and diarehha and one is extremly lethargic with vomiting. All have been taken to the vet and given fluids. They may need to be hospitalized. I’m sick with worry and will never buy this product again. Blue Buffalo also has a recall for the same problem.

February 16, 2017 at 10:55 am (3 months ago)

February 16, 2017 at 10:55 am (3 months ago)

That’s terrible, Brenda. There are multiple active recalls (all the others are for dog food) of several other brands for this same reason, which probably means the problem is with the manufacturing plant. All my best to your kitties!

February 16, 2017 at 10:55 am (3 months ago)

• Scott
      February 23, 2017 at 7:20 pm (3 months ago)

That happened to my cat too. Did you happen to find any more information on this?

5. Bev
    February 15, 2017 at 12:52 am (3 months ago)

How can I find out about pet food recalls? Is there an alert you can set up?

February 15, 2017 at 6:19 am (3 months ago)

The FDA website lets you subscribe to recall alerts, Bev.

• Renee
        March 1, 2017 at 10:39 pm (3 months ago)

Not for long, re: FDA and recalls. Not sure how this information will consistently reach the public. Another reason to make your own pet food. Easy.

6. Pam
    February 14, 2017 at 9:03 am (3 months ago)

Ingrid, I’ve just joined your group. Thank you for providing us with credible, immediate information and feedback about this recall and other important information to help us better care for our kitties. It’s great that Chanda was available to respond to our concerns, as I do feed my cat Wellness. (in the 5.5oz cans) Thank you Chanda for your follow up.

February 14, 2017 at 9:27 am (3 months ago)

Thank you for subscribing, Pam!

7. Dan
    February 13, 2017 at 3:41 pm (3 months ago)

I do feed this to my cats, since they nnay already have eaten some, what is the foreign material and what reactions if any should I watch for ?

Thanks

• Denise Omernick
      February 13, 2017 at 7:20 pm (3 months ago)

pieces of metal

• Dan
        February 14, 2017 at 10:44 am (3 months ago)

Thank you.
        Wellness seems to have very high quality control standards and have certainly earned my trust.

• Brenda
          February 16, 2017 at 12:16 pm (3 months ago)

Dan, if your cats were pooping blood like mine,,you might change your mind.

• Carol Brandt
            February 17, 2017 at 9:12 pm (3 months ago)

Praying for your kitties. Contact them.

February 14, 2017 at 6:08 am (3 months ago)

According to an email I received from Chanda from Wellness, “Our Quality team was notified that a small amount of metal was found in non-WellPet products made in the same facility. There were no injuries. The chance of any other products being affected is very remote. We know it’s concerning and certainly want to keep our cats safe, so we took this step out of an abundance of caution. We are letting our consumers and retailers and distributors know this.”

• Dan
        February 14, 2017 at 10:41 am (3 months ago)

Although not good, my concern was it may have been chemical in nature. Thank you Wellness for your high standards in quality control.

8. Bob Lamb
    February 12, 2017 at 8:15 pm (3 months ago)

These are our brands–the Turkey and the Chicken & Herring. But we use 5.5 ounce cans. What I don’t understand is this. Are the 12.5 ounce cans and the 5.5 ounce cans made in separate facilities? That doesn’t make sense, unless the recall has something to do with the can itself. They had better provide more information than this. I’m calling them tomorrow and I will be very angry.

February 13, 2017 at 6:18 am (3 months ago)

It could have something to do with the cans itself, or the equipment the larger cans are made on, Bob. Please let us know if you find out additional information.

• Chanda Leary
        February 13, 2017 at 9:46 am (3 months ago)

Hi Bob & Ingrid, this is Chanda Leary from Wellness Natural Pet Food. The can sizes you feed were not made on the same production line, so we can assure you with full confidence they were not affected. Only the 12.5 oz. cans with the best buy dates listed were involved. If you have any additional questions, we’re here to help. Please call us at 877.227.9587. Thanks.

• Ryan K-ratt
          February 27, 2017 at 11:36 pm (3 months ago)

I must have lucked out. My bengal cat wouldn’t eat her food for about 4 days, and I almost took her too the vet. Thank goodness. She must have sniffed it out. But there was definitely something wrong with her food.

• Carrie Jamrogowicz
          February 27, 2017 at 11:46 pm (3 months ago)

I don’t even feed Wellness but I love that their people are out here replying to these things.

9. Elizabeth
    February 12, 2017 at 11:24 am (4 months ago)

Is Core grainfree included in the recall?

• Chanda Leary
      February 13, 2017 at 9:43 am (3 months ago)

Hi Elizabeth, this is Chanda Leary from Wellness Natural Pet Food. Wellness CORE cans are not affected at all. If you have any questions, feel free to call us today at 877.227.9587. Thanks.

10. Shane
    February 12, 2017 at 8:12 am (4 months ago)

Same recall petco just had on some of their brand of canned cat food. Is Petco’s food made by Wellness or vice-versa?

February 12, 2017 at 11:34 am (4 months ago)

It’s possible that both brands are made at the same facility, Shane.

11. Esme
    February 12, 2017 at 1:49 am (4 months ago)

Thank you-this is our brand.

• Chanda from Wellness
      February 13, 2017 at 1:36 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Esme, my name is Chanda Leary and I’m with Wellness Natural Pet Food. This only affects a limited amount of 12.5 oz canned cat products with the listed best by dates. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 877.227.9587. Thanks.

February 11, 2017 at 3:29 pm (4 months ago)

Shared. We don’t use this kind. Thanks.