Conscious Cat Sunday: How Cats Helped Me Find My Bliss

Ruby_Ingrid_The_Conscious_Cat

I’ve been on a journey of following my bliss for more than two decades now. Not surprisingly, cats have not only been teachers throughout those years, they also played a significant role in helping me guide me toward the fulfilling career I have now: writing about and working with cats.

A couple of weeks ago, I was the featured guest on Dr. Heike Jung’s weekly webinar series. Dr. Jung is a life coach, business owner and healer and the owner DBL Coaching. She began her career as a veterinarian working with large and small animals. She soon expanded her skills to become an equine chiropractor, a co-owner of a vet clinic, and a certified horse trainer. And it was the horses who taught Dr. Jung how to be a better leader. I met Heike at a continuing education seminar for veterinarians, and quickly realized that I had met a kindred spirit. Horses are to Heike what cats are to me: Heike’s book, Even Unicorns Need to Learn How to Fly: Horse-Inspired Lessons about Health, Wealth, and Relationships, is a collection of stories of how horses have been teachers and healers in her life.

Dr. Jung’s weekly webinars usually focus on veterinary topics, but since we both experienced guidance from animals in our lives, we felt that the topic of how pets help us find our bliss was one that her usual audience would enjoy as well. Some of you watched the webinar live and you asked some great questions. For those of you who missed it, I’m delighted to share the recording with you today.

We covered a lot of ground in just half an hour:

• my path to working with animals
  • what it’s like to work with animals
  • how pets handle death
  • how cats can help us find bliss in our personal and professional lives
  • how I became a cat person
  • how the veterinary community views my work

For more information about Dr. Heike Jung, please visit http://www.DBLCoaching.com. Dr. Jung is offering a special 20% discount to Conscious Cat readers – use code ConCat at checkout.

books banner for posts

7 Comments on Conscious Cat Sunday: How Cats Helped Me Find My Bliss

1. Dienna Howard
    March 3, 2016 at 12:56 am (2 years ago)

This was a great interview! I loved your comment about cats living in the moment. We should follow their lead.

2. Deziz World
    February 28, 2016 at 5:08 pm (2 years ago)

ConCats on your feature.

Luv ya’

Dezi and Lexi

February 28, 2016 at 5:20 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you!

3. Janine
    February 28, 2016 at 7:40 am (2 years ago)

I really enjoyed this post. Cats make a huge impact on our lives and I do believe they help form us to what we are today. I have had at least one cat for as long as I can remember and they have become the most important part of my life helping me through some of my toughest times.

February 28, 2016 at 5:19 pm (2 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed this post, Janine.

4. Tired
    February 28, 2016 at 1:25 am (2 years ago)

Ditto. I have always known that I would not still be alive [having been given a max of 6 months to live — for the 3rd time in my life, & that was back in 1983!] had it not been for the then-two rescued kitties that I’d committed to care for through to the end of their natural lives. Some days it was touch and go for 24 hrs at a time; others, was an hr by hr struggle to stay ahead of death. But I refused to give up for them as they had nowhere else to go; and the same holds true now for my current rescues who are here because I was their last hope; their last stop before the rainbow bridge. Too bad I cannot get any (appropriate) help because if I go, they’ll all have to be put to death because they’re older and special-needs since they first arrived needing urgent care to survive.

February 28, 2016 at 5:39 am (2 years ago)

I’m glad your kitties saved your life! I urge you to look into sanctuaries who will care for special needs cats after their owners pass. North Shore Animal League America’s Surviving Pet Care program will provide shelter and medical care for pets until they can be adopted into loving homes. Bidawee’s Loving Legacy program is committed to making sure that your cat spends the rest of its life in a warm, loving environment. The San Francisco SPCA’s Sido Program takes cats into their adoption program, where they receive loving care and attention while they work to place them in the best possible home. There are many others, and you do not necessarily have to live in the area where the sanctuary is located to avail yourself of their services. It just requires advance planning and a will and/or pet trust to ensure that your wishes are carried out.